“Excellent, nearly perfect.....great value for money!!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Villa Real to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Real
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza de las Cortes 10, 28014 Madrid, Spain (Huertas)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #38 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Barcelona, Belfast
“Excellent, nearly perfect.....great value for money!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Following my last stay in the Banke hotel in Paris from the same group (Derby's hotel group) I was a bit concern about what to expect. The pictures on the website or magazine for this hotel were not great honestly...the pictures don't do any justice to this excellent.
The fist impression is quite good, with the perfect city centre location, in a very quiet and secure "way too secure with dozens of bodyguards and bullet proofs car arounds" due to the actual location in madrid no need to explain who is next door.

The main entrance is a bit dull, the front desk staff efficient (although you might expect more from a 5*) and polite.
The Bar is good but again nothing special, the decoration is to my taste below average on the main floor, as for the fist floor (mezzanine) I would point out that there is only a handful of individuals tables (and too many large tables for groups of 8 or 12).
The drink selection is good and the prices are very correct.
The lifts are all ready old looking and not what you would expect for an hotel of such standard.
As a member of the "small luxury hotel of the world" I had the free upgrade, with a room on the 5th floor (mezzanine with terrace). Honestly this is probably the BEST VALUE FOR MONEY IN MADRID, with lot's of space, proper furniture and a nice decoration of "antique" mosaic. Fresh flowers (roses), a welcome card and a bootle of Rioja, not to mention a free glass of champagne of the bar....this was a real treat!!!
" toilets, a large sofa, 2 flatscreen TV's and a decent bed....a large bathroom with a massive (but very inefficient) Jacuzzi, double sinks and a good wardrobe.
The food selection at the bar is just average, although I would recommend you to check next door to the newly opened restaurant "la alpargateria" next to the church of scientology at the back of the hotel.
So the bad points first:

- 1) Very noisy and poorly sound insulated room (at least for the top floor mezzanine).
- 2) Small selection of food at the bar or restaurant, (no caesar salads....)
- 3) Again, the lighting is an issue, there is no "reading" light near the sofa.
- 4) The Jacuzzi maintenance is a serious issue, the actual pipes were disgusting (this is not so much a cleaning issue but more a maintenance issue!!!) this is not serious.
- 5) NO FREE INTERNET!!!! No comment!
- 6) Again the bathroom amenities aren't great (fair enough this is Derby's hotel choice but hey, I do not need to have half a liter of shampoos and body lotion, a small selection of exclusive soaps and perfumes would do just fine!).
- 7) The TV channel selection is simply pathetic, with poor signals and only a handful of international choice.
- 8) No iron board (Derby's policy?) in the room.

As for the good points:

+ 1) Excellent value for money overall.
+ 2) Very efficient front desk staff (but hey, not perfect yet....)
+ 3) Very nice Breakfast selection (I would like to point out that although this is a Spanish Breakfast selection it is actually well presented and fresh...way better than the Banke Hotel in Paris).
+ 4) The view from the terrace and the overall size of the room!
+ 5) Perfect location!
+ 6) A large and good selection of morning newspaper.
+ 7) Nice decoration throughout the hotel
+ 8) An efficient porter service.

To resume, this is an excellent hotel, but the rooms are not well insulated from the noise (not the outside noise but the room next door...), the breakfast very good, you do fell very welcome, the staff is friendly and efficient.

I would recommend this hotel, especially if you do get the upgrade.

Room Tip: Become part of the Small luxury hotel of the worl.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Dear Sir.

Felix García Hernán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We received a warm welcome when we checked in and the compliementary bottle of sparkly in the bar kicked off the weekend well. Not sure if everyone gets one or it was just us. Our rooms had a great view and everything was of a high standard. Being on split level gave a feeling of greater space and lived up to the pictures on the website. Handy to have towelling bathrobes and slippers. We were very close to good tapas bars and we were able to walk everywhere. It was only on the way home in the cab we recently how close we were to the Prado. Beware we were ripped off on the cab ride in from the airport despite using one of the white cabs in the line up. The hotel called a cab for us on the way back and we were charged half the price (25 euros)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear Sirs.

Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

My brother's family and I stayed there for three nights in two two-level rooms (bedroom on top/sofa-bed living area at the bottom) and had a wonderful stay. Everyone was extremely helpful and the rooms were top-class as is to be expected for a hotel of this quality. The Prado museum and many other sights are within walking distance. But sounds carried very easily from the neighboring room. One other problem was that steps between the levels are made of marble and quite slippery; my niece had a tumble on them and led to some anxious moments for us. I hope the hotel puts in some non-slip strips to prevent such accidents.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sir.

Cape Elizabeth, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

The Villa Real has a super location. Walking distance to all the major sites and not far from Atocha train station and other transportation, and many restaurants. Our room was a split level double, a downstairs living room and upstairs bedroom that included a jacuzzi tub and a balcony with a table for two. We slept with the door open to the balcony and had a wonderful breeze all night long.Very little noise came from the outdoors, though we could hear noise through the walls of neighboring rooms. We ate breakfast twice at the hotel and the buffet and service were excellent. Service was also excellent at the front desk, though they could use a separate concierge desk because the front desk was busy with people checking in and out and asking questions. We had a great stay here and would come back to this same hotel again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Madam.

San Miguel de Abona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed here with my aunt, for a concert in the city. When we arrived by Car, the doorman was very friendly and helpful and the valet took my car and parked it ( at an additional Charge) we then checked in all of which was very speedily done.we were shown to our room, which was a little dated and scruffy hence the lacking in 5* quality.not very clean in the lower floor wc either!!! the room was split level, which was different but all areas are small the furnishings and pictures/mosaics are cute and the bedroom had a small balcony shame about the view an apartment block with washing hanging out of the windows.

Night time was very noisey and you can hear the plumbing in adjacent rooms.
Whilst our stay was comfortable and the staff generally nice and friendly, this hotel certainly is not a 5 star property. The rooms are small and in severe need of updating the beds are comfortable, and the complimentary wine and rose on arrival a nice touch, it was however certainly not worth the money we paid would I go back - only if they had a complete refit of all rooms and bathrooms.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Villa Real, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Villa Real. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Villa Real hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Felix garcia
Caunes-Minervois, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Equidistant from the Museum Triangle and the Puerto del Sol, the Villa Real is in a prime location, around 7 minutes walk from both.
Staff were impeccable, absolutely first rate.
Room was spacious and the duplex style was great. We had a rubbish view though. They need to sort out the TV reception and choice of channels which was poor for a hotel of this quality.
Breakfast room was great, and breakfast itself was fantastic. East 47 restaurant was good, not a massive choice, but the quality was very good. Nice wine list too.
The bar was lively, well stocked but expensive.
Didn't like the mattress and the 'ding' of the lift was irritating. But it wouldn't stop me staying there again.
Nice choice LSHW member

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Madam.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Hotel Villa Real and look forward to staying there again. I have stayed several times before and never been disappointed. The rooms are large, comfortable and quiet. Dinner in the restaurant (upstairs from the bar) was excellent.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Sirs.

Felix García Hernán

Been to Hotel Villa Real? Share your experiences!