“Living in the past” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Living in the past”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Where to start - staff friendly enough, but nothing special. Others have intimated that if you want a modern hotel then go there - agreed. What if you want a hotel that has decent water pressure, corridor paintwork that looks as if something has been done in the last decade, a place without old crittal windows, with double glazing, with a bath without chips out of the enamel or black marks around the bath, with sealant marks removed from the toilet where the lid has been changed, suppose you would like to watch TV in a modern format instead of 4:3. How about furniture without chips or torn arm covers, wardrobe fascia that has been broken off and no attempt to repair or extremely thin carpets (towels to match).
There are windows in the lounge of which some are double glazed others not ,yet side by side or one held in place by a length of wood. With regards wifi this is not available throughout the hotel as you might have believed.
The view is lovely across the old naval shipyard to the industrial harbour. The terrace is great to enjoy an evening drink, but there is only one lager or beer on tap, but would have benefitted from someone with green fingers. Never mind the pool area across the road was in stark contrast after renovation. The old pictures in the bar area are wonderful of days gone by and provided much interest - many involving the military in WW2 and previous military history, which so much of the place revolves around, including Gibraltar itself.
Well you decide what you want - for me I had read the other comments and expected a degree of former glory. However this was extremely faded glory, but if that is what you want you will find it here - from the crumbing concrete exterior near roof level to much efflorescence to the plasterwork in lounge area.
Best you decide what suits you by going and having a look.
For me keep the best of the past but at least renovate walls, paintwork, plumbing and windows - at least make it look as if was something special and worth preserving.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Voyageur5956,
I am very sorry that the hotel did not live up to your expectations. No matter how many good or negative reviews we receive, when a customer expresses disappointment we take this very seriously, and your contribution is highly valued. The issues you have mentioned are being addressed, as our objective is to provide the best product and service possible and to enhance the iconic image of The Rock Hotel.
Charles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Pontedera, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My worst hole experience so far. They have messed up my reservation, I got here late, they said it was not their problem, and left me (after insisting) sleeping a couple of hours on a sofa.
After that, they refused to give me breakfast.
A nightmare.
Apart from that, noisy, oldish, not up to its rating and starring.
Better go elsewhere, for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear pcav_11,
Please accept this note as an apology for the incident that you have described which certainly is an isolated one and definitely not in line with the way we treat our guests. Apparently there was some confusion with the confirmation of your booking, however, we should have provided you with an adequate and satisfactory solution.
Most sincerely,
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights, for 3 days before our wedding and the wedding night. We also had our wedding breakfast on the Terrace for 11 guests, which the Hotel kindly provided at very short notice. Our room had a large balcony with table and 2 chairs, but only 1 sunbed. The bed was emormous! (Could have got 4 people in it!!!) The bathroom was adequate. Tea and coffee provision and fruit in the room with a cafetiere which was a nice change to instant coffee. The Hotel is a bit dated, but I liked it ~ reminiscent of days gone by, and judging by the Guest book, some very famous people have stayed at the Hotel. The view from our room was lovely with main land Spain ahead of us and Morocco to the left. The pool (salt water) area is very nice, although we were a bit naffed off that our wedding guests were told they would have to pay £15:00 to sit on a sunbed (even though there were about 20 available); however there was adequate seating at tables available.
The breakfast, which we only ate on one day, was lovely and varied (with all the usual hot and cold food that one would expect). My friend and I had our hair done at the hairdressers attached to the Hotel and that was reasonably priced and very good (thank you Sebastian!).
One of the waiters in the bar was lovely (didn't get his name), and was due to have a hernia operation the next day, so hoping it went well for him, he makes a wicked Bloody Mary!!
My (new) husband and I loved it there and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RACHELINHULL,
I really appreciate the lovely review. I am also very pleased that we contributed in no small way to make your very special occasion memorable. The waiter's operation went very well (thanks for being so thoughful) and he will be back to work at his famous Bloody Mary's next week !
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Rock Hotel !
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at the Rock Hotel for 1 night on our way back to the UK. The staff were very friendly and our luggage was taken straight to our room on arrival. The hotel has a lot of history and great views of the Spanish mainland. The hotel rooms definitely need updating internally and a lick of paint on the exterior; however, for 1 night it was fine and the breakfast was very good. Generally the hotels in Gibraltar are quite expensive and the Rock is no exception. I can imagine this hotel was fabulous at its peak and could be again with a bit of care and attention.

Dear SazzleManchester,
Many thanks for your review. I am very glad that your enjoyed your short stay with us. We take your comments on board and our future plans will surely address the issues you have mentioned.
I hope you will consider The Rock Hotel on occasion of your next visit to Gibraltar.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Having read the reviews on the rock hotel before my stay, I was a little worried it would dampen my spirits when I stayed there.
However I need not have worried,I arrived to a very clean reception, and had my cases taken straight to my room.
My room was equally pleasant and clean, nothing like some of the reviews on here.
Also has a very clean and pleasant poolside area, I just wish we had had more sunshine, I would have used it more.
All of the staff were very pleasant and accomodating,and compliments to the chef as the breakfasts were brilliant, everything you could ask for to suit all needs.I would like to thank the manager and staff,and I am already planning to return :)
Best wishes
Paul and Diane Gateley

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Paul and Diane,
Thank you for taking time to write your review. It is highly appreciated, as these comments confirm the importance our guests place on attention to service and urge us to keep our focus on these aspects of our work.
I look forward to meeting you during your next visit.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We visited the Rock hotel a year ago and though by now the refurbishment had been started or done I did find out before we went that it had been delayed but we like the hotel very much as the staff are great most of them anyway and a special mention to Ghazi.very nice man.
Please refurb the corridors and rooms quickly as they are letting the hotel down but we still enjoyed our two day break and the ape with a baby on its back pinching crisps from our table but it is their rock and they can do as they want.
Great time great hotel great staff very good position.

Regards
Dave

Room Tip: I think most rooms face the most fantastic views ever.
Dear DavidBurgess404,
Many thanks for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and it fills us with pride to obtain feedback such as your that highlights the good level of service you experienced. Our refurbishment plans are very much top of our priorities and we hope to be able to announce them in the very near future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just arrived home after 7 nights at the Rock Hotel. Ok let's firstly deal with the common theme of reviews on this hotel, yes there is an amount of wear and tear to be found but is generally limited to the odd crack in the plaster or stain on the carpet (no worse than I have found in some Hilton hotels I have stayed in) the place is however fundamentally clean and tidy. The hotel has an incredible atmosphere about it, you sometimes feel that in stepping into the hotel, you are stepping into a different decade (and I mean this most complimentarily). This is (I imagine) how hotels would have been in the 1960's, elegant, classy and not a sheet of Formica to be seen.

The Staff are very friendly and helpful and room cleaning was completed promptly and without disturbance. The only slight criticisms would be the broadband signal in the room (you could get great connection speeds but strangely only if you sat on the toilet, could not get any signal anywhere else in the room) Also the choice of quality Tv channels in our room (231) was limited. We had around 8 channels but did not have a full compliment of prime UK channels (although we did have Sky Sports), the brochure we were given on arrival suggested we should have had more. Neither of these problems however really detracted from the overall impression of the hotel.

What truly makes this hotel special (and one to which we are sure to return) is the stunning views of the Harbour, Spain and Africa from the Balcony. The visiting apes on the balcony are adorable and a true asset to the hotel.

I fear that if the management were to spend great amounts refurbishing the hotel it could detract from what makes it so special, it would also most likely take it out of the price range of most of the people staying there. Be careful what you wish for.

A great hotel that I will certainely be returning to.

Dear David C,
My apologies for not acknowledging your very kind review sooner. We certainly appreciate the kind and thoughtful comments that you expressed. We will be making certain upgrades to connectivity related issues that will sort out the problems you experienced with the broadband and TV signals.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rock Hotel.

Charles

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!