“Will try my best to never come back” 2 of 5 stars

Rock Hotel Gibraltar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Europa Road, Gibraltar   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
London, United Kingdom
“Will try my best to never come back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Having tried all hotels in Gibraltar, this has got to be the worst.

Rooms are so dirty, my chest closes up at night as I can't breathe from the dust. The passage way carpets are so stained you can't see the colour in them anymore. Paint is chipping off all the walls.

THERE IS NO WIFI IN THE ROOMS, and not even cable so Internet is non-existent.

Ordered a chicken Thai green curry from the hotel restuarant, and I could see and taste it was a cheap frozen meal that had been microwaved.

It's really far from the beach, or the city. So walking takes like 30 minutes. It's on the side of the rock, so really a steep climb back.

Maybe I'm just having a bad trip, but unfortunately this is the worst place I've stayed at yet.

• Stayed September 2013
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear thinchef,
First of all please accept my apologies for not having lived up to your expectations during your stay. I will follow up on the issues you have mentioned with the respective departments and look forward to hearing from you with the information I have requested. I am also sorry to hear that you may have ventured to the seaside without knowing the walking distance entailed. Our staff should have explained this to you and recommended our swimming pool which is immersed in beautiful gardens. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.
Charles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I first stayed at The Rock Hotel in 1970, as a child, and remember it as exciting and glamorous.

The Art Deco building could be beautiful, and its location is superb, looking out on the liner terminal. But the outside of the building clearly needs a lot of upkeep and, with peeling paint on the exterior, the 1930s icon is not looking its best.

The marble foyer and stairs up to the mezanine reception are a promising welcome. The public areas on this floor are OK, the bar is fine and the service adequate, the terrace cool and inviting.

My room was basic, no better furnished than a Travelodge. The carpet was threadbare in places and, sitting in the bath, it was plain to see the basin coming away from the wall. But, the room was clean, the bathroom newly-tiled, and I did have an excellent night's sleep in the large bed.

Using the stairs rather than the lift in the morning, it's plain to see how much work is needed: peeling paint, marked walls, old and ill-fitting doors.

Staff were generally pleasant and helpful.

With its history and location this could be a classic hotel, but it really does need a lot of cash spent on it to bring it up to modern standards of decor, inside and out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Valiant2,
Thank you for your very detalied and constructive review. The great potential you mention in terms of this iconic building with its unparralled location is doubtless and we hope that it will soon come to fruition. Needless to say, we strive each day to provide the best in terms of customer service and I am glad that your stay was pleasant.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

just came back from a long weekend at the rock hotel , they seem to have started decorating but very slow,
i last visited the hotel in 2011 and they said the work was starting that winter that was 2 years ago .
the staff at the hotel are very good. sometimes very slow in the bar which you have to chase up for food orders which can take an hour . bedrooms clean but dated bathrooms very tried paint falling of the doors and smell of damp . ( put this down to the fact that they all back on to one another.
aircon did not work in our room which was not nice as there is no other way of cooling the room down at night. wifi only works in reception lost signal when you enter the outside bar area.
the views from this hotel are the best ,
not enough tourist info around the hotel for the first time visitor , i use to live in gib so know my way around ,

Room Tip: the higher up the the better the view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lesley w,
We really value your comments as it is thanks to this feedback that we are able to monitor our facilties and operation. I am glad that our staff served you well despite some waiting in the bar. We have addressed this issue and have taken measures to reinforce the service as we are well aware of the still growing popularity of the bar and Wisteria Terrace.
We hope to welcome you back soon to The Rock !
Cox, spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel enjoys good views over the strait of Gibralter. All rooms have a balcony. The hotels atmosphere gives a feeling of early 20th century. The staff make your stay welcoming and pleasant. The rooms are now a little tired but never the less clean and comfortable. The restaurant has excellent wines and a good menu. Breakfast is well worth taking. The bar and outside terrace are very nice but the apes can be a pest. Walking distance to everywhere and a bus service across the road to all parts of Gibralter. A great place to relax for 2 or 3 nights.

Room Tip: All are ok
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear David D,
Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your short stay with us and the genuine Colonial charm of The Rock Hotel and appreciate your mention of the good service our staff provided.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The views are the best thing I can say about the Rock Hotel. We had planned to stay two nights, but left after one. When we arrived, we misread our key, went to the wrong room, our key worked, and we walked in on someone. We then went to our room and the key worked again. There was no security lock or chain so we wound up wedging a chair under the doorknob. The room - and the hotel - felt old, but the bed was comfortable. The foot in the bar was actually quite good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear prhnjd,

Firstly I would lke to thank you again for providing me with the additional information I requested. This was very useful as it helped us identify the problem and fix it. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Rock Hotel in he near future.

Totnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I wouldn't be complaining about the Taj Mahal having a little faded paintwork, and I wouldn't complain about The Rock Hotel on the same basis. The entrance to the place is fabulous in marble, the after meal balcony scene is just great, and we spent every night sipping vino until long after everybody else had called it a night. The staff were as helpful as anybody else who is getting paid for it, and the rooms were just dandy. The air con is brilliant and quiet enough to leave on the low setting. I slept like a log in the huge bed. The food was adequate for British tastes, I don't know about you, but it's hard to find really good food anywhere apart from France. Breakfast was a feast if you're that hungry, having everything you could wish for. Having treated ourselves to a cable car trip, and explored the whole of the rock, including the breathtaking staircase down, in the burning heat of the day, our good freind Aziz in the bar came to our assistance with an "Ice Cold in Alex" moment, providing two nicely chilled pints of Fosters just in time.. We were there on business, but made the most of the opportunities. I don't care if they throw money at the place or not, the views and the location are a dream, and I'd definitely go again.

Room Tip: Go to the top floor and just marvel at what's in front of you. The monkeys like biscuits, prefer...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Alan J,
Being compared to the Taj Mahal for our iconic qualities is something that we could never have imagined would never happen, I would like to thank you as it is a very gracious thing to say. I think that you have captured the essence and ambience of the Rock Hotel so well.
Looking forward to your return.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just spent five nights at the Rock Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed them. I was delighted at my room - biggest balcony I have ever had - and the views over the Bay which were just stunning! Yes, the hotel has a forthcoming refurbishment, so some areas need a little tlc but my room was spotless, as was the bathroom - and the ducks were an amusing touch. The pool area was great - it's a sea water pool so can be a bit chilly at times - but the staff there were incredibly friendly and the food great. I do hope the forthcoming works don't change the hotel too much - and please keep the furry apes on the keys - if we wanted an anonymous chain hotel, we would stay elsewhere! Staying at the Rock hotel means you get a piece of history - the photos in the Barbary bar tell their own story and I loved having the real apes visit every morning and evening, and hope they will still be there when I return next time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
CharlesDanino, Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Susan B,
Thank you for your review. You are quite right in higlighting the historic legacy of The Rock Hotel. This is the very reason why we strive hard to uphold its tradition of good and caring service for all our guests.
Charles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
AC Hotel La Linea by Marriott
#1 of 7 in La Linea de la Concepcion
4.0 of 5 stars 405 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!