Update of original review October 4, 2011. My husband and I were fortunate enough to revisit the 5 star Hotel Ritz in Madrid recently. To our amazement and delight the experience was even better than last year. How is that possible? Let me share a few examples:
1. The doorman on duty when we arrived, Ivan, greeted us by name, a huge welcoming smile, and this greeting: "welcome home"!!!!
2. The check-in procedure was seamless and we were escorted to our beautiful room overlooking the Prado, by Francisco Jose Goya, ( a Manager ) the moment we checked in. (All guests are escorted to their rooms by an executive from Recepcion--quite a nice touch).
3. Our luggage was waiting for us in our room as we entered!
4. The welcoming platter of delicious pastry and fruit, and bottled water arrived before we had opened even 1 suitcase!
5. The large bedroom and marble bathroom were beautifully decorated, spotless, and filled with extra towels and toiletries.
6. The buffet breakfast in the dining room was a feast for the eyes and senses. If you wished anything that was not dis-
played, your request was always fulfilled---and if you have special dietary restrictions, the staff in the dining room goes out of their way to accommodate you. My husband decided to be a little decadent one morning and ordered hot chocolate!!! He is
now spoiled forever! When you order your morning coffee, it is poured for you from one of their beautifully polished silver
coffee pots (all their sterling silver is breathtaking ), and if you wish a "refill"--you receive a FRESH UNUSED CUP!!! EACH AND EVERY TIME!!! Now that is 5 Star treatment.
7. The Senior Staff, including the General Manager of the Ritz, continue to walk through the lobbies welcoming guests, and
asking them whether they need anything -----as i said last year, be careful what you request because if it is possible they will provide it to you!!!!
8. There were a number of young children staying at the hotel, and the interaction between them and the hotel staff was charming, right down to the coloring books and crayons provided at breakfast.
9. The location of the Ritz is perfect--whether you choose to visit The Thyssen, The Prado, the Botanical Gardens, Retiro Park, shop on Serrano, tour on the Hop On/ Hop Off bus, etc., it is all there for you to enjoy and within walking distance.
10. The Concierge Desk is staffed with the most helpful and knowledgeable employees; Borja, Alejandro, Jesus to name a few always at the ready to assist you in choosing the perfect restaurant, tours to take, stores for shopping, whatever you may need. Their knowledge of the city and the country is amazing----and their smiles and helpful attitudes are what you come to
expect of The Ritz.
We enjoyed our stay at The Ritz; the luxurious and comfortable kingsize bed, the endless choices of pillows, a spotless marble bathroom that included a large bathtub, and separate shower, fine English soaps and toiletries, plush bath robes, huge bath towels that wrap around your body completely, heated towel racks ( YES HEATED TOWEL RACKS), an incredible housekeeping staff, always smiling, professional, in spotless uniforms, there to welcome you--their "guest". I think it is part of the "attitude" of those who work at The Ritz from the General Manager, Anton Kung to all who proudly are part of the "staff", from the Recepcion, the Concierge, the Doormen, the Porters, the Dining Room, Housekeeping,Telephone Operators that they feel The Ritz is their "home", and are proud to work there---and treat the guests as though they are visitors in "their home".
Such pride--it shows in everything they do or say!
Bravo Hotel Ritz, Bravo Mr. Kung and your superb staff, and thank you for spoiling us every day we were in your "home".
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.