“Room for improvement still” 4 of 5 stars

Sunborn Gibraltar
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ocean Village, Gibraltar GX11 1AA   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Room for improvement still”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Having just returned from a stay at the Sunborn it will one day be a great hotel however they still need to address the air conditioning and the beds are a lethal weapon with sharp edges that stick out by 6 inches, my wife sustained a deep cut that took 3 days to stop bleeding, the location is great and I feel sure given a little more time the problems will be solved.

Room Tip: look the other way when toilets in the rooms are in use.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Miguel P, Guest Relations Manager at Sunborn Gibraltar, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Mr Michael,

From Sunborn team we want to give our many thanks for having submitted your comments . We try to improve every day always offering excellence, that's why every opinion or comment is of a great importance to us.

I am really sorry to hear about a faulty AC and your wife's corners bed incident. Please be rest assured that this does not reflect our normal standards. This will be fixed straight away.

We ensure that at all times we have tried to work and do everything in our power to offer you a satisfactory solution.

Once again, sorry what happened and as we have expressed in our apologies we have sent you , we remain at your disposal for whatever we can be helpful.

Guests Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at the Sunborn for 2 nights in June to celebrate my wife's birthday. A bit on the pricey side, but the rooms were as expected for a 5 star hotel and the view of the marina and airport added to the enjoyment. We met the GM who invited us to the official opening party of the hotel on our first evening. Delightful stay.

Room Tip: Best to request a room on the starboard side faces the Marina and the airport runway.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr George,

Thank you so much for your kind and honest comment about your stay at Sunborn Gibraltar. We are really happy to know you keep this great impression about us and we are glad to know we make you feel so good with your Sunborn Experience.

We will be honored if you can celebrate in the future your birthday parties at Sunborn.

Please find Sunborn Gibraltar as your second home.

Warm regards,

Guests Relations Manager.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by friendly staff, who couldnt do enough for us. Even though we were early, they said we could book into the room at 11am ,which was great.
We were escorted to the room ,where the Intelligent System that operates the curtains, TV. Air con was explained to us.
We had a lovely terrace overlooking the bay.
The bathroom was spacious and inviting with high quality fittings , marble and hand made ceramic tiles.
We just didnt want to leave the room it was so wonderful.
We decided to explore the ship, starting at the infinity pool and bar area.
It was a very hot day and the pool cooled us down.
At lunchtime ,we decided to try out Room service so that we could eat on our terrace.
We ordered the Rib eye steak, which the tastiest steak ever and was cooked to perfection.
The restaurant prices were very reasonable for a 5 star venue.
In the evening we walked a few metres to The Cuban bar.
I had read about it on Trip Advisor and it didnt disappoint.
Live band with South American group kept us entertained all night.
The food and prices were both excellent.
Back to the ship for a very comfortable night.
The breakfast onboard was a very high standard with food to cater for everyones tastes.
Some tasty shots of fresh beetroot, or kiwi, and other fruits too.
We will definitely come back to stay again. Unforgettable.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Mr Foodie042,

We would like to thank you for such a wonderful review of your recent stay at Sunborn Gibraltar.

We are thrilled to read your recommendation about our team, convenient location and attentive yet unobtrusive service.

Rest assured that your delightful comments have been shared with our entire staff and they extend their gratitude for your acknowledgement.

Looking forward to welcome you very soon at our hotel,

Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Had a really wonderful 4 night stay here. Accommodation very stylish, clean and modern. Breakfast lovely. Staff all very helpful and attentive. One of the best hotels we've stayed in. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. Liz,

I am truly happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay at Sunborn Gibraltar.

I thank you for pointing out our excellent staff. They are indeed a real asset for the hotel!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Barnsley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at your hotel on the 22nd of June.
When we arrived I was very worried as the reception seemed to have 2 booking for us which completely threw me.
The guy on reception was rather rude when I explained we didn't have 2 bookings and why would we make 2 bookings for the same night!!!!!
We were shown to our room which after a long day travelling was welcome.
When we got to the room I said to my wife that I didn't think the room given was the room we booked.
My wife was very stressed due to the rudeness of the reception person that she said it didn't matter and as it was our 25th wedding anniversary could we please go out.
When we returned I asked the same reception guy if we had the correct room!
He once more started ranting about having 2 bookings and said he had put us in an executive room!
I told him I didn't book that room and had booked a superior room and that he should move us although this was 11pm by then.
I insisted that he upgrade us which after I told him I was going to leave the hotel he did....
All though the room was beautiful I and my wife felt totally upset and distraught at the whole episode.
It ruined our silver wedding anniversary !
The next morning on checkout a lady apologised for the whole episode but to be quite honest I just wanted to get out of the place.
My wife could not believe the whole episode and has vowed never to stay again.
This hotel needs to up its game if it's to be called a true 5*.
I have also emailed the hotel with my complaint but it seems to have fell on deaf ears!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Mbetts,

I am very sorry for the inconveniences occurred during your stay. We are still training some of the staff members on how to communicate with guests in an excellent manner.

Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your feedback and we will take whatever steps we can to improve and serve better every day.

If you wish to stay once again please contact me personally calling the hotel phone number and ask for Miguel and I will arrange an unforgettable stay for you.

Sorry for the delay. We genuinely hope that you will consider staying at Sunborn Gibraltar again.

Your sincerely,

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Lovely hotel and very cheerful, friendly and helpful staff. The interior design is wonderful and the carpets in the corridors lovely and soft.
Excellent coffee and tea facilities in the rooms and wonderful breakfast with a large range of hot and cold food. I would recommend the smoothies, yogurts and omelettes .
On the top deck there are a few sun beds and a small pool, this may not be adequate when the hotel is full.
The rooms are very quiet at night and there are plenty of options near by or on the yacht to eat at the full range of prices.
I would stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Miguel P, Guest Relations Manager at Sunborn Gibraltar, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Ms LesleyN,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences here. In a close future the hotel will be fully operational with our second restaurant and the casino bar.

About the sunbeds, I have already discussed the issue with my management team to take corrective measures.

We would be very pleased to seeing you soon again at Sunborn Gibraltar,

Miguel P
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

First impressions.... WOW!

We first saw the Sunborn on Secret Escapes a while ago and last Monday looked into and boom we were flying out for 4 nights on Friday!! When arriving we were taken aback at the shear size of the 'Yacht'. All checked in with a fresh cold glass of water and OJ and a young man took us to our room to show us 'how it worked', slightly concerned!! Well all the lights and curtains are done at the touch of a few buttons, it was great!! We were on the 6th floor marina side so we had amazing views including the runway which for us we loved, hardly noticed the 4 or 5 flights a day. Off we went to explore... up to top deck to check out the pool, bar and sun!!

The pool is on the small and cold side but for a boat I guess its of a good size nice to chill out to with amazing views from the sun beds. The bar is of course was slightly pricey but its what you'd expect from a 5* hotel. Breakfast was fab, had everything and anything, even fresh to order pancakes and omelettes.

All the staff we came across were very nice and polite couldn't do enough for you and nothing was to much trouble.

Over the days we stayed we did of course come across a few issues like the TV going on and off but it didnt worry us as we'd only be in the room to chill. The air con was hit and miss seemed to work during the day but nights were stuffy and hot. They came to have a look and it was working well but again seemed to not work over night. We didnt use the mini bar just the shop down on the marina for extra snacks etc but did take advantage of the complementarity water, teas and coffee.

The room was very spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful with an exceptional shower. Bed very comfy was made up everyday and made up for bedtime. Yes there are large corners of the bed which you could bump your shins on and tbh I didnt as I knew they were there!!! Just be vigilant!!!

I would definitely recommend to stay here fab location to explore Gib and everything you need is walking distance and plenty of places to eat if your not eating on the boat, Main St about 5min walk so perfect.

Loved our luxury sunny stay!!!

Room Tip: 1. You don't necessarily need a transfer from the airport - its a 5min taxi ride which would pro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. B5PAY,

Thank you so much for your "WOW" comments! It was a pleasure to be your host at the Sunborn Gibraltar and we are very happy to know that you enjoyed each and every minute of your stay. Meanwhile I shared your feedback with my entire team, which is a great motivation fort all of us to keep up the good work.

I am sorry to hear about the bed corner issues, this will be fixed immediately.

In regards to the AC, this is a new concept in the hotel industry and the AC works differently than in that off a fixed building or solid structures.

We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon again!

Warm regards from the Sunborn Gibraltar,

Miguel P
Guests Relations Manager

Been to Sunborn Gibraltar? Share your experiences!