“Much improved” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
UK
“Much improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Not sure if all rooms are now completed but mine on the 4th floor was. Really nice old vs new feel in the rooms and looks like they are still finishing but great improvement. Wonder if the 5 star yacht hotel moored down the road forced the change? First time ever I've used the pool as it's across the road and that's great as we'll.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dunk69
CharlesDanino, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Dunk69,
Thank you for your review and thank you for your good comments. As a matter of fact, the refurbishment had been planned well before the yacht hotel arrived. Possibly the fact that the most iconic hotel in Gibraltar was announcing a refurbishment attracted the attention of others. Seriously, the destination itself has been growing relentlessly in its touristic appeal and has been consolidating itself in the business sector.
I look forward to welcoming you back.

Hucknall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Just returned from The Rock. My wife and I last stayed here about two years ago. The refurbishment is now well underway and it has made a tremendous difference to the feel of the 'old gal'. The check in was most efficient, hardly any wait, we stayed on the 4th floor in a refurbished room and it has been done very well. Breakfast each day was plentiful and of decent quality. Staff were always very helpful and most friendly - a great example: the first morning we realised we had no adaptor for the kettle, just as we fancied a cuppa! I mentioned it to the reception lady who gave much apology and 20 minutes later one is delivered to the room. No fuss, no biggie. Yes it's at the mid point of a steep hill, yes the pool is across the road, yes it still is being refurbished, if these things matter to you then it's probably not the place for you - but it's still a great hotel and well worth a stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
Dear FaceOfDuncan,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Rock Hotel. I look forward to your return visit. Thanks for highlighting so many positives. Sometimes you need to climb the top of a tree or the tip of a mountain to enjoy amazing views.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Recently stayed at The Rock (July 2014) with my daughter and was very pleased with the hotel. The refurbished room was very roomy and comfortable with a good-sized balcony. The aircon worked well and everything was clean and well kept. The staff were very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. We had a meal in the hotel which was by the pool - good food and reasonably priced. The hotel is in a pleasant location opposite a nature reserve but make sure you take walking shoes for the fairly steep walk back to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Dear ChrisMarie58,
Thanks for your review. Your positive comments are very rewarding to all of us at The Rock Hotel. By putting in "Lot's of Love and Lot's of Attention to Detail" in everything we do our customers enjoyment will be assured. I look forwrd to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I've just returned from Gibraltar and stayed at the Rock. We stay here about twice a year and are happy to see the refurb taking shape. It was much needed and long overdue. We stayed on the 3rd floor. It appears they are no longer selling the old rooms. The new rooms have new tilted windows (to keep the apes out), a much needed fridge and the bathroom is now a wet room. There is still plenty of work to be done in the main areas but it's all looking good.
I have just read the recent review by Ian Handleywyborn and sadly I have to agree with him regarding the situation at the pool. The pool area is the best you can find. It is a little haven tucked away and perfect for travellers that go to Gib to unwind. Unfortunately it is often spoilt by 'club' members. The pool area has rules and regulations as one would expect but these are often overlooked when the club members come in. The pool closes a 8pm but it's almost impossible to enjoy a quiet evening there. I'm sure they bring in much needed revenue but please Rock hotel don't loose sight of your paying/staying guests.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Potsie52
Dear Potsie52,
Many thanks for your kind review following your stay at The Rock Hotel. I am glad that your enjoyed the newly refurbished rooms and the new faciltiies. I must agree with your comment regarding the unique beauty of the pool and its surroundings and that rules and regulations are applicable to all including local members. We will be as observant as necessary in order to ensure that our hotel residents' enjoyment is not affected.
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I recently had the opportunity to stay at The Rock Hotel, whilst on business in Gibraltar. I found the hotel to be very comfortable, the facilities to be first rate, especially the pool and the staff to be welcoming, helpful and friendly. The views on the seaward side of the hotel are outstanding. I only managed to eat breakfast at the hotel, but it was delicious with a fabulous choice and eggs cooked to order.
My acid test is always would I stay again and in this case it is a definite yes, I can't wait to return to further enjoy the delights of Gibraltar.

Room Tip: If possible go for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear GSquared2013,
Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially that you will be returning to The Rock Hotel.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Having never visited Gibraltar before, my primary requirement based on my budget was for a decent hotel, basic single room with en-suite facilities not necessarily with a balcony but most essential, a decent sized swimming pool with on-site changing, toilet and refreshment facilities.

The intention of my 5 day stay was to relax around the pool from pool opening time 1000hrs through to about 4PM and then wander into town for a few drinks and a meal coupled with a little sightseeing.

The north end of ‘Main Street’ is only about 10 minutes downhill walk from the hotel, with Casements Square about another 1-15 minutes stroll; taxis from the square back to the hotel cost £4 and a ’senior’ all-day bus ticket £1.20.

After much research I selected ‘The Rock’ and was made fully aware by my booking agent - MyGibraltar.co.uk of the major refurbishment currently underway.

On arrival at about mid-day my room was not available, but that presented no problem as armed with a free ‘welcome’ drink I made my way across the road to the pool. There I found a very relaxing atmosphere, nice bar / snack bar area and young attentative staff. There are adequate toilet and changing facilities and many sun loungers with umberllas - ideal just what I required.

After several hours I made my way back to the hotel, obtained my (electronic) room key, and made my way to my 4th floor room.

Much to my surprise i Had been allocated a newly refurbished double room, with a very large double bed and balcony the view across to Algeciras and the Atlas Mountains of North Africa is to die for!

The room was refurbished to a high standard with quiet and efficient air conditioning, smart bathroom and comfortable bed. The mini-bar was switched on but had yet to be filled: I understand the management are waiting for all the room refurbishment to be completed before stocking them. However I was able to use it to store shop brought drinks.

During the course of my stay I received a letter from the management stating that the newly installed shower would be replaced shortly with new fully enclosed shower cubicles as opposed to the open style currently fitted.

Breakfast is of the buffet style, which i prefer with the addition of ‘cooked to order’ eggs, the restaurant staff, mostly male and of a certain mature age were very polite, amiable and proffesional - and the atmosphere very relaxing.

As I stated above my intention was to spend much time relaxing in and around the pool area. The pool is of a nice size and kept scrupulously clean on a daily basis, similar for the changing and toilet facilities.

In addition to the many umbrellas the trees provide much shelter from the hot sun; The Pool area backs onto the Almerida Botanical Gardens.

During my stay I encountered three young pool attendants, Angelina, Marcos and one other young man whose name I cannot recall - indeed if any of the names are incorrect my apologies to those concerned.

For the majority of my stay young Marcos and his young male colleague were on duty, they were very attentive, polite and professional serving drinks and food and keeping the area tidy and safe.

So, to sum up the good bits!

The hotel and pool exceeded my expectations to the extent that I look forward to re-visiting ‘The Rock’ once the refurbishment is complete - a very fine hotel that is getting better.

My only ‘gripe’ was the daily arrival of what I term Gibraltar’s answer to “The Stepford Wives” and 1 ‘house husband’!

At about 3PM every day they glide into the pool area, pushing their very young off-spring in their designer “McClaren” baby buggies and then proceed to unpack their numerous pieces of hand baggage and spread-out to occupy as much space and as many sun loungers is possible.

Some of the young children are then made ready for the pool and given swimming lessons by a very loud vociferous male ex-pat!

The peace and quiet that the many mainly middle aged hotel guests had enjoyed is spoilt for the remainder of the day! During my entire stay I did not encounter any guests with children of any age with the exception of 2 middle aged couples accompanied by their respective late 20s son and daughter who were there to get married in a short ceremony in the Almerida Gardens!

On one occasion I observed the child of the ‘house husband’ defecating freely near the wooden decking area, the father then proceeded to wipe up the mess with a hotel towel which he later placed in the towel bin - not very hygienic.

I can understand, that to the Rocks management the ‘Club’ that I understand allows locals to use the pool is another revenue stream but given that the majority of the hotel guests are middle aged plus, I doubt it does the hotels reputation to well.

Is the pool for ‘Club’ members where hotel guests can use the facility; or a hotel pool that ‘Club’ members can use at management discretion?

Not withstanding my comments above, the arrival of the ’Stepford’ women leads to over familiarity between them and the young pool staff which leads to a deterioration in the otherwise excellent service to hotel guests.

Thankfully for me at least the pool was quiet and tranquil for the majority of the day, other guests seemed to either have a lie in or go sightseeing during the early part of the day and return just as the 3PM ’Stepford’ rush began.

I have no doubt that once the refurbishment is complete, management will want to obtain 5 Star grading, and deservedly so, but I would suggest that the ‘Stepford Wives’ daily incursion needs to be addressed before that grading is awarded.

As previously stated I intend to return to the Rock, its a great hotel and has the potential to surpass anything else on Gibraltar.

Ian Handley-Wyborn Room 424, 7th-12th July 2014

Room Tip: All the rooms share the same magnificent views, but those on the 3rd and 4th floor are unsurpassable...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Location
5 Thank IanHandey
CharlesDanino, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear IanHandleywyborn,
Many thanks for your extensive review. Your kind comments regarding the hotel, new rooms and service at the pool fills us with great pride. Thank you for your recommendation for the 5 Stars. The Rock Hotel has had a local pool membership for many years. For the past two years we have added more variety to the pool bar menu and improved the facilities as much as possible. The Rock Hotel Swimming Pool is undoubtedly the most coveted location in Gibraltar and our aim is to keep it exclusive and well managed. We show respect to all residents and members alike and only intervene, if necessary, if there is an issue, which fortunately is very infrequent.
I look forward welcoming you back soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We love the Rock. We have been going there since 1999.
We didn't like night 1 in an old room but because the aircon didn't work.
Next day we were moved to a new room on the 4th floor which was almost finished but lacked a phone and internet access.
ALL THAT SAID - WE STILL LOVE THE ROCK!!
We had a great time and totally unwound. The staff were wonderful and even a Gib wide power cut was an adventure not a disaster.
5 stars will be awarded when the renovations and any resultant hiccups are sorted and we will be back there later this year and in June next.

Room Tip: Ensure your travel agent books you a new room. This shouldn't be a problem soon as the the ren...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear PaulKD44,
Thank you so much for your review and, may I add, for your continued loyalty to The Rock since 1999 ! I am glad you enjoyed the new room. Please contact me next time as it will be a pleasure to meet you persoanlly.
Charles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
AC Hotel La Linea by Marriott
#1 of 6 in La Linea de la Concepcion
4.0 of 5 stars 486 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!