“Always good” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
United Kingdom
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Had a lovely meal with friends over Christmas. The service was great and the food was very good, as it always is. I had a lovely prawn au gratin to start with followed by a seafood risotto which was delicious. Always good!

sheffield
“As Good As 2011”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We ate at the restaurant several times over the festive period and we were never disappointed. We had not been to Gib for two yaers and I must say that the standards had not dropped, perhaps even better.

I contacted the restaurant by email before we left the UK to reserve a table for the night after boxing day. My email was answered swiftly and on our arrival at the restaurant we were shown to our table. So good was the service and the food that we reserved a table for the other four nights and we also had lunch there twice.

The guy who runs the place is called Andrew and he is a really nice chap. Nothing is to much trouble and although he was in Madrid for three days over Christmas as soon as he was back on the Saturday evening he came straight over to our table shook hands etc and welcomed us all back. He even apologised for the fact that he had not been there when we ate there on our first night.

A special mention to a young lady called Petra. She was our waitress every night and she was outstanding. Helped us choose wine, gave advice on various meals or dishes and even brought things for us to try if we were not sure what they tasted like. I must say that all of the staff are greabut Petra stood out.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Food here is good, I've been three or four times now and i've not had a bad meal yet. The menu is varied and the prices are pretty reasonable

Visited December 2012
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Brilliant restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Came to Gibraltar for a holiday in the summer to see some family, they took me here and I have to say it is one of the best restaurants I've been to abroad, great service, staff were brilliant, atmosphere and scenery were both brilliant as well, exceptional value. I loved that evening if I come to Gibraltar again I would love to come to the waterfront again for definite.

• Visited June 2012
Gibraltar
“Insipid at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant. £60 for dinner for two without starters and a couple of drinks and what you get is distinctly average food at best. We had a lamb shank and liver dish, both were served with a huge mountain of lumpy mashed potato and nothing else. Strangely on asking after a few vegetables we were told that those dishes didn't come with veg, the menu didn't tell us this nor did it give us the option of ordering a side plate of greenery, and of course the waiter didn't offer. So we did eventually receive a small dish of undercooked (some would say raw) veg. What was weird is that I couldn't spot a dish on the menu that needed vegetables more than these two.

Both dishes were lacking in flavour, bland, bland, bland unadventurous stodge. It wouldn't be so bad except that given the cost (the Lamb was £16, yes without veg) you expect a little culinary skill and these dishes showed none.

Then to the sweets. Well once again at around £5-£6 you expect something of a reasonable quality and what you get is slop! One bread and butter pudding which was poor, one crumble with pastry and no crumble...just poor! What makes it worse is in a vain attempt to add a little "class" to the dish the best the chef can do is slap some Ice Cream syrup over the top.

I have had far better in a local cafe in the UK. Yes better lamb, yes better liver, and yes much better value for money. The service is ok I suppose, don't expect any real interest though, the staff is just going through the motions.

So if you like bland boring food served by bored staff at an outlandish price then this is the place for you.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere