“Priceline's 5 star in Old/Bourbon Madrid for U.S. $130/night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Collection Palacio de Tepa

You added NH Collection Palacio de Tepa to your Saves list
NH Collection Palacio de Tepa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Sebastian, 2 | Barrio de Las Letras, 28012 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #16 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
Toledo, OH
“Priceline's 5 star in Old/Bourbon Madrid for U.S. $130/night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I don't think I'd pay more, as our room was small. We were traveling with our son and had to get two rooms, as the hotel does not have any rollaway beds. A rollaway wouldn't fit, anyway. The doors are very loud when closing. We walked from the Atocha train station. It was about 10 blocks, but all uphill on Calle de Atocha. The streets were not well marked, so watch for a small NH sign on a building on Calle de Atocha. The entrance is around the corner. You must ring the doorbell to enter, as they keep the doors locked. The room was clean and well decorated. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

As everyone said in previous reviews, the location can't be beat. We had a very large room with a staircase that went to a sleeping loft. The king size bed in the loft was extremely comfortable. The stairs are a little steep, so anyone who has concerns about stairs should be careful. My two kids stayed on the pull out couch downstairs. This was not a particularly good mattress, it was pretty standard for a pull out couch. We were hoping for a cot so my kids wouldn't need to share a bed, but the hotel doesn't have them. The bathroom was huge, with two showers and two sinks. Our room was on the second floor facing the square, which was fun for people watching. It wasn't too noisy, but you could hear music until around midnight. The city really gets going at night and it's fun to watch. The rooms were very clean and the staff were great. There is a room behind the check-in desk that has a glass ceiling looking over archeological remains. My kids enjoyed this. We were travelling for two weeks and this was the best hotel we staying in.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

As recent visitors to your hotel, we would like to pass on out thanks and appreciation to your staff. The hotel is beautiful and extremely well located near Saint Anna Plaza. When we arrived, having successfully negotiated driving into the centre of Madrid, it was a great relief to be able to rely on the staff to take good care of both us and our car. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any discerning guests.

• Stayed June 2011
Ness Ziona, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Wonderfull hotel in the heart of Madrid. Clean,& very large room wilth all amneties.
Super service at front desk. Lazy service during breakfast.
Rich and tasty breakfast.
Value for money. Highly recommended !!!

hoboken
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

My wife and I visited Madrid in May and our trip started off rocky. Our airline lost our baggage and we were exhausted after our flight from California. But once we got to the hotel, everything changed immediately. The staff was wonderful; they indulged in my poor Spanish and spoke perfect English when I started to flounder. They even gave us a room at the top floor, which had beautiful wood beams/ceilings. We settled in and again, the staff introduced us to their favorite local tapas place, and was informative in giving us some strategies for walking tours.

One staff member, Marcos Aguardo, was particularly helpful. I don't want to disparage anyone since everyone was so sweet, but he was the only one whose name I could remember. He helped us to call the airport to find our luggage, and generously waited to pick it up for us when the airport delivered it to our hotel so we wouldn't have to wait around all day. When we got back from lunch, we were pleasantly surprised to find our luggage in our room. Marcos also explained how to buy bull fighting tickets so that we wouldn't get ripped off (remember when buying tickets to ask for TOROS, which are the adult bulls, and not NOVILLOS, which are the young bulls that the rookies fight).

Note: We wanted to see it from the cultural perspective, we do not condone killing animals for sport, but did not wish to judge a cultural phenomenon centuries old. We would NOT see it again. The fight is not fair! The bull gets poked for a good 30 min before he even faces the real matador!

Some honorable mentions are the spectacular spread they have for breakfast. Make sure you negotiate a deal where breakfast is included. Also WIFI is standard in every room, and the location is perfect, right in the heart of Madrid close to the metros and shopping. Each room also has a Nespresso coffee maker, which makes the perfect cup of coffee!

Room Tip: Get the room with the wooden beams and ceilings.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

What a wonderful place. Location, staff, hotel, breakfast, bed, quality overall was amazing. I cannot fault this hotel. It is my first stay in Madrid and went to celebrate my boyfriend’s birthday. I had previously booked into the H10 Villa de Reina, until I read a review to say that it’s currently having outside maintenance and is covered in scaffolding and sheeting. I quickly cancelled and rebooked into the Palacio de Tepa.

The staff were attentive, helpful and spoke excellent English. I asked for a spacious room overlooking the square with a balcony and that is exactly what I got. If you do go to this hotel, try room 406, it is a perfect location (a 5 minute walk from Sol) and has triple aspect with balconies, all very modern and still felt classically Spanish at the same time. As for the bed, well it was huge and very comfortable.

The breakfast was plentiful and special. A huge range of fruits, pastries, sliced meats/cheeses, sandwiches, cereals, toasts etc and you could also order a hot breakfast like omelette or I had the Spanish omelette which was fabulous! Also there is cava on ice so I made buck fizz with my breakfast too!

The only down side is that we didn't stay long enough!

All in all a wonderful experience and came back thoroughly relaxed.

Big thanks to the Palacio de Tepa, we hope to see you again!

Room Tip: 406, great view over the square
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I think this will be one of the best hotels in Madrid soon. I say "will be" because the hotel was opened last October, and you still smell the new paint in the room. I think it will be gone by the end of the summer. I don't know why odourless water based paints do not become the industry standard, also for wood; they are as durable. This is especially important in hotels, because they tend to keep the windows of all unused rooms tightly closed for hygiene reasons. Anyway, this is not a problem specific to this hotel, but common to all new hotels, sometimes even to older ones with bad material (paint, varnish, or carpet) selection.

Staying in the room, it was also not an option to leave the windows open for ventilation at night, because it is quite noisy outside. There are a few rooms at the interior courtyard or under the roof, but balcony to one of the most joyful squares in Madrid is what contributes to the charm of staying here, so I would recommend a room with a balcony, in spite of all.

The location is just marvelous! Most museums are within minutes; many good restaurants, tapas bars are in the surrounding. One of the best live music clubs next door, the other just next block straight ahead.

The superior room at the corner was comfortably spacious, the standard rooms also reasonably wide; all with a simple but beautiful elegance. We had no major complaints about cleanliness, but I must say the cleaning lady was far too hasty as if pressed for time; this is especially a handicap as the dark wood floors show every particle of dust. The rest of the staff was very professional as experienced in most NH hotels.

The breakfast was excellent, not giving a feeling of abundance, but of quality and good choice.

When we return to Madrid, I don’t think we would bother to look for another hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Collection Palacio de Tepa? Share your experiences!