“How can you review this” 5 of 5 stars

Rock Hotel Gibraltar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Europa Road, Gibraltar   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“How can you review this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Well after reading some reviews about the rock hotel I nearly didnt go but after spending two days at the rock hotel i am pleased I went and my other half was delighted.
The hotel is very tired and needs a good furniture update in all rooms and public areas and the outside needs a good painting.
I dont know what it is about the hotel but it seems to make you feel very at home I think if it wasnt for the staff who are very good this hotel would not get a booking there is just something about it that makes you want to go back which we will but might wait until its had a face lift.
A big well done to your staff who are mostly an asett to the hotel apart from the barman in the pool area who might have been on an off day as he looked like his lottery numbers came up but forgot to buy his ticket.
Pool area very good
Abdulla from morrocco is an assett to your hotel and should get a pay rise what a nice man.
If the owner reads this review I can take him to china where he can buy his new furniture.
To anyone who reads this
Old school hotel,very good and worth going seems to get under your skin and makes you very comfortable makes you look back in time to the war.

Room Tip: All rooms are okay as in they are comfotable all sea views best views in gibraltar
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
srevad, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear DavidBurgess404, Thank you for your review. I was so pleased to read that despite our need to refurbish you enjoyed your stay and liked the quirky 'feel' of the hotel. Your comments about our staff (I apologise for the pool barperson) were very welcome and Abdulah (Ghazi as we know him) will be thrilled that he has been singled out for special mention. I do hope that you will return after the refurbishment where we hope to display many of the characteristics you enjoy alongside a massively refreshed fabric and enhanced amenities.. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had three nights at The Rock hotel in early September. I caught a taxi from the airport which cost around 7 Gibraltar pounds and took less than ten minutes to reach the hotel. I arrived about 12.30 but was told the room wouldn’t be available until 2pm so decided as it was a beautiful day to climb the rock.
Upon my return I found my room was a decent size on the second floor facing the harbour which was great. Everything worked well and it was pretty clean. I had breakfast in the hotel which was also very good with a mix of hot and cold dishes, cereals, juices and pastries. My only complaint here was travelling solo I was never offered one of the window tables with views of the harbour. These were clearly only offered to couples or families which I thought was a little unfair. The hotels pool is situated across the road and is great with deck chairs, poolside bar etc
The location is great. It is only a couple of minutes walk back down the hill to the cable car which will take you to the top of The Rock. Alternatively, you can follow the road which runs past the hotel further up and it forks with the left side going to the top via a winding road. Everyone has to pay to enter with pedestrians charged around 50p and cars around 10 pounds from memory. The main street is around ten minutes walk back down the hill. I found it odd that Gibraltar was extremely busy during the day but at night time was very quiet, which has its benefits. I think most visitors come across from Spain, get all their souvenirs and duty free and shoot back across the border late afternoon or early evening. There are a number of very reasonably priced restaurants and pubs to dine at along the main street as well as in the Ocean Village Marina area. I did one of the tours which took a couple of hours and covered the rock pretty well. I certainly recommend visiting St Michaels cave, the look out at the top as well as the various gun emplacements and tunnels which would seem to almost render the rock hollow it would seem! It certainly has a fascinating history.
As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel is in need of a face lift and clearly the pool area and foyer have been renovated. It reminded me a little of the Fawlty Towers tv program in some ways, but only with similarities from that era not the antics although I did have a problem with getting my laundry taken away and then trying to get it back.
Overall it is a great hotel which I enjoyed staying at and would certainly like to visit again. It is almost like a time capsule from another era.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear NX622, Thank you for reviewing us after your stay last month. Your comment about individuals and window tables is noted and we will try to be less 'solo' prejudiced in the future. You will be happy to know that the newly developed hotel will have increased opportunities for window tables and that too should help. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you would contemplate a return visit. Thank you.
Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just returned from my 6th stay in The Rock,the first time with two young children. Check in was fast and the Sherry most welcome. I requested adjoining rooms and they were perfect, end of the corridor with great views. Both rooms were spotless and the bathrooms could not have been cleaner. The chocolates and lolipops were a big hit with the children, as were the ducks in the bath. I have read many reviews on here complaining about the breakfast and the poor service, we were served promptly each morning with coffee following soon after being ordered, although I do agree with many reviewers that many of the staff could smile more. Breakfast for me is fantastic at the Rock, plenty of choice, there are things I did not like but that is my individual taste, especially pleased that soya milk was provided as my son has a milk allergy and this meant he could have cereal rather than the toast he is usually stuck with on holiday. We ate on the Wisteria terrace for lunch one day and despite walking through the door as it opened at noon, no one came to take our order for 15 mins and then the two drinks took another ten mins to arrive despite us being the only people there at the time. The food however was served quickly and was very nice. We enjoyed spending time around the lovely pool as usually when we visit it is closed for the winter. Overall we really enjoyed our firt family stay in the Rock and will definately be back again. I hope the refurbishments dont change things too much as its lovely the way it is, maybe a lick of paint would be enough. Reviewers who complain about the decor etc.., just dont get it. My advice if you want a nice relaxed break with great views in a nice environment stay here. If ultra modern is your thing it wont be for you.

Room Tip: All rooms i have stayed in have lovely views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
srevad, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Castigergirl, Thank you for your review. I apologise for the less than speedy service you received in the bar - this seems to be have been an unforunate negative in what was an otherwise pleasant stay. I am glad that you enjoyed what was your first family stay with us and that you would return. Our refurbishment will be changing the hotel quite a bit (all for the better) but along with this it is our intention to retain much of the 'feel' of the old Rock and the history and heritage we enjoy. Thank you once more.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have stayed here twice before. This time we took the family. A problem we had on our previous visit was dealt with exceptional well by Mr Davenport. It is clear that the building is in need of a makeover, but its not just the building that makes a holiday. Food, service, bar, pool and staff all very good. Can't wait for the refurbishment to be completed. Kids love the place. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Karen H, Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your last stay with us. I do agree that hotels aren't just about bricks and mortar but we do need our up and coming investment and I am sure that when you return after completion you will be wowed by what we have achieved. Thanks again.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just back from the Rock. The hotel advert in the Gibralter Property magazine states 'all rooms have breathtaking views'. When were you last in Room 234 Mr Davenport? Allocated on arrival at the side of the building it is overlooked by decaying trees and a rubbish tip. What is your definition of breathtaking Mr Davenport? Only by being somewhat forceful with an offhand/dismissive receptionist did a seaview room which I had booked become available. Other guests were not so successful.
Dining room service is extremely slow - although dinners are excellent - and served by sullen staff who verge on being rude. The much vaunted million pound refit will not address these issues.
The hotel pool is lovely but when the hotel accept a private function (there were two in our week's stay) we,although as residents, who had paid for the facility were asked to leave in the af
ternoon. Hardly fair Mr Davenport?
The fact this hotel has a 4 star status brings the AA grading system into disrepute.
Left these observations on the hotel questionaire but got no response. Says it all really.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear scotsman186487, I did in fact once reside in room 334, one floor above the room you were initially allocated and whilst it is true that the views from the few rooms we have at the north end of the building do not compare with those that face directly over the bay, some people enjoy the views that show some aspects of the town below as well as the Spanish hinterland. I was glad that reception were able to find a suitable room in due course. Gibraltar, as you know is a small place and venues for some events are naturally in short supply. I apologise that we embraced this concept during your stay and hosted evening events that necessitate an early closure - we do give notice and always endeavour to minimise guest disruption on such occasions and in the main our customers understand our position. If you would contact me via e-mail I would be delighted to engage in further correspondance on other issues you raise. Thank you.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the Rock Hotel for 4 nights, the building itself is in need of a makeover, a bit behind the times, but very comfortable, and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, we had minor issues with our room [ £120.00 per night ] both these were soon resolved by the maintenance staff, Our bed was the biggest bed I have ever seen and very comfortable. The breakfast at £18.00 ahead seemed expensive, but easy to walk to main street where breakfasts were @ £6.00 ahead. conveniently situated for the cable car, and the town centre. we are already planning our return. Gibraltar is a unique experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the Rock, overlook the bay of Gibraltar, and it was fascinating to watch the cruise...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We came here for 'romancing'.

We stayed in the Montgomery suite from 4-11 Aug. and it was fantastic.

The staff were so welcoming, willing and helpful at reception.

The persons at the terrace, restaurant - spot on.

Without a shadow of a doubt, we will recommend and return soon. Enough said.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Montgomery Suite and we loved it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
srevad, General Manager at Rock Hotel Gibraltar, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear jogastar, Thank you for your short, concise and flattering review. I hope that you experienced the 'romancing' that you came for! Your comments about our staff were most welcome and naturally we hope that you do return soon. Thank you once more.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
AC Hotel La Linea by Marriott
#1 of 7 in La Linea de la Concepcion
4.0 of 5 stars 419 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to Rock Hotel Gibraltar? Share your experiences!