“Go Cars” 2 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Connecticut
“Go Cars”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The people were very nice and the "car" was ready as advertised. The controls were motorcycle type - meaning the throttle was on the right hand grip and the brakes were hand levers. You sat on the floor with your legs straight out. If you were not comfortable with driving a motorcycle or motorbike ( as we were not ) this is not for you. It is also very loud and emits a considerable amount of exhaust. The centrifugal clutch was either in or out, making it difficult to go slow. We brought it back after a few minutes and they did not charge us. It would have been a lot of fun if we could have driven it. In city traffic is not the place to learn hand controls.

Visited July 2013

Sheffield
4 attraction reviews
“Really good fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was a great experience. It was such fun and even though you occasionally felt a little vulnerable in the car it was all part of the fun. The car sticks out as its yellow and I believe that the spanish drivers in the centre of town are used to seeing the cars on the road. We look back on our time in the Go Car as a highlight of our holiday. It was a bit on the expensive side but well worth the money. We got to see lots of the city. The staff were very helpful and worried about us when we got lost. The passenger needs to be willing to get out of the car to help.

Visited June 2012
London
“Very fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Me and my girlfriend did the GoCars Tour on Valentine’s day and had no idea what to expect. We got there on time (easy to find), signed the papers got handed the helmets after a quick overview of the car and we were away! At first we were struggling as the car is fairly loud and the satnav woman was fairly quiet (we found out half an hour later you can turn her up VERY loud). Once we got into the flow of It though it was great fun and we saw a lot of the city. We stopped where was recommended to get out, have a walk around and grab some lunch and the square (forget the name now) was beautiful and the food was top notch.

I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to see lots of the city in a day but I would be wary of jumping in the driving seat if you have no experience driving on the other (wrong) side of the road 
I also, ride motorbikes and seeing as it was a converted moped I found the controls natural whereas someone who’s never been on a road bike might not.

Overall it was a very fun way to spend the day and would do it again as there are 3 tours they offer or you can go your own way for the day.

Great day out.

Visited February 2013
Los Angeles, California
31 attraction reviews
“Daily Double: FUN & Informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I did this in San Francisco years ago and had a blast. I jumped at the chance to do it in Madrid. They are located near the Plaza Espana, answer their phones (you'd be surprised at how many tourist attractions don't answer phones and e-mails), speak English, and are quite courteous.

35 Euros for the 1st hour which they say will cover your Old City tour. An additional 25 Euros will cover your 2nd hour which will cover your "Cosmopolitan tour" though they are not mutually exclusive and you can do either one or both. When you put in side tours or even if you want to stop for a photo op or even to eat, don't forget that you're on the clock. 20 Euros for the 3rd hour or 99 Euros for the day. We actually rented 2 cars. My wife drove one with my 16 yo daughter as a passenger (you have to be 21 to drive) and I rode the other with my 13 yo son in tow. We arrived a bit after the 3rd hour but they did not charge us past the 3rd hour ;-)

I think their YouTube videos and their web site describe the experience best so I'll refrain from that but suffice it to say that its a blast, the GPS keeps you on track, and usually its easy to get back on track with a few minutes with the provided route map if you make a wrong turn (as we did a few times, mostly in the beginning). Though the cars are small, they are having you go mostly on smaller streets and even when you are on the grand major streets (never on the highways) the other cars, even taxis and motorcycles, respect you, I believe owing to their peaked interest in the novelty vehicle you're driving.

So much fun should be illegal but its not. Speaking of illegal, it is true what one reviewer wrote that you officially need an International drivers license (available from AAA if you are from the USA), or be from an EU country (I think that the UK was fine even though their license is not in Spanish) or be from a host of other countries (GoCar Tours has the list but I'm sure that it is also available with some searching on Google on who can drive a car in Spain) but the USA was not one of them. So if you don't have a license you can take a chance as we did, but that was explicitly explained by the staff and we had to sign off that we were aware of this. Another sign off has to do with insurance. You are covered by them for any damage you may cause to someone else or something else, but are not covered by damage you do to your vehicle. They have a list of costs that can easily run you up into the thousands of dollars. For an extra 10 Euros you can get a collision rider that covers you 100% after the 1st 300 Euros of damage that you pay for. We opted for that. That being said, one of the cars we took had been in an accident a few months earlier and had yet to be repaired. The issues were cosmetic and similar to renting a car, the company goes around the car with you and notes any issues.

In closing I'd say that our kids had the most FUN and most knowledge from this "3-hour tour!" A MUST for your Madrid to-do-list!

Visited July 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
“Must have international drivers license!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

After spotting a go car in front of the palace, my sister and i set out on a hunt to find these cool little cars. We were excited they were only 35€ so we were all in! After getting lost and only actually completely about half of the tour (the gps told us we were completely off the tour and to call the number twice but we found our way), we had a great time. Until we made a uturn (there were no signs saying it was not legal!! And it was the only way to get back going the right direction to the garage!) and were pulled over by the police. They wanted to give us a 500€ ticket bc we didn't have an international drivers liscense. We had no clue what they were talking about and the lady at the desk quickly showed us the paper we signed saying (amongst lots of other writing mixed in) that our us drivers license had to be "translated into a Spanish license" really what does that mean! It means you need an international license but they word it funny so that you dont say I don't have that and walk off without renting one. She very quickly threw us under the bus to the police officer saying you signed here it's your responsibility. When I told her she should have asked us when she copied our US drivers license if we had one, she said I dont need to know if you have one. You signed here saying you did. She knew if she mentioned it to us when probably wouldn't have gone and she would have lost money. Maybe we would've chanced it anyway who knows but just be forewarned it is a VERY expensive fine if you for some reason get pulled over. And u turns are not legal even if not marked!!