“Gibraltar's only beach resort with the best restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sir Herbert Miles Road, PO Box 73, Gibraltar   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Gibraltar's only beach resort with the best restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Following a girlie trip to Barcelona, I then joined my husband in taking a train to Malaga and then driving down to Gibraltar. We stayed 3 glorious nights at the four star Caleta Hotel, located right next to Catalan Bay Beach.

We were allocated the Bridal Suite (!) on the 5th floor - a newly rennovated floor - which boasted 2 sea view balconies and a canopy bed. A fabulous stay at a hotel which boasts probably the best dining in Gibraltar - Nuno's Restaurant. Lunch and dinner here is highly recommended. The service is excellent and of international standard.

A must visit hotel / restaurant for anyone going to Gibraltar.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Napa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We were unable to enter Gibraltar as a courier did not deliver our passports as instructed. We called the hotel as soon as it was apparent that circumstances beyond our control made it impossible for us to enter and we would not be able to use our pre-paid reservation. Repeated calls were not returned by management and a request for some reimbursement for the two prepaid rooms was finally addressed in an email stating that "the greatest majority of hotels around the world enforce a 24 hour cancellation policy which will result to one night accommodation charged in case of no-shows or cancellations after such deadline." Lesson learned. Do not ever pre-pay hotel accommodation. It is always up to the management to interpret such policies and it is clear that the management of the Caleta Hotel was not willing to make any exception even if the circumstances were unique and out of the control of the potential guests.

Room Tip: Never pre-pay
Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We were in Gibraltar for a wedding and over the four days of our stay, various family members had rooms in different parts of the hotel. My wife and I were up on the fourth floor with a sea facing room so lets start there.

It was a reasonable size and the view was terrific, considering we were looking at Gibraltar. The balcony could not be taken seriously, two feet by two feet but the doors and windows were all new. It was good to have a choice between AC or just a ceiling fan. The bathroom was clean although the bath did show signs of age and the water pressure was not always great enough to ensure that the shower stayed on.

My daughters were staying in a room quite a distance from reception and on floor -2. There is no lift servicing this part of the hotel and it was quite an effort to get all the luggage up and down several flights of stairs. Not good.

The pool is filled with salt water but the area is kept clean by a forever present attendant. It was easy to order food and drink while around that area and the sun did not disappear from there till quite late in the afternoon.

Once the bulk of our party had left the hotel, the average age of guests seemed quite high, I doubt whether a disco would be popular there.

Reception was clean and tidy, with very helpful staff. In fact this was true of the whole hotel with the exception of the Breakfast area, where the Maitre De was very aggressive. Continental breakfast was included in the price and represented very good value for money.

Overall I would recommend the hotel if you have to go to Gibraltar but suggest you ask for a room on a floor above the ground floor.

Room Tip: See facing and above the ground floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Caleta palace hotel has a great view, very clean and on the beach ! the only problem here is that you need to remember to close the windows as everynow and again 1 yukky cockroach would come in!! apart from this I recommend it , in the summertime.

one addition to the hotel is that they close the swimming pool way too early!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Desborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

I'm really surprised to read the last reviewer's comments, as the hotel they describe is nothing like the one I have just spent the week in!
I had my wedding at The Caleta this week ... for a party of 12.
All of my guests were happy with their rooms, and all ate and drunk at the hotel at varying times and enjoyed their meals.
We found the hotel quite cosy, and not al all imposing.
We ate at Nuno's after our wedding, and it was fabulous and worth every penny. The previous night we had eaten at an Irish pub in the Ocean Village, and trust me when I say there is no comparison!!!
All of the staff I encountered from Reception, to Bar to Restaurant, to Health Club were polite and helpful ....with a very special mention to Wali, who was very organized and professional and made our wedding arrangements run like clock-work... and to the girls in the Health Club who were very friendly and great at what they do.
Our room was fabulous ... king size bed, great views, his and hers sinks, robes, slippers and toiletries ...if I had to find fault, it would be that the seal needed replacing on the bath, so after a shower, you would find a small pool of water on the floor ... I guess some people would complain about that, but for me a towel to mop up was all that was needed and I'm sure had I made a complaint to the reception staff - it would have been sorted.
Yes there are areas of the terraces that could do with a lick of paint, but this building stands right on the sea front - and exposed to the elements, so I imagine it is quite hard to keep it looking pristine.
It's not in the centre of things, but personally I like that - and there is a free bus that picks up outside about every 20 minutes.
All in all ... I would say this is a great hotel, and if you book through a package like My Gibraltar, you can have an amazing stay for an amazing price.
I will definately be back again .....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bedford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Its big, very big, and clearly rather more interested in grand dances and dinners for which it was clearly intended - people on holiday are inconvenient and low revenue. The public areas are large and open - no cosy cocktail bars or places for quiet get togethers - and always the smell of wafting cigarette smoke.

The core of the hotel is refurbished to a good standard, but explore further and you will find rusting abandonment. Our "luxury" room overlooked a roof and abandoned air conditioner.

The staff are indifferent and not particularly helpful - you have to get quite pushy to gain any positive attention.

The food is average. The kitchen closes when it feels like it - and the breakfast menu is more of a wish list than reality. We tried the Nunos Restaurant which claims two gold cups for excellance - but our local pub serves better food at a quarter of the price - it never seemed to have many customers. There is a better restaurant across the bay called La Mamela - and the owner will happily clear up any misunderstanding about the name

All in all - a great location right on the beach - not really interested in holiday makers
- expensive but acceptable - probably a two or three star rating in the real world.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Service was Shocking staff were not prepared to provide some basic service.
Rooms were Good. They could do with upgrading the Air conditioning.
Deep Swimming pool. Private path to beach but staff refused to open gate.

Food was terrible eat out before going back to the hotel.

Location next to the beach there is also a bus service into the town centre.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Caleta Hotel? Share your experiences!