“Good Value but Skip this Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Axor Feria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Campezo 4, 28022 Madrid, Spain (Airport / Barajas)   |
Ranked #117 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
St. Thomas
“Good Value but Skip this Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We decided to book Axor Feria because it was close to the airport and we needed to catch a flight in the morning. It seems like a new hotel and was clean and well maintained. The free shuttle from the airport was convenient and efficient and the wifi worked perfectly. If you need a convenient, cheap hotel, but not much sleep, then this hotel is for you. However, if sleep is important, then skip this hotel because you won't get any. The bed and pillows were uncomfortable with no cushion, there was no blanket and the air conditioner was too noisy to sleep. You need to ask for amenities at the front desk, which meant that you had to leave your room to go back downstairs. The mall close to the hotel is useless because we could not find anything decent to eat, only fast food like McDonald's. I would have preferred to spend more money at another hotel because I would have gotten some sleep. I spent the entire night listening to the air conditioner and wondering why I chose this hotel because it was so noisy. I did not get a minute of sleep and was relieved when I received a wake up call. If sleep is important to you then do yourself a favor and skip Axor Feria. I wish I had.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
bijeljina, bosnia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I thought that was a great idea to have hotel near the airport at my arrival so I would rush to downtown Madrid next morning and continue the planned trip to Andalucia. However, this turned out as bad choice. Hotel is OK, brand new, clean and up to advertised amenities. Still it is a sterile place inside. You will find nothing around the hotel, but a small bar some 200 meters to the right.
The staff is very helpful and wifi works really fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We chose this hotel because of its price and proximity to the airport-- it was a nice place to stay the night before an early AM international flight. Front desk service was quick and polite, and very helpful when we called down from the room with questions about how to get to/from the city center. There is also a laptop/printer combo right next to the front desk for printing out boarding passes, and the restaurant (which is actually located right next door in the Axor Barajas) was delicious and reasonably priced.

Now on to the not-so-great parts. For one, the view from our window (and apparently one entire side of the hotel) was of a pretty nasty-looking parking lot/storage facility, although there were blackout curtains provided. Also, our bathroom door didn't have any kind of latching mechanism-- again not a huge problem, but kind of odd and weird to get used to.

The real problem I had was with the advertised airport shuttle service. It's a great perk to the property, if you can get it. We waited at the airport bus stop for an hour without seeing a trace of the axor shuttle, despite several calls to the hotel and it being during the hours when the shuttle service supposedly runs every half hour. We eventually gave up and took a cab. For the ride back to the airport, I had spoken with the front desk and let them know what time I would need the shuttle in the morning. When I arrived at the pickup location (10 minutes early, as instructed) there was complete confusion as to which of the two shuttles was going to which terminal. My bags were loaded onto the first shuttle, unloaded and put on the second shuttle, then unloaded again and put back on the first shuttle. After all this, when I boarded the van I discovered all the seats were taken, and I would have to wait for the 7am shuttle despite having made my reservation almost 24hours in advance. I was not the only one in this situation-- at least 8 people were left standing around in the parking lot for half an hour with all of their luggage.

All things considered, I actually did have quite a nice stay at the Axor Feria. It's a nice-looking, well-maintained property in a convenient location, and with the exception the 'provided' airport shuttle I had zero major complaints.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night in Axor Feria following a late night arrival to Barajas airport. As we had picked up our rental car right after the arrival and were heading to Galicia the next morning, we decided to stay for the night near the airport.

The location of Axor Feria is pretty good, five minutes by car from the airport and some 10 minute walk from a big shopping center.

The room was very clean and spacious enough, and the breakfast buffet was great with a good variety of choices.

Basically I have nothing bad to say about this hotel and can highly recommend it to anyone needing to stay overnight near the airport.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were placed at the Axor Feria when bumped from a flight out of Madrid Barajas airport. We were transported by their own shuttle which makes the free trip to Barajas every 30 minutes. The ride itself took about 15 minutes.

We arrived first at another Axor hotel that is literally next door. Why they operate independently is beyond me; apart from the two reception desks, they seem to function as one hotel, sharing their few facilities and the shuttle. The appearance of both properties is very sleek and modern with lots of white and red. Twenty years ago it may have looked futuristic and he place actually reminded me of the film "A Clockwork Orange". Our room was similarly stark, but large, clean and bright. The bed was fine and the entire place was almost eerily quiet for being so close to a major airport.

The airline paid for our meals, so we ate at the hotel. The restaurant was only open for specific, brief windows of time for each meal, so we had to build our day around that schedule. Oddly, lunch and dinner were served next door, but we had to eat breakfast downstairs at the Feria. Although the menu was limited (you may have hamburger or fish), the food was well prepared and the staff attentive. The limited choices may have been the choice of the airline, but I sort of felt like I was at some Spanish stranger's wedding reception.

There is NOTHING to do in this neighborhood. The hotel is set in an industrial park near the airport. There is a mall about three blocks away which we visited for diversion, but it is just like every other suburban mall in the world, complete with a Starbucks. There is no public transportation nearby, but one of our clever "bump mates" took the free shuttle back to the airport where she caught the Metro and spent the day in Madrid for just a few euro. A taxi would have cost 25€-30€ each way.

This place would be fine choice for a restful night before flying, but beyond that, something of a futuristic wasteland.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ok, things are different in Europe. Of the 2 buildings on these grounds stay in the Barajas. If you don't simple amenities like eating and getting ice require you to trek from one building to the next, get this, the front desk person didn't know if the would give me a bucket or glass ( my stay here has taught me to leave nothing for granted) so the specter of mystery and anxiety accompanied me to the "other side". It seems of the 2 hotels I stayed in here in Madrid, there is a shortage of hand towels, soap and toilet paper. I guess I'm just too regular and hygienic....lol. The Wi-Fi did not work and had to trek to the front desk to get some antiquated ethernet cables. Oh, and you need a hearing aid to hear the T.V. as they have regulated them to inhibit the occasional high volume freak. The restaurant is a little pricey and the food is ok and bland.Make a right out of the hotel walk on the right hand side of the sidewalk to the traffic light and make another right and walk to the dead end which is where the mall is with a variety of shops and eateries.
The property is a stones throw from the airport. The shuttle is nice and clean (Mercedes Benz super van!). The property is nice and clean. I love the smell of these Euro hotels!
The rooms are functional with a huge shower. Pleasantly appointed interior and hallway areas add to a feeling of calm. Good value for a nights stay and catching that flight in the morning.

Room Tip: 5th floor is the top of the property and has a relaxing area and the floor was quiet when I was ther...
Montana Rose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Sadly, Madrid's metro doesn't start before 6am, so if you have an early morning flight you have to take a taxi OR stay at a hotel close to the airport the night before. For a little more than a taxi, we stayed here because they provided free shuttle service (starts at 5am) and it was MUCH less than the Hilton. I think nearly everyone that stays here has early flights.

It reminded me of a very modern Holiday Inn Express. It's new, clean, and the staff was very friendly and efficient. They set up our wake-up call and our shuttle for the morning as soon as we checked in. There was a free fruit plate in the room. The room is plain but the bathroom was really nice and the shower great. It was also quiet at night. The only thing I didn't like that much was the bed - it was a bit too firm (and I normally like firm). It didn't really interfere with my sleep though.

Also, if you get a pickup at the airport, expect about a 20-25 minute wait (since they have to stop at all the terminals) - this is probably true for most of the hotel shuttles though.

In any event, I'd stay here again or try their sister hotel next door. Great value for the money. 3.5 stars

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Axor Feria Hotel? Share your experiences!