“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
ohio
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Across the street from the Prado, 15 -20 min walk to royal palace. Lots of wonderful restaurants close by and only 5 min from train station.

I had requested connecting rooms, but did not receive it. Slightly difficult with two children, and could not be moved to connecting rooms...but manageable.

We did not eat breakfast as price was very high....good option directly across the street for breakfast, and much cheaper. Asian restaurant in hotel was fabulous, however.

Rooms are very clean and spacious, especially for European standards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for your review and for mentioning that the rooms are very clean and that our Asian restaurant is
Fabulous. Regarding the connecting rooms I regret we could not manage but pls send me a note to westinpalace.madrid@westin.com so I can understand why
Marc L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tarrytown, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I chose Westin Palace for my first trip to Madrid. It was just my daughter and I and I wanted a safe and yet in the middle of it all location. We were not disappointed this hotel was wonderful.
Clean,safe (very safe) so safe we had to use cards to access our floor and even the elevator.We used their well equiped gym at 12:30 pm and had it all to ourselves and yes we felt safe. Traveling alone for two women in a different country can be scary and the last thing I wanted was to end up in an unsafe location and this hotel was perfect. We were steps away from all the museums and beautiful parks and Tapa places we wanted to visit. We could shop nearby stores and drop off things and head back out .The beds were so comfortable,clean room and the staff were always ready to help with a smile! They made us feel like a queen and a princess. Thank you Westin and all the great staff.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the small court yard and never heard a sound from the busy street around the ho...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay
Safety & Security is very important for us and the fact you noticed is is very rewarding
Looking forward to welcome you again
Herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights on business. This is a very nice hotel. Superbly located with a luxurious feel throughout. Staff very friendly. Rooms are excellent and breakfast under the "dome" is relaxed. Food is generally good, although I didn't think the breakfast selection was as good as it could have been.

One star off for the bar prices - 10 Euro's for a small glass of beer. Scandalous!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you saying the staff is very friendly
I agree the prices are expensive and we will introduce some special promotions
Best regards
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Spent 3 nights in March 2013 (including 1 night on SPG points). Tremendously convenient location (essentially across the street from the Prado Museum; literally across the street from the Thyssen). Easy walking distance to most of the major tourist sites. Can't beat the location.

The rooms were comfortable--luxurious, really. Modern Westin amenities wrapped in a luxurious, historical hotel past. Amazing (but expensive) bar with stained glass ceiling.

Minor nits: you have to pull your luggage up about 8 steps to get to the elevator level; usually there's a bellman around to help, but not always, and it's a little annoying. Bar service is expensive. And for food, you really should leave the hotel and walk around the corner--even the little munchies weren't terribly appetizing. (But I was there strictly as a tourist and it's clearly a primarily business hotel--I suspect they know their audience!)

But you can't beat the location and the rooms--would stay there again in a heartbeat without any hesitation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for saying : "would stay there again in a heartbeat without any hesitation!"
Regarding the stairs I agree it can be inconvenient but the hotel is part of Spains historic buildings and we can´t change it.
Hasta pronto
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Palace for one weekend in Madrid and it probably ranks as one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. The hotel is built in a "grand old hotel" style which I've usually found to mean stuffy and run down at other properties, but here it definitely was positive and added something special to my stay.

The rooms are large with very comfortable beds and very well built. Noise was not an issue even though we were on the second floor facing the hair salon. The room was also impeccably clean. The best feature was by far the marble bathroom which had a separate, closed off toilet area with a bidet. The tub was extra large, perfect for soaking in after a long day of sightseeing and the shower head and shower handle were fantastic. A cool touch was that the large mirror was heated in the middle so after a steamy shower no fog was visible on the glass.

With regard to location, I'm not sure it could get any better as it was within walking distance to major museums (Prado as others have mentioned), excellent shopping at the Barrio Salamanca, tons of restaurants and bars, and several major transit stations.

Nightly rates were also very reasonable relative to other luxury properties in the area during the weekend I stayed so there is excellent value to be had here.

In all, the Westin Palace Madrid sets an exemplary model to be followed in the hospitality industry and I look forward to my next stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have no view except the buildings next door, but are quiet. I would...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tripadvisor
When saying "one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had" I can assure you this inspires us to continue to exceed expectations
Hasta pronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in march. As we had flown overnight and arrived earlier than normal check in time, I had emailed the hotel for an early check in if available. The hotel had emailed me back and said they would accommodate us if they could. We were not disappointed. The desk staff was pleasant and efficient. We are Starwood gold members and used points for the stay. A great value. Our room was lovely and large by European standards. Fresh coffee was delivered to our room each morning. We used the fitness Center which was a little difficult to find, but well equipped. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the staff was friendly and helpful. The location is close to Del Prado, and within walking distance of many sites. Highly recommended and I would stay again if I return to Madrid.

Stayed March 2013
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for saying that the staff was friendly and helpful
As to the signage to the fitness, I agree and we will improve
Hasta la proxima
New Canaan, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Westin Palace Madrid: March 2-5. The location is not to be missed and the hotel, itself, is absolutely gorgeous. The staff, especially Celia, were top notch. We arrived early from the airport but Celia got us a room so we could put our luggage down and get going. The room was on the 3rd floor facing the courtyard. The view was just ok, so if that's important to you, get a room on the outside. The room was very spacious and you could tell it was updated. Plenty of space for luggage, king size heavenly bed, huge bathroom. I've mentioned this in my other reviews: it doesn't seem that they have coffee making in the rooms in Spanish hotels.....I miss that. Room service was perfect though. We didn't have the breakfast, it wasn't included and we don't eat enough breakfast to warrant paying for it. There is a great cafe directly across the street and a Starbucks practically in the building. We had drinks in the atrium and it was great to watch to world go by. The service was very good and the atmosphere great. We had wifi in our room because we're Starwood members. I highly recommend becoming Starwood members because they do provide you with welcome amenities. I recommend buying tickets on the double decker tour bus. We bought 2 day passes and basically used it as our personal taxi service. Everywhere we went was close to a stop and the main stop is across the Plaza from The Palace. Also you must take the bike tour: Bravobike.com with Kaspar. We covered so much of Madrid by bike that we could never have done on foot in one day. Madrid is absolutely gorgeous and The Westin Palace is the perfect place to stay. The museums and parks are right there. The Concierge recommendations for dinner were just right as well....but that's another review!

Room Tip: Interior rooms are fine but if a view is important be sure to book. We had the King superior on the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for qualifying our hotel as “gorgeous”
Hasta la próxima
Marc L

Been to The Westin Palace Madrid? Share your experiences!