“Rock hotel. Great location and service but can definitely use an upgrade” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rock Hotel Gibraltar

Save Saved
You added Rock Hotel Gibraltar to your Saves list
Rock Hotel Gibraltar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Europa Road, Gibraltar n/a   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Gibraltar
Toronto
“Rock hotel. Great location and service but can definitely use an upgrade”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

First of all Gibraltar is an experience in itself. Very interesting town and quite a bit to see and do. Almost feels like a town from a bygone era with some modern flavours. This includes aspects that are typically British to waterfront condos and a marina that smells of people with mega bucks. Now to the Rock hotel. Location is heading up from the center of the city across from the botanical garden. I stayed there 2 nights but got to get a good feel for the place. Service was good and reception area and common rooms were nice. Room was small and quite dated. It would have been a nice room 50 years ago. I read there is a plan to upgrade the hotel. Definitely a must. It has its charm but lacks much of the amenities of a modern hotel. Breakfast was buffet style and the food options were decent. Food was fresh which is a plus. I don't know how the other hotels fare but this one is a decent choice for the location and if wanting to step back in time. Final comment. View from front of hotel is nice. Oversees the city and port.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Stephen D, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear ivoyageur, Thank you for your review. First of all, the upgrade to which you refer is imminent and the outcome will be superb. I was glad to read that you thought that our service levels were good and of course our location is a great asset with, we think, the best views in town. Your comments about Gibraltar as a destination are most welcome - there is indeed "much to see and do". Thank you once more.

958 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have just stayed at this hotel with friends for a few days.
I have to say the hotel is badly in need of some TLC, flaking paint on the outside, very old fashioned rooms. Having said that, it is a very historic hotel, the majority of staff seem to be elderly, but very friendly and helpful.
Restaurant food and breakfast was good, but the bar snack food was poor, and had to be sent back, as it was twice not cooked.
The one down side was the walk back to the hotel, up a very steep drive, so we had to get a cab back, but having said that the views from the hotel are amazing.
I would definately go back, but keep your balcony door shut, as a few rooms were invaded by monkeys.

Room Tip: All rooms have a lovely view, if you choose the higher floors there is no Wi Fi.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Stephen D, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear AbbieKent, Thank you for taking the time to contribute. I was glad to read that you enjoyed our breakfasr and our restaurant food but naturally disappointed to read that there was a problem with your bar meal. Please accept my apologies. This will be discussed at an operations meeting and we will try to pinpoint exactly what went wrong. I was pleased that despite this rare mishap you would return. Thank you once more.
Tavira
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

On arrival at the hotel you cannot fail to be impressed. The outlook is superb, the reception area palatial and the staff are friendly and welcoming.
My room however was a different matter. The bed was very hard, the aircon unit dripped water all over the (ancient) tv and surrounding furniture and the general upkeep and maintenance was very poor. Oh, and please, someone buy a new shower head.
Breakfast was not included in my room rate so had to be purchased. I think £17.50 is FAR too much to charge. The bacon was good but the sausages, scrambled eggs (were they really eggs?) and boiled mushrooms were awful. The fruit and pastries looked good but I didn't try any. The tea was also poor. Brits love their tea, let's have a decent one please.
I am going back to The Rock as, notwithstanding the above, I like it there. I just hope they start and get on with the renovations that are so needed - otherwise they will lose the excellent reputation that they have.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear allanhog, Thank you for your review. As is the nature of this site and the pseudonyms used as identification it is not always easy to drill down on specifics such as stay date and room number when answering a specific critique. If you could make me aware I would be grateful. I was pleased to read that you will be back and you in turn will be happy to read that our renovations are still very much a reality although we have had some delays in stating a specific start date. That said, I am sure you will be seriously impressed with what is to come. Thank you.
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a great hotel !

I will not 'labour' the fact that it is looking a bit 'tired' The management know it, the many Trip Advisor reviewers know it so why comment further? A bit of chipped paint in the corridors, and a dated above ground floor décor, is a small price to pay for the outstanding position and service.

I suspect that not all guests make it the pool and bar area (across the road). It is as good as many I have visited around the world....and better than a lot. Superb garden setting with lots of greenery and natural shading.

My only criticism is that if you are not a package, the 'list price' of the breakfast at £15.00 per head is way over the top!!! I do not expect day old pastries, hot food that is cold because the buffet tray burners have been allowed to go out, and a 'go slow' auto toaster. There was no management of the dining room on the day we used it and we cancelled our second days breakfast as my wife and I both felt we could get appreciably better value for thirty quid,...in town!!

Room Tip: I believe ALL beds are Seven Feet in width. That is a lot of bed!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear TimAwmack, Thank you for your review. I appreciate your positive comments and likewise I am happy to take on board your constructive feedback regarding our breakfast operation. I hope that we can improve the breakfast experience accordingly - your comment about 'dining room management' is of particular concern. I was glad to read that in other areas "service" was deemed a contributing factor to your stay. Your comments about our pool area are very encouraging and I would hope that in reading this those that do not venture across will now do so! Thank you once more.
Hampshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I would guess that circa 1970 this was an epic hotel. Unfortunately, the 43 years since then has been less than kind.

The location is reasonable, being a stiff up-hill walk from the main part of town, but nice and local (albeit it - uphill) from the cable-car to the top of the rock. Our room was perfectly acceptable, but not comparable to a modern international hotel. Bit shocked to find that the very mediocre breakfast wasn't included in the room rate - and that it cost £35 for two people ...

Staff all very friendly. Summary : Not bad.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but we did call in for an early aternoon tea. The scones and the tea were excellent. We ate on the terrace. Half way though our light meal, a monkey leapt onto the table and stole my scone as shown. As soon as we reported this to the staff, they suggested that we should go inside and apologised profusely for the event, which was hardly their fault - but does occasionally happen. They replaced our tea and scones absolutely free of charge, continued to be most solicitous of our comfort and were generally very charming. We shall return to try the apple tart which looked wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Christine E, Thank you for your comments. I was glad that our staff reacted quickly and sympathetically to the over enthusiasm of one of Gibraltar's famous Barbary Macaques. I do hope that you will return for that apple tart in due course and perhaps stay overnight with us at the same time! Thank you again.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had a great stay here!
-->the hotel people were really friendly and helpful, lovely environment
-->there was lots of information including maps readily available and they answered any questions we had
-->the views were beautiful of the sea and we even saw monkeys on our balcony (and could see Spain)
-->the food was lovely with a large selection
-->good location- bus stop right outside linking to rest of Gibraltar
-->many things to visit nearby, right next to cable car up to rock and some beautiful gardens
-->nice reception with lounge area, games, cafe and cute shop
-->only complaint is that the AC dripped water on the floor but it worked and it didn't harm our stay

Room Tip: get a room on the front side as good views and balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!