“really enjoyed it Great room cleaned daily, Good view, Friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bristol Hotel

Save Saved
You added Bristol Hotel to your Saves list
Bristol Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 / 10 Cathedral Square, P O Box 56, Gibraltar   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Gibraltar
Devon
“really enjoyed it Great room cleaned daily, Good view, Friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Old building, added to the charm.Loved the atmosphere. Our room great with view over bay but do accept all were not as good. Cleaning done every day with clean bedding and towels. Problem with shower reported and was dealt with straight away. Staff really friendly and helpful. Breakfast plain but fresh and plenty of it.. We love Gibraltar, it has happy memories for us. It was good being in such a cental location. We have never stayed at The Bristol before but we were recommended it by our daughter who stayed there in May and loved it. We will definitely be staying there again.
Nothing was too much trouble for the friendly reception staff even when they were busy.
Key "rings" were a bit ... or should I say very...large but at leeast you couldn't lose them or accidently take them out.
Lounge was comfortably furnished, old fashioned but that decor suited the building. As other peole have said the place was like a rabbit warren but that's how it was bult and added to the atmosphere of a building of that age.
In summing up, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and would definitely recomend it.
Thank you to everyone at The Bristol for making ourstay there so enjoyable, we will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

We have just returned from Gibraltar where we stayed for 4 nights at the Bristol. Yes, we did read the reviews before flying from the UK and did have some concerns. That said, we decided to 'take as we found' and we are pleased that we did. The location is excellent, the rooms are dated but have a certain character, there is a clean fridge within the room (at no expense), the room gave great views over the bay and the staff were very friendly. One of our party sustained an injury and the staff could not have been more helpful. No, it is not a 5 star hotel with 5 star trimmings. It is, however, a great place to stay and we will definately return. if I had one criticism, it would be that the rooms should be hoovered. It was quite clear that ours had not seen a hoover for some time. This, however is not to be taken as a slight on the hotel or its cleanliness. We loved our holiday there and we have stayed in some very suspect places and top international hotels before this so the bottom line is : You get what you pay for and we have no complaints at all.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed at the Bristol Hotel for 1 night and the locaton if great, the hotel is clean & has a lovely pool and bar. if your looking for the closest hotel on the rock to walk to the main street this is the one. Make sure if you have a car you get there early as they have limited parking outside the hotel, we had the last space.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I had read on the internet before going how bad this hotel was BUT it was clean and the staff were so courteous, yes the decor needs updating but it is not falling off the walls it is just outdated. Our Air conditioning went in our room, was mentioned to staff and within a bigger room was made available for us just in case it broke down again. Pool is smallish but it has plenty of loungers and seats and the bar staff are very friendly and cheerful. The breakfast is plain but nice and sets you up nicely for the day. Position to town is A1. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Let this review be a warning to anyone who is thinking of booking Bristol Hotel. This place should be knocked down and rebuilt. Smelly,dirty,very old fashioned (very tired 70s / 80s look). Rooms full of all sorts of insects.Cleaners do ntohing but changin towels.
We stayed there for 6 nights as had no choice (hotel was pre-paid) and breakfast menu was exactly the same every morning (very little choice by the way).
The only good thing about this place is the location,nothing else.
Dear Owners,considering how much you charge,it's time to invest some money!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
North Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

yes it is three years since we made a booking for this hotel but have just read the reviews on here............the absolute pits or pit! My husband booked a family room here and the minute I walked in never in a million years would I have spent a night here.............luckily the rock was able to accomodate us otherwise we would have camped in the car...........just do not even go there. I think my sons word for it is "minging" and believe me that is saying something as the mother of a teenager

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed at the Bristol Hotel overnight on a business trip to Gibraltar, and while the staff were very nice and helpful, and the location was great (10 minute walk to the office I was visiting), pretty much everything was absolutely awful.

My reservation was for a single room, which is normally fine, but this was the tiniest little box room that I've ever seen, so I asked to move to a double. Thankfully, the staff were very helpful and this wasn't a problem. But, while the double room was larger, it was by no means spacious and it was still pretty horrible. Awful old carpets, crumbling pink (yes pink) paint on the walls, crap beds with horrible cheap bedclothes and rubber/plastic under sheet (yuck). The bathroom was just unbelievable, with cheapest of the cheap panelling in colours unavailable since 1976 (check out the pictures posted by another user). There was an air conditioning unit, but it was one of those standalone things that you just can't leave on because they make such a racket. There was also a fridge, but it was empty and stank of stale milk.

Apart from the rooms, the rest of interior, apart from the reception area, is equally bad, if not worse. Dirty old carpets (I mean old, stinky and stained, not necessarily requiring a vacuum) and the corridor walls are wood panelled, but not in a good way. As far as I recall, the ceilings were wood panelled too. The corridor outside my room stank of smoke, just to make things even worse.

I also ate the worst hotel breakfast ever at the Bristol, which basically amounted to two crap pieces of toast, some jam and instant coffee. There wasn't any fruit and although I tried a yoghurt, I didn't get any further than the first spoonful, it was disgusting. There were some other things to choose from, but the selection was pretty awful. some cereals, some meats, cheese and boiled eggs. Other people might have gotten by fine on the breakfast, but I like to keep my breakfast light when I'm away on business and usually just have strong coffee and fruit, neither of which was an option (this is the first hotel I've stayed at that didn't have both fruit and real coffee available at breakfast).

So, to sum it up, and apologies for the rant, this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at (and I've stayed at some pretty basic hotels before). Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!