“Awesome! Can't wait to stay there again!” 5 of 5 stars

Catalonia Atocha
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Atocha 81, 28012 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #39 of 458 Hotels in Madrid
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome! Can't wait to stay there again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

EVERYTHING! Should say everything? Did I mention, everything? Location was great, room was much more than I expected (the on line photos don't do it justice), and the staff...I can't say enough about them. They were professional, courteous, helpful, and kind. With my limited Spanish they went out of their way to meet my needs and ensure my comfort. They even did something small that really touched me in a big way. I was supposed to get a daily paper but they had run out of copies. I mentioned it to them and they said if I needed one there was a newsstand nearby. I went up to my room and very soon when I came out, a daily paper was hanging from the door latch just for me. They didn't have to do that, but it was little things like that, that made the difference. Others were making sure I knew exactly where to go to find the sights I wanted to see, and recommended some of the most awesome places to eat. I will be back to Madrid soon and I can't wait to stay at this location again (hopefully I can get the same room on the top floor). I just can't say enough about this hotel. I LOVED EVERYTHING AND EVERY MINUTE about this location while I was there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
After reading your kind review, we printed a copy of it and now it is hanging in our Staff Information Board with the following note written on it "This is exactly what we expect from you. Congratulations to everyone". Thank you, thank you and a thousand times thank you. Of course, it will be a great pleasure to see you again very soon. Best regards from Madrid.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

A clean and comfortable hotel in a great location. Within walking distance of hundreds of restaurants & bars, prado, puerto del sol & the palace. Room was a good size (queen bed) and very peaceful-room overlooked an internal courtyard. There is a rooftop terrace with plunge pool for when the weather is nice enough.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear guest,

The title of your review summarizes what we want to offer to our guests: a beautiful hotel near the main tourist sites with a good balance between price and quality and, of course, a good service. We are very glad to know that you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you very much for your time and your kindness. Best regards from Spain.
Mount Olive, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We had a great 6 night stay! Our rooms were large, comfortable, and quiet, and the shower was "fantastic" (to use another reviewer's word). The hotel staff were very professional, friendly, and helpful. They answered all of our questions, made dinner reservations, and drew routes for us on our maps so that we would not get lost. We also appreciated the housekeeping staff who cleaned our rooms every day and made them look nice to return to each afternoon. The breakfast was very good with lots of choices, and we greatly enjoyed the fresh fruit every morning - especially the strawberries. We also appreciated the free wi-fi in our rooms. The hotel is well located for walking to the museums, shops, and restaurants. We all agree that if we return to Madrid, we will stay at the Catalonia Atocha!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Rather nice; nothing special, but you won't miss a thing. Modern, clean hotel, however, without particular Spanish spirit. Good example of a chain outlet you will find everywhere. I really miss bathroom being not a fan of shower. But cleaning is amazing! Staff at the reception is helpful and hospitable. Breakfast is nothing special, coffee is not something you would be abided by. I was disappointed of having such a small team to host a breakfast: if you are late you would be a lucky one to find a clear table. Recommend rooms with view not to the street, as it can be noisy. But overall, that is a good place to stay, in hand distance to everything you would like to see and adore.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear guest,

We are especially happy of reading your nice review, as we are receiving more and more Russian guests day after day. And it is very interesting for us to know about their opinion. They will become one of the most important tourist group in the next years and we would like to become one of their favorite hotels in Madrid. We will print your review for our Cleaning Staff. We are sure they will feel very proud of their job after reading your nice words about the cleaning. Thank you very much indeed for your time. Best regards from Madrid
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Very pleasant stay. Full of tour groups but since I was on a tour that was to be expected. It does make breakfasts a little rushed though with large groups all trying to get in and out quickly.
The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Prado, Plaza Mayor and other attractions.
The room was quite dark but I guess they are keeping costs down by saving on electricity. It was very clean and the bed was comfortable.
Tea and coffee and an electric jug in the room would have been nice. There was no clock in the room.
We had free wi-fi which was a bit tricky to use because it kept dropping out.
Overall, for the cost, I thought this hotel delivered what was necessary for a pleasant stay. I might not stay here if was travelling solo instead of in a tour group.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear guest,

It is true that our perception of a hotel can be very different depending on the circumstances. The fact of having two or three tourist groups in the hotel within the same period is not usually a problem. But it turns out that sometimes they decide to have breakfast at the same time. And this is exactly what happened during your stay in the hotel. Since then, we made a decision: in case we have a situation like this in the future, we will try to organize the breakfast time with the different Tour Leaders. The idea is not to have more than one group in the breakfast restaurant. We hope this will help us to avoid the "chaos" in our Breakfast room. Thank you very much for your very useful review. We wish we will see you again soon in our beautiful hotel. Best regards from Madrid.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Check-in was friendly and efficient, and while not exactly in the middle of tourism sites, it was pretty close - a short walk or cab ride. The room was comfortable and quiet and the shower was fantastic. Because we booked online, we received a credit for a free drink in the nice bar. The only downsides were that the wifi in the room was not a great signal (and you had to log in to it each time), and as there didn't appear to be a concierge desk, we had to rely on the front desk for a shopping recommendation (which didn't turn out to be too good.) Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear guest,

We are very happy to know that you had a nice stay overall. Regarding the Wi-Fi signal, we will contact the supplier of this service to check the strength of the signal, as we have been observing a lack of signal at the end of some corridors. By the way, It is true that the system disconnects you automatically in case you are not using the Internet. But this is not due to a system malfunction. In fact, it helps the people who are working with the computer to get a higher speed. We hope you won't have this inconvenience in your next stay in the hotel. Thank you very much for your comprehension. Best regards.

Been to Catalonia Atocha? Share your experiences!