“Great hotel for central Madrid” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Atocha 81, 28012 Madrid, Spain (Huertas)   |
Ranked #37 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Great hotel for central Madrid”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Catalonia Atocha is a great hotel for Central Madrid. I'm on my second stay here, and yet again it is spotlessly clean.

The rooms are very modern (those looking for old fashioned 'character' should go elsewhere). As a down-side the restaurant area is too modern, and a bit clinical, so I never ate there, but there are lots of eateries in the area.

My only other 'gripe' I that I asked for an iron/ironing board for my room, and got a knock at the door at 23:35 when it was delivered, but at least I got one!

Calle Atocha is in the heart of all the central amenities, so great for tourists and business-folk alike.

I've been here on business, but when I return for a leisure trip I know we're I'll be staying. Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your very kind review. Regarding the style of the Snack Bar decor, we have received plenty of different opinions and we must say that most of them where quite enthusiastic, but finally it is a question of different tastes. But regarding the iron board, we have already ordered an extra one to avoid in the future making our guests to wait for such a long time. Thank you again for your compliments. Best regards from Madrid.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Very good location, cosy place to stay up to one week. Cool dzhakuzzi on the roof with terrace. Welcoming lobby, free wi-fi! Cool big shower, suitable for two persons simultaneously ;-) A little bit expensive breakfast, but you do not have to pay for it every day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

In a great location. Easy access to metrostation. The neighborhood is good with nice restaurants and bars within walking distance. The rooftop terrace with hottub was fabulous. Also great views from here. Nicely decorated rooms and clean!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SANFORD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hotel is in a central location close to the train station. The room were nice and we slept quite well. The breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Beautiful hotel in a great location -metro almost outside the front door and all the sites are within walking distance. Rooms are great, amazing bathrooms and staff are really friendly.

Only reason I didnt give it excellent was that we ate in the cafe that is part of the hotel and the food was awful, but otherwise an excellent find and would stay again!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
It is a pitty your lunch didn't reach your expectations. Even if most of our guests are pretty happy with the service and food, we are working to improve our Snack Bar offer for next year. As I see, you have been really satisfied with the hotel, so I hope you will give another chance to our Restaurant in your next trip to Madrid. Thank you very much indeed for your kind review. Best regards.
Korcula Island, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I can write all the compliments for this hotel. Room was brand new and clean, If you are staying for a short period as I did location is ideal. All the main things to see are walking distance. Plaza Santa Ana is few minutes away where you can go to lot of night clubs and caffe bars, but away enough and it is quite for sleeping at night.
Breakfast was excellent, what ever crosses your mind was at that table!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Your opinion will be transferred to our Staff. They will be happy to know how much you appreciated our facilities and service, specially our Buffet breakfast. Thank you again for your compliments. Best regards.
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here in June. I know Madrid fairly well and have stayed in different areas but this time my main requirements were somewhere central (walking distance to Plaza Santa Ana), close to the train station (Atocha Renfe) and close to the galleries (I was there largely to see the new Hopper exhibition which is amazing) .

This hotel ticked all those boxes and then some. I was travelling solo so was allocated one of the smaller rooms but it had an external window, and all the facilities of the bigger rooms. Decor is fresh and recent, air con is good and controllable, bed linen is good quality, bathrooms are modern with rain showers and plenty of fresh fluffy towels, and there is a flat screen tv. The hotel is not a five star hotel but the rooms were really very good for the price.

Hotel facilities include computers in the lobby and a bar/restaurant which appears a little functional due to the bright lights but service is pleasant and efficient, and it is convenient if you arrive late, or off a long flight and want a quick bite/drink before going to your room.

The number 1 thing about this hotel is the location. It is a two minute walk to Plaza Santa Ana, two minutes more to tapas central, three/four minute walk to the Thyssen, Prado etc. And those short walks take you past lots of interesting local bakeries, bars, restaurants etc. There is a metro entrance 50m away which is super for accessing the rest of the city if you don't want to walk, although Madrid is a very walkable city. If you want to be near the action and many of the main tourist sights this is a really excellent location. As a sole female I felt very safe walking to/from all those locations late at night.

I paid 90 per night for my room and I rate this as really excellent for the quality of the room combined with the location and in particular for me the amazing proximity to the main galleries. There are some excellent value restaurants close by and if you dont want to bust the bank I would recommend this hotel. Vuelvo!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
As far as I see, you know the city better than some of us! Thank you Madam, we felt very proud of our work after reading your very kind review. We hope we will see you again in the near future. Best regards.

Been to Catalonia Atocha? Share your experiences!