“worst hostel I've ever been.” 1 of 5 stars

Hostal Almanzor
Carrera San Jeronimo, 11, 28014 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #181 of 237 Madrid B&B and Inns
Istanbul, Turkey
“worst hostel I've ever been.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hostel is very dark, dirty and smelly. There were bugs in the room! Clean, no way!

If you stay in a room facing the street, it is pretty noisy cause people sit and drink at the street, than they start yelling and breaking the beer bottles. We went back to the hostel around 3am and and we could not sleep till morning.

The people who work there don't speak english but they are nice and friendly.

The location is excellent but it doesn't worth staying there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel is very close to Madrid's main square, Puerta del Sol. Easy to find, metro stations are just few minutes away. Main sights are also very close.
The hotel itself is simple, but the room was very clean. You can find many cafes in the street to have a breakfast. If you have problems with sleeping, bring earplugs, because it is in a noisy street.
If you are looking for a cheap place in the centre for sleeping, choose Hostal Almanzor!
Ideal for young people and families without small children.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kingman, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This hostel is very basic, but at least clean. It is located within walking distance of all Madrid's main attractions. It is very noisy at night - remember earplugs!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Corrientes, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I recomend this hotel because I had the best experience in Madrid staying here. The hotel's location is sensational: its 1 block away from Puerta del Sol. the area is very safe and the owners and employees of the hotel had the best intention to help me in anything, and were very polite all the time. If I ever come back to Spain I'll definetly stay there again. I got more that what I had payed for. It's excellent! Cheap, very clean and comfortable.
This is why you should book here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

After reading the reviews in Spanish, I booked this for my solo travels. The reviews were mostly right- great location and very clean. However, the staff and other promises made leave a lot to be desired. My "room" was more like what I imagine a Japanese closet-like bed hole for a business man. The "free internet" is only available if you stay in a room near the front door, which a majority of rooms are not. So, to call my husband at 9am before he went to work at home, I had to venture into the smoke-filled room near the front desk where the one person working watches TV in the dark. I'm not kidding-it's not pleasant. Then, the male who "works" there (i.e. watches soccer in the dark with lots of cigarettes) told me I couldn't talk (I was Skyping) as it was too early and I would wake the other guests... not that any occupied rooms were even near me. No one on staff spoke English, so lucky for me I studied Spanish, and they offered no help or niceties of any kind. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hostal Almanzor? Share your experiences!