“Good Location, Services, Tiny Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Bucharest, Romania
“Good Location, Services, Tiny Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

PROS:
1. Good Location on Paseo del Prado Boulevard between Atocha and Plaza de Cibelles:
---- walking distance from POIs such as: Prado Museum (across the street - catch the free hours after 18:00) and Botanical Garden (across the street - entrance fee) and Thyssen Bornemisza Museum (5 min walk towards Plaza de Cibelles on the same side of the blvd.)
---- close to Retiro Park; Sol (800 m); Plaza Mayor (800m); Royal Palace (max. distance 1,4 km by foot); shopping areas around Calle Mayor, Sol and some of the Corte Ingles shops; plenty of Pubs, Restaurant and Tapas Bars arround;

2. Arrival by taxi: 35-40 Euro/trip (March 2012); Arrival by Subway: From the Airport take Subway 8 direction Nuevos Ministerios and then take bus 27 which will drop you 2 min walk from the Hotel (Calle Moratin intersection with Passeo del Prado); fromthe Subway point of view not the perfect spot to stay but walking distance from close stations;
(use http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187514-s1/Madrid:Spain:Inside.html)

3. Rooms: we stay in room 301 - double room with courtyard view; courtyard view means in fact the tiny internal illumination above the reception bar which had the windows closed; our room was curiously shaped small but offered all amenities we've need (iron + board, espresso & tea machine; fridge with goodies, flat TV, safe, free-WiFi and cable internet); cleaning was performed on daily basis around 11:00 am; quite rooms without street noise (my colleagues which choose the street rooms complaint about extremely small place [single rooms] and street noise (all windows had the sealed non-transparent sealant so you can't see neither from the outside or from the inside); comfortable matrimonial bed whit clean linings and two set of pillows for each occupant;

4. Food: We had only open buffet breakfast which was consistent although not very diverse but tasty. Ham & Eggs on demand but tasty as well. So again everything you've need is there including sweets and natural juices (careful at 10:30 am buffet is closed).

5. Staff: Young & very Friendly with good command of English; very helpful especially with my internet connection;

6. Amenities: Spa, Pool & Gim - although we've did not tried them there where looking good (basement) so if you're not to tired and you're feet are not to swallow give them relaxing chance;

CONS:
- poor illumination - you never know how outside is until you either come in the restaurant or walk our of the hotel; so a good place to have a nap if you're tired after scouting Madrid :-)
- small rooms - I do recommend to choose double rooms instead of single rooms;
- our bathroom radiator was not working so we need to start warm water in shower a bit earlier to warm up the bathroom (shower only but clean);

Try out beside Spanish food and specifically Jamon & Sea Food:
- for quick bytes the "La Taperia" right to the right you've exit the hotel; good tapas and menus as well as good wines; "La Pizzateca" Calle de León, 26, 28014 Madrid (do not ask for ketchup cause the owner will smack you :-))
- Ristorante La Piperna, Relatores, 20, Madrid, Spain (see here on Trip) - fantastic dishes and fine Italian wines;

DO NOT Miss Flamenco:
- CORALL DE LA MORERIA (see here on Trip) - book in advance tickets to one of their night shows and enjoy their fine Spanish meals and drinks;

Ole!

Room Tip: Choose double rooms with matrimonial beds (e.g. 301)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

The day I landed in Madrid I was robbed the moment I stepped off the airport - wich meant I had no passport - hence no proof of identity, no booking.com print out - hence no proof of booking, no credit card or money - thus no way of paying them & I do not speak Spanish. Under such circumstances radisson was a blessing in disguise - they were extremely accommodative, to me & my family & friends trying to help me out from India. They checked me in basis the identity sent by email, they allowed me unlimited use of phone, upgraded me & were very kind - considering I was extremely distraught. They helped me with the countless printouts & use of their on desk computer & Internet facility to print out documents for a temporary visa & everything I could need. For me in those trouble some days Radisson was like a home away from home .
Radisson in Madrid is a little away from the main hub of activity which is Sol but its quite & peaceful. The double rooms are great. The single room is really really small. The breakfast is great with options of cooked eggs in any form. I would highly recommend the Spanish omelette which they make really well.

• Stayed March 2013
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have just come back from a three day trip in Madrid, a beautiful city just a pity it rained but still had a great time.

I said i'd put up my opinion on this hotel as the comments on trip advisor always helps me to decide on the hotel i'm going to stay in.

This is the second time we have stayed in a radisson hotel and a great stay we have had again.

Location: It is only about 5 to 10 min walk to the city centre and there are lots of cafes and resturants around the hotel.

Bar: We had a drink in the bar most evening and the barmaid Zaida was lovely and served us the most beautiful tapas which kept us there longer.

Resturant: We had a dinner in the hotel and it was lovely.

Room: Room was small as commented by most people but grand and the shower was the nicest i've had ever in a hotel.

Faults: The breakfast is not worth the money at 16.60 each for continential breakfast should come as standard with the room.
TV only had one english station the usual bbc news I know we are in a foreign country but they get lots of english speaking guests could they not have a few more english speaking channels they do in the radisson in amsterdam, its just nice to chill out for a bit after a days site seeing and watch a bit of tv before heading out to dinner.

Traveling from the airport to the hotel get the bus its only 5 euros and its only a 10 min walk from there to the hotel. Dont know where you get the bus back to the airport as we got a taxi from the hotel to the airport and that was 40 euro.

If you like cocktails go to the hardrock cafe its only 5 euro in a taxi and the food and the cocktails are lovely.

I would definitely stay again in a radisson hotel in the next european city we go too.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having had good experiences of radisson blu previously I was expecting something better. Yes, it is in a great position, walking disance to the prado, nice part of madrid. BUT, i was there with a group of 20 people. I arrived at midnight to find that no room was available, and the excuse was that another guest had decided to stay longer and therefore there was no room. Seriously? I was given what really amounted to no more than a cupboard and was called a single room. I complained the next morning to the manager, and found out that my international guests who had arrived from long haul flights were told no room was available for them, despite us having booked the room for early check in and paying an extra amount for it. I have never been so cross! They did upgrade me to a suite, but too little too late. I would never stay here again, i would not recommend this for any business travellers expecially with clients, it does not leave a good impression.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

It was my first time in Madrid. Needless to say that location and service were crucial as my agenda was tight. Radisson Blue Madrid, I guess, met my expextations 100%. Staff was friendly and professional. Breakfast was superb. All the attractions - just cross the road. One of the best experience with Radisson !

Room Tip: Nothing to recommend, if you're non-smoker, try to get higher.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Totally recommend this hotel, in the nice part of the center of Madrid, walking distance to great locations and super safe. The rooms are new, clean and very quiet, the service is great, even the taxi driver commented on how good the hotel was. This was a great find !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Ideally situated for art and gallery lovers as well as for good restaurants and bars.

Our room faced the side street which was a bit of a problem on the first night when the room was very warm and opening the window was noisy but on the other nights it was more comfortable-not the best air con we have experienced.

If you are tempted by the indoor pool it is only 15 ft long!

Nice walk in shower , good tv, comfortable bed and friendly helpful staff all in a good location-this hotel ticked all of our boxes

Room Tip: Play safe on noise and heat and take an inside room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Madrid Prado? Share your experiences!