“VAT REFUND A JOKE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Corte Ingles

El Corte Ingles
Preciados, 3, 28013 Madrid, Spain (Centro)
34 913 798 000
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 113 shopping in Madrid
Type: Department Stores, Bar/ Clubs
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This department store sells some of Spain's finest designer products, from clothing to luggage.
toronto
“VAT REFUND A JOKE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was at El Corte in Malaga, on the front door it says, tax-free for tourists and then I got in bought some stuff and then when I filled everything out for my refund, POOF! They took almost all of it!
10% discount??? What? They have about a 28% commission charge!
Nice stuff but sort of a waste of time.

Visited January 2013

• Greek first
3 attraction reviews
“vat refund and 10% tourist refund ... what a joke!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

So I took the time to get the 10% tourist discount card that is advertised all over El Corte Inglés. I got the card only to find out that the 1 day card is only good in about 10 % of the merchandise. The things I bought that day (about €500 worth of electronics and clothes) were all exempt from the discount. What a waste of time.

And then I went to get the VAT refund just to find out that El Corte Inglés has such high fees to process the VAT refund that only half of the VAT is actually refunded ( it wasn't always this way, about six months ago they charged a €9 flat fee and refunded all the VAT but now they are going with the rest of VAT processing companies, like TaxFree or Premier, who charge SO much money to do the processing that one wonders, is it worth the trouble?). So maybe next time I don't worry about VAT and let the government keep the tax; it looks like they need it.

Visited January 2013
107 attraction reviews
“Almost overwhelming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I guess theres not much more you could expect from europes biggest department store. The variety of stuff on show is absolutely mind boggling.many tourists dont realise that every el corte ingles has an incredible supermarket in the basements of the buildings.

Australia
“El Corte Ingles - Tourist - tax free - beware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Visited Spain recently, read a lot about the pick pocket that I think is a national disgrace to Spain, those are the first think in most tourist mind before, during and perhaps after the visit.. love the attraction though. Has tried to be more careful after reading all bad experience by other visitor, still Iost my camera after watching food ball game.. went to El Corte Inglis in Madrid to buy a new one, the staff ensure us as a tourist we can get the 21% tax back because the VAT tax is 21% in Spain now, so we are happy and they processed all documents for us ( my mistake I did not checked it right away), when I get to Barcelona, I realised they only refund me refund me 10% of the total purchase price. my camera cost around E680, the VAT is around E114 - El Corte deduct commission around E46 ( they deduct over 40% of the total tax refund)
I went to their Barcelona store and ask the staff at the camera section - how much tax refund will I get if I buy a camera, she also say 21% -full tax refunded. when I said I did not get that she was surprise, so she asked me to go to the tax free section and they said it was goverment policy I only get the amount I got, I showed them it was their commission,but they said no it was goverment policy, I am not sure about that? after arguing with them they said I can go up to the camera section and return the camera but they refused because of some small scratch.. that was it, I got robbed twice in Spain..once by the ladrons (thieves) and one by El Corte Ingles (biggest department store in Spain) for my tax refund... so other tourist beware, make sure you ask and check the actual tax refund before you buy...

Visited December 2012
madrid
“New Gourmet Experience de El Corte Inglés en Callao”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I enjoy having this service right in the center of Madrid.

The first thing that I have to say is that I'm fan of these places (mini-mall).

It opened this week so I went there this past weekend, and tried many food delicatessen ..... I had a snack at "The Machine-Gran Vía-" a good Spaniard restaurant, also at the "Central Mexican" tried a rich chicken and finally I ended having lunch at the "hamburger Nostra" to enjoy a tasty burger.

There are also many other dining spaces there such as vegetarian food, pizza, oriental (2), from Basque region, oyster-cellar, Iberian products, ice cream .. ...

Of course you may also find a complete luxury offer of the superb selection of gourmet products of the El Corté Inglés.

The place has splendid views , there is also a terrace with plants, tables, and seats, a space for smoking, or to enjoy at summer time (now with stoves) .....

Everything looks great.