“Who Knew?” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Who Knew?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

When planning a trip to Spain to celebrate a special anniversary, we asked a neighbor who travels there frequently for business. He gave us a list of several places, but kept talking about the Best Western Carlos V. We booked it and hoped for the best. Seville was also on the agenda so we booked a Best Western there, too. We'd had a positive experience with a Best Western in London years earlier and kept our fingers crossed.

We liked the Carlos V so much, we booked a couple of final nights there on our return trip from Seville. The location was unbelievably convenient and the rooms were spacious. We'd asked to move from a busy streetside room when we arrived and settled in to a quiet room on the back of the hotel.

The staff was pleasant and the daily breakfasts were superb. Pricing couldn't be beat. We'd definitely stay at Carlos V again and again.

Within walking distance are museums, shops, markets, the metro....ANYTHING.

Room Tip: Avoid the streetside. Ask to see one on the back of the hotel. If you don't like it, ask to see...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear takeyourdog
Let me first of all thank you for sharing your comments with the community. It's great to know you enjoyed your stay ay our hotel, our unbeatable location right in the heart of Madrid and service provided by our staff. I'd also like to thank you your loyalty to our brand, when you choose a Best Western you know you are staying with people who care.
We would love to see you back with us your next time in Madrid.
Kindewst regards,

Santiago Aguilar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Booked as a 3 day package for business and pleasure with BA. Perfect location in the centre of Madrid both for walking to the many nearby key locations and easy access to the Metro at both Opera and Sol for access to a number of metro lines. The area outside is all pedestrianised (taxis are allowed for pick up etc) with all major shops, Il Corte Ingles etc, on the doorstep as well as numerous bars, restaurants all with a lively atmosphere. Hotel itself very clean and comfortable, My brother and I both had rooms overlooking a small central courtyard (no access) which meant the rooms were very quiet but got a little stuffy early evening after a hot day. A quick blast on the Air Con soon sorted that out. My room, with a double bed, was small but my brother's with twin beds was much larger. Also a pleasant lounge and bar on the first floor which also was used for breakfast. The staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout our stay and nothing was too much trouble for them. I look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel have a tiny terrace (standing room only) overlooking the street...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Wanderereast
Let me start by thanking you for sharing your comments with the community. It'great to know you and your brother enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that our staff were able to make you feel comfortable.
We will be glad to see you back your next time in Madrid, please do not hesitate to tell us your room preference on your reservation, you might like to stay facing the Street and/or in a room with two twin beds.

Near London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location. It has easy access to the Metro, restaurants and shops and is within easy walking distance of all the major sites. True there can be a little noise from the street at night ( why do people book hotels in city centres and then act surprised that a capital city doesn't shut at 9pm) but one can always close the window to escape it. The hotel is clean and comfortable with welcoming and helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2014
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear cjrebskjc
Let me start by thanmking you for sharing your comments with the community. We love to know you enjoyed your stay with us at our unbeatable location right in the heart fo Madrid... yes, a bit noisy at night but, as you say, after all this is the city centre! Let me just add we do have romos located at nhte rear of the building, much quieter tan those facing the street.
It will be great to have you back at our hotel your next time in Madrid.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Hotel was part of a BA package booked at the last minute for the weekend of the Madrid Open. I've been to Madrid before but not for a while now and the last time I was there, I also stayed near the Gran Via, but as usual, getting your bearings straight, especially with how much the Callao area has changed, it was a bit disorienting at first. But a quick lap around a few blocks and things start to look familiar. Anyway, back to the hotel. Location is unbeatable -- it's right at the Plaza Callao near the cinema and the Metro stop is right there -- the Gran Via is two blocks over, so it's a good central base. The hotel is small and sandwiched between old buildings. Things can get loud early in the morning as the room I had stayed in was overlooking one of the busier streets, but the windows are pretty good at filtering the noise. It's a typical European hotel room, size-wise, but it had the basics -- there was an honor/minibar, a TV that unfortunately has very few channels to choose from unless you speak Spanish very well -- so it was CNN the whole time. Doesn't matter as the wireless internet in the room worked really well so what you can't catch on TV you can watch from your laptop. This may be contrary to most people, but I actually liked the fact that the bed/mattress was quite firm -- I'd take a firm plane over a saggy mattress any day. The breakfast (which I unfortunately only caught one morning of my 3 days there -- I kept missing it as the nights had been late -- but is actually served from 07.30 until 11.00 -- was quite good. I skipped the usual cold cut offerings and went straight to the hot station and I was so psyched they had served Spanish chorizos. Only complaint (a mild one at that) I had was that an in-room safe is available but you actually have to rent a lock by the day. I thought that was odd -- not that it mattered since it was rather small and what I would've put in there I just took with me in my trusty (and supposedly theft-deterring) satchel. All in all, if you've read my previous reviews, you'll know that I'm such a low-maintenance traveler -- so long as the rooms are clean, there's strong Wi-Fi signal, good water pressure, better than average breakfast offerings, I'm fine. I had compared the hotel prior to booking with a nearby, more modern hotel that advertised supposedly better amenities, but as usual I opted for the nondescript one (price difference was negligible) -- I'd rather stay in a small, quiet non-ostentatious lodgings than be surrounded by poseurs and loud young'uns. Final thought -- the guys at the reception (it was actually kind of odd that all the hotel staff (save the housekeepers) seemed to be all men -- which was great for me as I've found male hotel staff to be more approachable and more understanding and accommodating -- women receptionists and front desk staff, kind of like bidets in the bathroom next to the toilet creep me out a bit -- I try to avoid both if I can -- but that's a personal bias).

So in summary, experience with this modest hotel was nothing but positive and next time I find myself needing to go and escape to Madrid again, I won't hesitate to stay there again. But as usual, my caveat -- high maintenance, those travelers feeling entitled for some reason, need not read further...this isn't the place for you.

Plusses: location, location, location; absolutely amazing staff; terrific breakfast; strong Wi-Fi connection, value for offerings.

Minuses: I'd like to complain about something, anything...but I can't, so let's just leave it at that. Again, hotel snobs, better look elsewhere.

Room Tip: per usual, same tips -- high floor, away from lifts...you should be good.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear iceblue13
Let em first of all thenk you for sharing your comments with the community. It' great to know you enjoyed your stay with us at our, as you say, unbeatable location right in the heart of Madrid. We do appreciate such an extensive description of what you felt about us, we will take very much in consideration your contribution inorder to try to improve our service and facilities.
We'll ve really glad to have you back at our hotel your next time in Madrid, I just hope it doesn't take you tool long.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location near the Puerto del Sol and the metro is less than a couple of minutes away, although many key Madrid locations are within walking distance. The area can be noisy but I didn't find this a problem - the atmosphere is vibrant and good-natured. My room was at the back of the hotel, which was quieter anyway, and it was perfectly clean. There is a lift and a comfortable lounge, but most importantly (especially from my point of view as a solo traveller) the staff were all very friendly and helpful. I stayed at this hotel for four nights and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Jan Y
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with the community, we love to know you enjoyed your stay with us. I'd also like to thank you for your kind recommendation to other travellers.
I'm specially proud to hear your comments about our staff; it is our main goal to try to make our guests feel like at home and I can see we succeeded in your case.
It would be great to have you back home at our property your next time in Madrid.

General Manager.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Located in a perfect spot to walk to all the important plazas and sights in Madrid. The staff was very nice and helpful, especially when we had to park our car on a pedestrian sidewalk to unload our luggage and check in. We had to get approval from the police there but they were very accommodating. Our room and bathroom were very small but adequate and clean. We overlooked the busy street and were there on a Saturday. The city doesn't sleep so if you want a quiet night ask for a room off the street. Good shuttle service to the airport from here.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a room off the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Denny F
Let me start by thanking you for sharing your comments with the community. It's nice to know you enjoyed your stay with us at our unbeatable location right in the heart of downtown Madrid.
Yes, our area is quite busy and therefore a bit noisy, it's a good advice to ask for a room at the back for those who are light sleepers! Make your choice if you return tpo our hotel, that wolb be super.
Let me just add passengers are allowed to reach our door to load/unload luggage, you shouldn't need any special permission from the pólice.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The staff at Hotel Carlos was excellent. We arrived via a rental car and they had us drive up to the hotel in a no drive zone after clearing this with the local police. We only stayed one night, but enjoyed the location which was close to the sights and the activity. We used public transportation from the airport after returning the rental car and used their shuttle bus service to get to the airport.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear 256anthonys
Let me first of all thank you for sharing with the community your comments about our property. It's great to know you enjoyed your stay with us.
Yes, as you say we are located in a pedestrian area, but as you could test guests are allowed to reach our door by car or taxi to upload/download luggage. Arrival by public transportation from the airport is easy too and as you say we offer a shuttle service to and from it almost 24/7.
We would be glad to have you back back at our hotel in case you return to Madrid; we hope that time you stay with us a bit longer tan just one night.

Santiago Aguilar

Been to BEST WESTERN Carlos V? Share your experiences!