“Sunning up on Sunborn!!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Sunborn Gibraltar to your Saves list
Sunborn Gibraltar
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ocean Village, Gibraltar GX11 1AA   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
“Sunning up on Sunborn!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

First impressions.... WOW!

We first saw the Sunborn on Secret Escapes a while ago and last Monday looked into and boom we were flying out for 4 nights on Friday!! When arriving we were taken aback at the shear size of the 'Yacht'. All checked in with a fresh cold glass of water and OJ and a young man took us to our room to show us 'how it worked', slightly concerned!! Well all the lights and curtains are done at the touch of a few buttons, it was great!! We were on the 6th floor marina side so we had amazing views including the runway which for us we loved, hardly noticed the 4 or 5 flights a day. Off we went to explore... up to top deck to check out the pool, bar and sun!!

The pool is on the small and cold side but for a boat I guess its of a good size nice to chill out to with amazing views from the sun beds. The bar is of course was slightly pricey but its what you'd expect from a 5* hotel. Breakfast was fab, had everything and anything, even fresh to order pancakes and omelettes.

All the staff we came across were very nice and polite couldn't do enough for you and nothing was to much trouble.

Over the days we stayed we did of course come across a few issues like the TV going on and off but it didnt worry us as we'd only be in the room to chill. The air con was hit and miss seemed to work during the day but nights were stuffy and hot. They came to have a look and it was working well but again seemed to not work over night. We didnt use the mini bar just the shop down on the marina for extra snacks etc but did take advantage of the complementarity water, teas and coffee.

The room was very spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful with an exceptional shower. Bed very comfy was made up everyday and made up for bedtime. Yes there are large corners of the bed which you could bump your shins on and tbh I didnt as I knew they were there!!! Just be vigilant!!!

I would definitely recommend to stay here fab location to explore Gib and everything you need is walking distance and plenty of places to eat if your not eating on the boat, Main St about 5min walk so perfect.

Loved our luxury sunny stay!!!

Room Tip: 1. You don't necessarily need a transfer from the airport - its a 5min taxi ride which would pro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Miguel P, Guest Relations Manager at Sunborn Gibraltar, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Mr. B5PAY,

Thank you so much for your "WOW" comments! It was a pleasure to be your host at the Sunborn Gibraltar and we are very happy to know that you enjoyed each and every minute of your stay. Meanwhile I shared your feedback with my entire team, which is a great motivation fort all of us to keep up the good work.

I am sorry to hear about the bed corner issues, this will be fixed immediately.

In regards to the AC, this is a new concept in the hotel industry and the AC works differently than in that off a fixed building or solid structures.

We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon again!

Warm regards from the Sunborn Gibraltar,

Miguel P
Guests Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I'd been staying in Algeciras for two nights and it was quite awful. Decided to check out and find a hotel in Gibraltar. Found this first. Great service on phone and was cheaper to book online, which I did, and they gave me an immediate upgrade. I wish I had come straight here on Monday. Facilities in you are great, quite techie, but I love the space and the coffee pods and fully stocked mini bar. The staff have been great from helping me out of the taxi to providing directions. I wish I could stay longer, but I have to leave on Saturday morning. Now I know Gibraltar is so close, and I've found a hotel I'm already loving, I can see some long weekends being booked.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a deluxe room which has a Juliet balcony and is very spacious, even for two.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Maureen,

Great to read from you, thank you so much for your positive feedback and for posting it here on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to be your host and are looking forward to seeing you soon again here.
Sunny regards from Gibraltar,

Miguel P
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have to say everyone was unsure and dreading it, but aside from the poor Tradewinds it is a success.

1. Top notch service
2. Good food and not bad prices
3. Amazing view

I wouldn't rate the suites at the front of the boat for the money way over priced, but the main rooms good location, spacious and good value.

Inside bar and reception beautiful and gives a great first impression. The manager seems to care and politely addresses your questions.

Overall a winner

Room Tip: Out to the sea spain directions
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Karon,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and for posting it here. We really appreciate your review and especially for your kind comments about our staff and our gastronomy.

Don't forget check new offers and packages for all types room categories in our web !!

I hope to see you very soon. Meanwhile, enjoy the summer,

Guests Relations Manager.
Forlimpopoli, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Presented as a 5*, the hotel has the potential but is not a 5* yet. The staff are helpful and friendly, although one of the cleaners complained - in Spanish - that I had the "do not disturb" sign on and she could not make the room. Well... I thought that was the purpose of it. Other little things that need fixing: Sat-TV went randomly blank for 20-30 seconds with no apparent reason. The fancy home automation system for open/close curtains, set the aircon, switch ligths on/off is boring to use. I was alone but the door-less bathroom and the see through glass panels could put some people off.
the plus points:
The bedroom was comfortable and very clean. The shower is amazing. I liked the convenient usb socket for charging phone and tablet. Electric sockets are both UK and Euro. Breakfast is varied and even the cappuccino was good.
All considered it is the best hotel in Gibraltar.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Paolo,

First of all we would like to thank you for your honest review about Sunborn Gibraltar and for taking your time to describe your experience in detail and we apologize for the inconveniences you found that make your stay not to be perfect.

Because we are a young business our staff are subject to extensive and on going training, which includes customer relations.

All rooms are equipped with top of the range technology to make the room more ergonomic for our guests.

Once again, sorry for what happened and as we have expressed in our apologies we have sent you , we remain at your disposal for whatever we can be helpful for.

Finedon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

First the bad. Mini bar, coffee and tea etc not restocked during stay. Toiletries not restocked during stay. Tried to watch tv in room, it kept going off and re-setting every several minutes. On last day could not get into room to check out after breakfast. Went down to reception, they said it was sorted. Guess what, had to go back down as it wasn't. They sent an engineer. He said the system hadn't been checked that morning and should have been?
By the time we checked out after all this we were running late with the airport pick up and made everyone else late which reflected badly on us. Not really 5 star is it. Not even offered any type of discount and reception didn't take any notes of the above information we told them.
This is a shame as the yacht is very nice and in a great location.
Two more warnings. Although it is not a fault of the Sunborn it can get noisy at night and in the mornings, and wait for this, five pounds for a small bag of crisps!
When they can get everything running smoothly it might be worth two hundred plus pounds a night.

Dear Mr. Timbo,

First of all, I would like to thank you for staying at Sunborn Gibraltar and for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay.

We highly appreciate your opinion on our hotel and services. Constructive criticism, positive and negative alike, is always welcome at the Sunborn, aiding us in improving, where improvement is needed, repairing, where repairs are necessary, and being proud of, what is worth being recognized.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences this might have caused you and kindly allow me to assure you that I have already discussed the issue with General Manager to take corrective actions.

Dear Guest, thank you once again for your valuable time and comments.

Should you plan to return to our hotel please do not hesitate to inform me of your next reservation, giving me the opportunity to make your stay more pleasurable.

With Warm Regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife to be selected this Hotel, I had visions of a newly painted version of the Cross Channel Ferry but was over the moon when I saw how comfortably Sunborn nestles into the marina at Ocean Village. I know many residents were fearful of the affect it would have but I think being smaller that one of the buildings it is moored alongside it actually enhances the area.
Its well integrated into the Marina life but still stands apart its very cleverly done.
The common areas are well prepared, bright, new and modern décor, the rooms are stunning on levels 3 upward (these have a balcony), the staff are very helpful and the restaurant excellent. Although breakfast appears expensive its worth it, really!
We were greeted with champagne and strawberries in our room, this was after a welcoming glass of fresh orange juice served at reception!
I have actually booked a 2 day stay again for next year to celebrate our anniversary which should give you assurance that we were very happy there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on deck 3 and upward for a balcony, port side gives you more sun but O'Reilly'...
Dear Mr. Suntrekka,

I am truly happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay at Sunborn Gibraltar!!

I thank you for pointing out our excellent breakfast. They are indeed a real asset for the hotel!

Regarding the special occasion for the next year my team will be very happy to fully personalise your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Cranfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

WOW!

From the moment I arrived until my departure the Sunborn treated me like royalty. The hotel oozes class and style, the rooms are immaculate and luxurious and the decor throughout is beautiful. The hotel's location is ideally situated within Ocean Village, surrounded by bars, restaurants and a 5-10minute walk from Casemates Square.

I stayed in a superior room overlooking the sea, towards the runway and Spain - if you like watching planes it's brilliant, but even if you don't there are only 5 or 6 flights a day so you won't be bothered by plane noise etc.

As you would expect from a new hotel, everything is spotless throughout and it is kept this way with superb housekeeping services of the highest standard - all the toiletries were replenished daily (and plenty of them), the room was meticulously clean and the chrome in the shower/bathroom was polished to a perfect mirror finish every day. There was also a nightly turndown service to replenish toiletries and replace used towels etc. VERY impressive!

The room was well appointed...a massive and extremely comfortable bed, fridge/mini-bar, 40'' LCD TV, large safe, beautifully decorated throughout including plenty of lighting options and floor to ceiling large double patio doors with a balcony.
The room's "party piece" comes in the way they have seemlessly integrated so much technology into it. By the side of the bed is a colour touchscreen phone with controls for amongst other things...electrically opening/closing the two sets of curtains, setting the room to do not disturb/make up the room (a sign illuminates outside the door), climate controls to set the temperature and multiple light switches, which offer plenty of different settings, ranging from illuminating the 'dome' in the ceiling to floodfill the room to controlling the bathroom/shower to setting the concealed moodlights or even a nightlight! It's amazing!
In addition there is a tech panel built into the desk under the TV that allows you to plug in an hdmi cable (no need to fiddle around with the back of the TV). There is also a usb charging socket, modem plug and two (UK) power points - there are numerous sockets around the room, some of which are Euro plugs.
The room also features a Lavazza coffee machine!

There is a two-way mirrored door wardrobe - one side opens to the room and the other directly into the bathroom. With one or other door open, and even (just about) with both closed one can see from the room into the bathroom and vice-versa, which might concern some people from a privacy point of view. On this subject, be aware that there is no specific door to the bathroom, so one can walk from the room, round a corner and into an open bathroom.

The bathroom itself is wonderful...marbled appenditures, glass doors, chrome taps/controls and one of the best showers I have EVER encountered ANYWHERE...two shower heads - one traditional, one overhead 'rain'. Both are amazingly powerful, perfect temperature control and instead of a metal drain, there is a one inch gap in a square shape in the marble floor allowing water to slip away in style.

The staff throughout the hotel were simply awesome...they were so friendly, attentive and helpful at all times...a real asset to the hotel.

There are two bars...the Sapphire Bar, one floor up from the lobby - we found this was mostly deserted and often unstaffed. The Sky Bar on the top floor affords lovely views of the sea and Ocean Village. Both are quite pricey (5* hotel = 5* bar prices)...for example, £4 for a 33cl beer, around £10 for a single spirit and mixer and £57 for a bottle of 'house' Champagne. Given the location of the hotel, there are lots of bars nearby with better prices and also nice views, too.

The restaurant, whilst being a lovely setting with great views was not quite 5*...nice, but given the limited choice and not amazing quality (good, not great) I would not want to eat there more than once per stay. It is pricey for what it offers and the wines are also very much overpriced.

Breakfast was excellent and once again, the staff are superb and very attentive. A cold glass of Cava went down nicely!

As per most hotels, the mini-bar is extortionate though!

I only have a few criticisms that stop this being a perfect 10 out of 10 hotel.

1 The air conditioning is poor in the rooms and needs to be upgraded. I visited in May when temperatures outside are around 20-25 and despite setting the room's ac on full power and on the lowest temperature (11) it was always too warm, which despite having a superbly comfortable bed makes the sleep quality not as good as it could be. This will be a bigger issue in the summer!

2 No bathroom door. The open plan nature of the room is great but us Brits need a door to the bathroom, which can be done without losing the openness of the design.

3 As has been noted by other reviews, the corners of the beds stick out and you WILL kick them at some point.

4 The toilet seems a little high.

Overall, a great hotel with the potential to become amazing.
I look forward to returning in September.

Room Tip: Facing the runway is entertaining
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest PSBSi,

Thank you for taking the time to make once again such wonderful review about your last stay with us on Tripadvisor.

Have guests as great as you is an honor, and it is a pleasure to read that we keep surprising you with an excellent service in every new stay. We are very happy that you appreciate all our services, and specialty our polite and helpful staff , we truly believe they are the strongest point of Sunborn Gibraltar.

We will keep improving our services, so you can find your next experience with even better. It would be a pleasure and a great honor to have you once again at Sunborn Gibraltar as guest.

With Warm Regards,

Guests Relations Manager

Been to Sunborn Gibraltar? Share your experiences!