“Not impressed, not up to usual radisson standard” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Not impressed, not up to usual radisson standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having had good experiences of radisson blu previously I was expecting something better. Yes, it is in a great position, walking disance to the prado, nice part of madrid. BUT, i was there with a group of 20 people. I arrived at midnight to find that no room was available, and the excuse was that another guest had decided to stay longer and therefore there was no room. Seriously? I was given what really amounted to no more than a cupboard and was called a single room. I complained the next morning to the manager, and found out that my international guests who had arrived from long haul flights were told no room was available for them, despite us having booked the room for early check in and paying an extra amount for it. I have never been so cross! They did upgrade me to a suite, but too little too late. I would never stay here again, i would not recommend this for any business travellers expecially with clients, it does not leave a good impression.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

It was my first time in Madrid. Needless to say that location and service were crucial as my agenda was tight. Radisson Blue Madrid, I guess, met my expextations 100%. Staff was friendly and professional. Breakfast was superb. All the attractions - just cross the road. One of the best experience with Radisson !

Room Tip: Nothing to recommend, if you're non-smoker, try to get higher.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Totally recommend this hotel, in the nice part of the center of Madrid, walking distance to great locations and super safe. The rooms are new, clean and very quiet, the service is great, even the taxi driver commented on how good the hotel was. This was a great find !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Ideally situated for art and gallery lovers as well as for good restaurants and bars.

Our room faced the side street which was a bit of a problem on the first night when the room was very warm and opening the window was noisy but on the other nights it was more comfortable-not the best air con we have experienced.

If you are tempted by the indoor pool it is only 15 ft long!

Nice walk in shower , good tv, comfortable bed and friendly helpful staff all in a good location-this hotel ticked all of our boxes

Room Tip: Play safe on noise and heat and take an inside room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristinehamn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stay here when I am in Madrid and there is really no reason to search for anything else. The location is perfect, rooms are nice, beds very comfortable, free WiFi, great breakfast.....and a Spa. I am trying to think of something that would bring the rating down, but........no. I can´t..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago with my 11 year old daughter. I chose this hotel at the suggestion of a friend. Did he ever make a good choice! If you are in Madrid for the "Golden Triangle" of arts, you are literally across the street!. The Prado lies about a block down the road. The rooms are small but very quiet and comfortable. The restaurant offers a great breakfast with excellent service. The bathrooms are larger than I expected and were very comfortable to share. This is not a luxury hotel BUT a very comfortable hotel.
Another VERY important issue arose during our stay. My 11 year old came down with an infection and high fever. The staff took over for me. They called a doctor and were very concerned about us. The Doctor came almost immediately. He was professional and got my daughter back to better health with a prescription for antibiotics immediately. Being away from home is tough enough, but in a foreign country away from our doctors and family made it tougher.
The only source of irritation was that the rooms were very hot. We had to open our balcony door at night.
Thanks to the Radisson Blu for a great experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony overlooking the restaurant across the street from the hotel. You can le...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in Madrid at the Radisson Blu because it was close to a business hotel where my husband had meetings and close to all the museums we both wanted to visit. We upgraded from a standard room to a superior with breakfast, which gave us a balcony room 209 on the plaza. I already read about the complaints concerning the heat of the room, I asked the front desk to come lower the temp, which they did to 17c, but it was still too warm and stuffy at night and we cracked the door, so we did hear a bit of noise. Perhaps best to stay with the less expensive inner court (no view but walls) view and open the windows to quiet. Maybe not a problem after winter???

We did not use the pool, because it was cold outside in feb and the little pool has cold water. The fitness room is two pieces of equipment and just silly, but this you will find all over Europe at 4 and 5 star hotels, unless you get to a coastal resort.

Most of the complaints about the Rad Blu are the same as other hotels, because this is Europe in a big city (same for NYC for that matter), fitness is nothing, the room is very small, the beds are hard. . .get over it. This aside, it is a perfect hotel in an absolutely perfect location. Nice clean modern decor.

Our afternoon arrival day, we walked to Reina Sofia in just a few minutes and enjoyed seeing Picasso's Guernica among other 20th century works. Found a great tapas bar (directly to your right out of the Rad Blu entrance) where we ate happily often in our three days. Day two I walked across the street to the great Prado Museum. Day three I walked about 15 min to the major shopping area and spent the morning. My husband joined me for a full afternoon at the Museo Thyssen another 5 min walk. Extraordinary collection from Gothic to Pop Art. . .much more American art than I have seen any where in Europe.

Lots of shops and restaurants directly to your left out of the entrance. We enjoyed the lovely breakfast buffet at the hotel each morning. Ask and they will made to-order eggs or special coffees. We did not use the hotel restaurant for dinner because we eat earlier and did tapas instead. The wifi was excellent. With business class the movies were included and we watched a movie each night.

Room Tip: Least expensive room face a blank interior court, while the superior have a balcony facing toward th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Madrid Prado? Share your experiences!