“Still Glorious after all these years...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
Los Angeles, California
“Still Glorious after all these years...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

...if you are a SPG member. Treated royally for a Free points night. Gave us a room fronting the plaza. Splurged on breakfast room service, but coffee service and hot chocolate service (with fresh churros) were comped (SPG!) and the lovely poached eggs and bread basket including service and tip was 15 Euros.

Room Tip: front overlooks beautiful plaza, the Ritz Hotel and the entrance to the Prado. Postcard shot!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Hola Tripadvisor
Happy to read that with a hotel of almost 102 years young we are still “glorious” !!
Gracias
Marc L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Napoli
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have stayed at the Palace last weekend and I have to say that it met and exceeded my expectations. A wonderfully located Hotel in the heart of astonishing Madrid. Room was clean and well appointed. Reception staff knowledgeable and polite as well as smiley.
Great the idea of offering complimentary wifi connection in the public areas. The Bar was amazingly appointed and its staff superb!
Great Job and Great Experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Hola Tripadvisor
Thank you for your nice comments. We are always motivated when we exceed expectations
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights here at the end of our vacation in Spain in the first week of January. I decided to splurge for our family of four and thought the Westin would be a special treat. Boy was I wrong. I was trying to decide between the Westin and the Melia and really wished I had chosen the Gran Melia. In all honesty, the only thing we liked about the hotel was the location and proximity to the museums.
I feel like spending this type of money comes with certain expectations and when they aren't met it really does disappoint you. When we arrived we all had to struggle with our luggage to open the two doors to the hotel as the doorman watched us. Even our young daughter made a comment about why nobody would open a door for us. Minor issue I know but the same thing happened multiple times during our stay. The hotel itself is classic but also very tired at best. I also expected decent soaps/shampoos and again a minor point I know but I expected better than the generic stuff we had. The breakfast buffet quality was not very good compared to other breakfast buffets in Spain. Even more of a concern was the pushpin I found in my cereal that I poured out from a Tupperware container. I raised the issue to the management and I was less than pleased with the response I received. Also beware of some of the dinner suggestions by the concierge- one suggestion was good but another was terrible - make sure you look the up on Trip Advisor first.

Stayed January 2014
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Tripdavisor
Thank you for your review. I regret and apologize for not having met your expectations
I have taken good note of all your comments and rest assured that we will work on it and improve
Best regards
KL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is located at Plaza Des Cortes with a very beautiful façade. At night, the exterior walls are being lighted up giving it a grandeur look. Check in took about 10minutes and the receptionist was friendly and speaks English well. Lobby is a flight of stairs above with beautiful restaurants and lounge next to it. The paintings of the ceilings felt historical. Our room was a triple room located on the first floor near the elevator but there was not a single sound from people passing by in front of the room. Bellboy service was prompt and efficient from the moment we get out from our transfer till we enter our room. Security is good. We had to use our room card when using the elevator and also again when entering the wing to our room. The room was small but probably average for size of a European hotel but can accommodate 3 people with extra bed. With our 3 large luggage parked inside the room, there are merely any room left for us to move around freely, but it was manageable. The décor of paintings, vasses and lamps felt cozy and elegant in a homey way. Special personal welcome message on the TV is a nice touch. Mostly are Spanish channels though. They have a fixed price offer of about 28euro for hotels own in house entertainment + room wifi. Beds are really comfortable with 2 pillows and a small bolster for each person, which is a really good treat after our 17hours flight. Had a good sleep despite the jet lag. Bathroom is beautiful and really clean. The WC has its own open compartment. It has a bath and shower that is not separated. Toiletries are a little below average for a 5 star hotel as there were only bathgel, shampoo, lotion plus 2 pieces of their signature leaf soap. I would expect for toothbrush set, shower cap, shaving kit for any standard toiletries. There is a note stating that we can notify the room service for any other necessities that we may need though. However, all bath towels, bathrobes and slippers are good for a set of 3 with their lovely thick and luscious texture. We did not utilize the minibar so can’t comment on that but there was no coffee maker and set in the room which is quite disappointing. Location wise is probably one its biggest strength. We walked to furthest of retiro park, gran via, puerto de sol. 2 prominent museums are next to the hotel. Much to our surprise, the building opposite the hotel had this cute cuckoo clock with statues musical performances when it hits the clock, and the whole building was lighted up like a magical xmas moment. Breakfast exceeded my expectations as it was really marvellous. It included some of my favourite dish smoked salmon, churros with thick chocolate dip (or drink) with background of the beautiful cupula and colorful lounge seating. Overall, initially I would give this a rating a solid 4.5 out of 5, because there are still a few rooms for improvement to make a rather excellent stay for the room but taking into account the breakfast too, I would give this hotel a 5 rating. I would recommend this hotel to a friend because of the location (not a ghetto/downtown but still central), the beautiful overall interior décor and façade, the friendly and prompt service, the acceptable room size, good bathroom for European standard and excellent breakfast buffet. As for my stay… Happy? – Yes. Impressed? – Quite so. Would I stay here again – yes if I don’t mind another splurge.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for having taken the time to inform other Tripadvisors about your stay at the hotel
I am very happy to read that you were happy and would stay again with us
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Well you can feel the history at this hotel, its very grand and sits just across from the Ritz Hotel. The room was very comfortable and well equipped, the bathroom was marble with all the facilities. The hotel itself is well decorated and has some stunning features, including the coloured glass dome roof where breakfast was served. Breakfast offered a very wide choice of hot and cold food, service was a bit slow but it was busy. The bar is small and cosy, but quite expensive. Overall enjoyable comfortable hotel in a good location close to shops and bars.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for your nice comments and looking forward to welcome you again
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Very, very nice place. We booked a month in advance and paid $140EU. We came back a week later for a single night and paid $340EU. It pays to shop via internet.

Expensive, but again, very, very nice placed to stay. Right across from the Del Prado museum, which has free admission after 5:00 on weekends. We went twice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for saying that we are a nice place to stay !
Swieqi, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. It has so much class. I have dreamed of staying here since I was young and it definitely exceeded my expectations. The rooms are spacious and very clean. Apart from the beautiful interior and exterior, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is very good too. It is quite central and in walking distance of main attractions. I rated it 4 stars instead of 5 because we had a problem in the room where water started leaking badly from the soffit. Although this was a drawback, the staff were very apologetic and helped us move to a new room. I thought we might get compensated for the fault but we didn't. Having said that, I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for saying we exceeded your expectations and saying that you will stay again
Pls do not hesitate to contact me at westinpalace.madrid@westin.com to follow-up on the water leak
Best regards
Marc L

Been to The Westin Palace Madrid? Share your experiences!