“Lived up to my expectations.” 5 of 5 stars

Rock Hotel Gibraltar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Europa Road, Gibraltar n/a   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Gibraltar
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Lived up to my expectations.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed one night at The Rock on my way back to England and there is no doubt in my mind that I shall return, possibly during the spring or summer months. Mr Danino, the manager, did so much to make us comfortable in a small suite on the third floor. Our rooms were beautifully furnished and squeaky clean, the sheets and blankets were as one should expect them to be, there was a fridge in the sitting area with a tray on which was a large kettle and a cafetiere complete with freshly ground coffee. We had supper in the downstairs bar which is replete with interesting black and white photographs from the past featuring the Queen, warships, aircraft and famous people. The breakfast was first-rate with full English breakfast if you wanted it, cold meats, cheese, yogourt, cereal, fruits and juices. The staff were courteous. The lounge area overlooks the harbour and there are pleasant gardens and a terrace. My only disappointment was that I was not lucky enough to see the apes! The Rock will soon undergo renovations and I am hoping that the colonial style will be kept throughout.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Maeve,
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so glad we succeeded in providing you with the service and positive experience that the Rock Hotel strives to offer. I have intentionally not mentioned the refurbishment in my responses as I want to leave that to the appropriate time and not make promises about timings yet. However, I can assure you that the colonial charm with the art decor touch will remain.

989 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Sometimes personality makes up for a few shortcomings, and that's how I feel about The Rock. It's a little faded, a touch shabby in places, fallen from a graceful and glamorous past, but I loved it anyway. Yes, the WiFi doesn't work in most of the rooms, my TV didn't work, and there is definitely a need for updating and refurbishment throughout, but it has a charm and individuality that makes me glad to have stayed there.

On the plus side, the staff were charming and helpful and the views are to die for.

If someone were prepared to spend a lot of money, this could be one of the great luxury hotels of the world - but, to be honest, I was enchanted by its genteel delights.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear redwinter,
Thank you for capturing and expressing the true spirit of The Rock Hotel's charm and singularity. Having said this we will before not too long bring back the "grand old lady" (1932) to a new era of glory.
Surrey, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to The Rock Hotel. Once again we found all the staff very friendly and efficient. The hotel in general and our room was kept very clean and the breakfast was very good. The views are excellent all round. As mentioned in previous reviews, the hotel badly needs a refurbishment. This was on the agenda 2 years ago when we last visited and it would be nice to know that these works are going ahead and then The Rock will be a wonderful hotel once again.

Room Tip: Ensure a room with a balcony is booked.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SandUK,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that your enjoyed your stay and that the service received was as you expected.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Arboleas, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Just got back from Gibraltar, had a wonderful weekend the Hotel is looking a little tired, but is made up for by the really friendly Staff, although it is a shame that the sherry and whisky decanters are no longer in the room when one arrives, also the Hotel restaurant no longer supply's Olives and appetizers as they used to, these small but important touches make all the difference to ones stay. The Hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment will still go back in the New Year and hope that these things have been remedied.

Room Tip: I would ask for either 2nd or 3rd floors, as these seem to be in better condition than on the first...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Christine B,
Many thanks for your review. I really appreciate the kind words that you have expressed toward out staff as they are so genuinely caring and friendly. The decanters and sherry were offered some time ago but we still offer a glass upon arrival. I apologise if you were not offered the olives and appetisers because this special touch is still being offered at our restaurant. I have made a note of your comment in my agenda to make up to this oversight in a dutiful manner when upon your next visit. Please contact me directly in due course.
kidsgrove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Had a great seven night break here in November.Very comfortable and all the hotel staff were most helpful.It is a little dated but clean and comfortable and the food was very good.Have been before and will be back again,hopefully.

Room Tip: All rooms face West,those with balconies get lots of sun from midday.New a/c units are whisper quiet...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
wilts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have stayed here several times before and if it wasn't for the magnificent views -all seaview and the friendly and accommodating staff we probably would have to be quite critical of its appeal. The décor is in dire need of a facelift, we had problems with the plumbing - no hot water- the first bar meal we had was mediocre - it was only a burger but the salad was dire - soggy lettuce two skinny slices of cucumber and few scraps of tomato with a tasty burger not cooked to our request - not asked for The public areas were shabby with tired settees and worn out chairs. The room, however was clean and the bathroom and loo spacious and clean but we had no hot water so after two days were kindly moved to a better room where we did have hot water but no balcony. However the new room had its own problems - I,e, the door opened without a key ! - maintenance sorted out the problem but when I tried to exit the room the door knob came away in my hand. There was no information in the room regarding internal phone numbers or how to contact reception - I had to resort to using my mobile! We gave the dining room a miss in the evening - the menu looked fussy and expensive but the breakfasts were very good with plenty of choice. I think it is hard to justify its 4star status now but it has a charisma of its own and was could be a wonderful location with a bit of refurbishment. I hope it gets it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Faversham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed at The Rock Hotel for three nights and enjoyed our time there. It is true that the Hotel is probably living on it's majestic past but even though the Hotel is looking a bit tired it is still an exceptional place to stay. The view and the staff are both great and the Art Deco facade to the Hotel is amazing. We would definitely stay there again.

Doug
Faversham GB

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!