“Great for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cannon Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gibraltar
Cannon Hotel
9 Cannon Lane, Gibraltar   |
Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Gibraltar
Holbeach, United Kingdom
“Great for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and have absolutely nothing to complain about. booked a single room but got given a twin (200), room was spacious and clean with a comfy bed, plenty of towels and pillows, right next door to the shower room which was very convienient. Staff always friendly and courteous, ok so it's not the Rock Hotel, but it's not the Rock Hotel prices, if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep whilst exploring Gibraltar this place is perfect. No complaints!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for an overnight stop in gib. The hotel is very basic but the price of other hotels in Gib meant this was the best we could afford. He rooms are basic. Shared bathrooms. Rooms accessed via internal gallery. Free WiFi. Courtyard bar. Full English breakfast. Helpful and friendly staff who helped us find free 24 hour parking - multi-storey just outside the walls by the American memorial. Has government cars on upper levels and has 24 hour security. With hindsight I would have payed more to stay somewhere a bit more upmarket!

Room Tip: Street side rooms are noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm not sure what the other reviewers are moaning about, as this place was exactly what I was expecting when I booked what is probably the cheapest hotel in Gibraltar. Of course it is going to be a bit small and the furnishings will be a bit dated -- if you don't want that, book at a more expensive place. But if you want a place to crash in the evening and a decent Full English breakfast in the morning (which is included), and don't want to spend a lot, then this is your place. The staff was friendly (they were willing to stay late to let me in when my boat from Tangier was delayed) and the location is fantastic (just off main street, and a 20-25 minute walk to the airport). My only complaint was that the workers on the street started at about 7am, which woke me up since I had the window open.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Churchdown, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have to say I have read several dreadful reviews of the Cannon but feel they are unfounded. I lived in Gibraltar for many years so I know how hard it is to find somewhere to stay there that is reasonably priced. This was our second visit and the Cannon proved for a second time to be incredible value when compared with the other hotels there and as we are a family this would be exorbitant in no time for us. The Cannon provides clean, basic rooms, with shared shower rooms. The breakfast is lovely and the staff are unfailingly friendly and helpful. We stayed with our one year old and fourteen year old and on asking whether they had a highchair, they apologised that they didn't...and three hours later they had been to Mothercare and bought a brand new one for us to use throughout our stay. They let us take it into our rooms and always made sure the little one had food and drink he liked available even though he was not being charged for. Ignore all the other reviews if what you are looking for an affordable hotel in the heart of the town area where people are pleased to see you and happy to help you with anything they can. If you can afford a 4 star hotel you must bear in mind the Cannon is not one of those....but for £420 for 8 nights for four of us, I am heralding the Cannon as doing exactly what it said, providing a comfortable and welcoming stay and I would and will return.

Room Tip: Request an outside room/window as this will bring a through-draft in summer when the heat builds up.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Miraflores - SPAIN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here for one night In June with 2 of my friends , we booked online and managed to get a room with 3 single beds . The photographs from the hotel website were nothing like seeing the hotel with our own eyes .
Yes the hotel was cheap but the standards were poor and very average , the hotel could do with a lick of paint and a good clean.
The only saving grace was the receptionist was very polite and helpful , he was the reason why I gave you 1 star.
The breakfast was very very basic with no imagination "what you see is what you get "
The hotel and my room is full of dated tired old furniture ,when looking around the room I found ciggy stumps in the bathroom draw .There are potential safety hazards thru out the hotel .
It's a shame really ,if the management don't change their poor attitudes and read the numerous poor reviews and act on them the next time the hotel is up for a review / audit it will lose it license .
But to do that you have to have pride and CARE about your hotel .........sadly the Cannon hotel has waved its white flag and given up .

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Gibraltar hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The hotel had a not very bad bed, but the showers and rooms were not the cleanest i have ever seen. Also the TV they have in the room is a smaller than small version. Otherwise, for a purse friendly option, this hotel is recomendable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Winchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Believe it or not I went here for a short trip in Gibraltar and was sitting in the bar enjoying my beer watching the world go by and noticed the bar staff was mopping the floor and then mopped the worksurface where they prepare breakfast. Not too impressed with that!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Cannon Hotel? Share your experiences!