“Pleasant stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Gibraltar
Manchester
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at the Rock Hotel for 1 night on our way back to the UK. The staff were very friendly and our luggage was taken straight to our room on arrival. The hotel has a lot of history and great views of the Spanish mainland. The hotel rooms definitely need updating internally and a lick of paint on the exterior; however, for 1 night it was fine and the breakfast was very good. Generally the hotels in Gibraltar are quite expensive and the Rock is no exception. I can imagine this hotel was fabulous at its peak and could be again with a bit of care and attention.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear SazzleManchester,
Many thanks for your review. I am very glad that your enjoyed your short stay with us. We take your comments on board and our future plans will surely address the issues you have mentioned.
I hope you will consider The Rock Hotel on occasion of your next visit to Gibraltar.

912 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Having read the reviews on the rock hotel before my stay, I was a little worried it would dampen my spirits when I stayed there.
However I need not have worried,I arrived to a very clean reception, and had my cases taken straight to my room.
My room was equally pleasant and clean, nothing like some of the reviews on here.
Also has a very clean and pleasant poolside area, I just wish we had had more sunshine, I would have used it more.
All of the staff were very pleasant and accomodating,and compliments to the chef as the breakfasts were brilliant, everything you could ask for to suit all needs.I would like to thank the manager and staff,and I am already planning to return :)
Best wishes
Paul and Diane Gateley

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Paul and Diane,
Thank you for taking time to write your review. It is highly appreciated, as these comments confirm the importance our guests place on attention to service and urge us to keep our focus on these aspects of our work.
I look forward to meeting you during your next visit.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We visited the Rock hotel a year ago and though by now the refurbishment had been started or done I did find out before we went that it had been delayed but we like the hotel very much as the staff are great most of them anyway and a special mention to Ghazi.very nice man.
Please refurb the corridors and rooms quickly as they are letting the hotel down but we still enjoyed our two day break and the ape with a baby on its back pinching crisps from our table but it is their rock and they can do as they want.
Great time great hotel great staff very good position.

Regards
Dave

Room Tip: I think most rooms face the most fantastic views ever.
Dear DavidBurgess404,
Many thanks for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and it fills us with pride to obtain feedback such as your that highlights the good level of service you experienced. Our refurbishment plans are very much top of our priorities and we hope to be able to announce them in the very near future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just arrived home after 7 nights at the Rock Hotel. Ok let's firstly deal with the common theme of reviews on this hotel, yes there is an amount of wear and tear to be found but is generally limited to the odd crack in the plaster or stain on the carpet (no worse than I have found in some Hilton hotels I have stayed in) the place is however fundamentally clean and tidy. The hotel has an incredible atmosphere about it, you sometimes feel that in stepping into the hotel, you are stepping into a different decade (and I mean this most complimentarily). This is (I imagine) how hotels would have been in the 1960's, elegant, classy and not a sheet of Formica to be seen.

The Staff are very friendly and helpful and room cleaning was completed promptly and without disturbance. The only slight criticisms would be the broadband signal in the room (you could get great connection speeds but strangely only if you sat on the toilet, could not get any signal anywhere else in the room) Also the choice of quality Tv channels in our room (231) was limited. We had around 8 channels but did not have a full compliment of prime UK channels (although we did have Sky Sports), the brochure we were given on arrival suggested we should have had more. Neither of these problems however really detracted from the overall impression of the hotel.

What truly makes this hotel special (and one to which we are sure to return) is the stunning views of the Harbour, Spain and Africa from the Balcony. The visiting apes on the balcony are adorable and a true asset to the hotel.

I fear that if the management were to spend great amounts refurbishing the hotel it could detract from what makes it so special, it would also most likely take it out of the price range of most of the people staying there. Be careful what you wish for.

A great hotel that I will certainely be returning to.

Dear David C,
My apologies for not acknowledging your very kind review sooner. We certainly appreciate the kind and thoughtful comments that you expressed. We will be making certain upgrades to connectivity related issues that will sort out the problems you experienced with the broadband and TV signals.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rock Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Dear Charles
I would like to thank all of the staff at the Rock Hotel for making my wife Lynne enjoy a perfect birthday celebration in the poolside dining area on 22Sep13 and for making it possible, against all the odds of time and lack of notice, to present a very special birthday cake out of thin air!!!
We always enjoy coming to stay at the Rock and would be happy to share our positive experiences on your website review pages.
Our very best wishes
Lynne and Richard Wiggins
Room 215. 21Sep-25Sep

Room Tip: The hotel will be undergoing planned renovation over 2013/4 period, so room types and decor will be...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Richard & Lynne,
My most sincere apologies for not having replied quicker to your very kind and thoughful note. Staying in any hotel is mostly a matter of living special experiences, whether it is for business or leisure. Orchestrating special moments like Lynne's birthday is what our job is all about. I am so glad that we made you happy.
Look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Having tried all hotels in Gibraltar, this has got to be the worst.

Rooms are so dirty, my chest closes up at night as I can't breathe from the dust. The passage way carpets are so stained you can't see the colour in them anymore. Paint is chipping off all the walls.

THERE IS NO WIFI IN THE ROOMS, and not even cable so Internet is non-existent.

Ordered a chicken Thai green curry from the hotel restuarant, and I could see and taste it was a cheap frozen meal that had been microwaved.

It's really far from the beach, or the city. So walking takes like 30 minutes. It's on the side of the rock, so really a steep climb back.

Maybe I'm just having a bad trip, but unfortunately this is the worst place I've stayed at yet.

• Stayed September 2013
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear thinchef,
First of all please accept my apologies for not having lived up to your expectations during your stay. I will follow up on the issues you have mentioned with the respective departments and look forward to hearing from you with the information I have requested. I am also sorry to hear that you may have ventured to the seaside without knowing the walking distance entailed. Our staff should have explained this to you and recommended our swimming pool which is immersed in beautiful gardens. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.
Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I first stayed at The Rock Hotel in 1970, as a child, and remember it as exciting and glamorous.

The Art Deco building could be beautiful, and its location is superb, looking out on the liner terminal. But the outside of the building clearly needs a lot of upkeep and, with peeling paint on the exterior, the 1930s icon is not looking its best.

The marble foyer and stairs up to the mezanine reception are a promising welcome. The public areas on this floor are OK, the bar is fine and the service adequate, the terrace cool and inviting.

My room was basic, no better furnished than a Travelodge. The carpet was threadbare in places and, sitting in the bath, it was plain to see the basin coming away from the wall. But, the room was clean, the bathroom newly-tiled, and I did have an excellent night's sleep in the large bed.

Using the stairs rather than the lift in the morning, it's plain to see how much work is needed: peeling paint, marked walls, old and ill-fitting doors.

Staff were generally pleasant and helpful.

With its history and location this could be a classic hotel, but it really does need a lot of cash spent on it to bring it up to modern standards of decor, inside and out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valiant2,
Thank you for your very detalied and constructive review. The great potential you mention in terms of this iconic building with its unparralled location is doubtless and we hope that it will soon come to fruition. Needless to say, we strive each day to provide the best in terms of customer service and I am glad that your stay was pleasant.
Charles

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!