“Nice Hotel, Friendly Staff, Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Governors Parade, Gibraltar   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Gibraltar
Chester, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel, Friendly Staff, Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I really can’t believe the previous review, was that a joke!! ??? I really think those comments were out of order.

Returned from Gibraltar this week, stayed for 3 nights from Friday 18th to Monday 21st. I treated my two elderly parents to a weekend away. Requested high rooms, sea facing and close together and that's precisely what we got! Rooms 509/5011.
Room was a very good size with a very good size Queen bed, not just 2 single beds pushed together, was a little firm but it’s better than having a bed that feels as though you are touching the floor when in it ! I thought the décor was very nice; bathroom was nice and modern with a good shower. Carpet did have a couple of small stains on it but nothing extreme. The balcony was nice with a great view of Gibraltar Bay. Did have a small AC unit in the room, not the best I admit, but it did provide some cooling, although while we were there it was very humid, so one would expect it to be warm. I did not go to Gib to be cold!
Had no problems with the 2 lifts what so ever, they always worked. Room entry system was a little un-predictable at first, but once I learnt the knack of it, did not have an issue with it, some people just can’t do anything for themselves and need a holding hand for everything it seems!
The staff were very friendly and helpful and polite at all times did not have a problem with them at all.
Breakfast was good, a very good buffet selection which is served on the 8th floor, it has a superb panoramic view! Only criticisms were the scrambled eggs, maybe they were powdered eggs. I think they would benefit from having a chef present to cook Fried eggs, Poached eggs and maybe Omelettes to order at the buffet, rather than having to order them with the waiter and sit and wait for 5 minutes. Did not eat dinner in the hotel, I always prefer to eat out.
There is a slight incline up to the hotel; Gibraltar town is located on the side of a mountain/rock so it’s not really a surprise. It was not too much of a problem for my 75 year old mother so I am sure younger guests can cope with it.
Drinks are a little expensive in the hotel, £3 for a half or lager or bitter is a little extreme I feel, although there is a nice little bar just around the corner, The Cannon Bar, where a pint is £3.
Overall I feel the hotel is very good value for money, needs a little work in places yes, but nothing extreme.
I will be returning to Gibraltar in the future and would not hesitate to stay there again

Room Tip: Sea Facing, high, 6-7 floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ScreamingEagle101
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Screaming Eagle 101,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for all your feedback, which we really appreciate as it helps us to provide a better service to all of our future guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was at most a 2* hotel. Terrible quality rooms, rude staff, just generally a mess! I stayed here with a group of friends for 3 nights and we will definitely not be coming back or recommending this to other travellers.

The check in process was terrible. We arrived at 2:30pm (normal check-in time) and the reception manager told us our room was not ready. We were surprised since 2:30pm was the official check-in time. When we questioned this, he was very blunt and said "Actually, check-in time is from 2:30pm onwards, that does not mean you can check in at 2:30pm" That's it, no apology.

When I finally got access to my room, the key card didn't work and I spent 20mns going up and down with broken key cards, eventually the receptionist had to give me the physical key to the room since the key cards would not work.

The room itself was very 'retro' and not in a good way. The A/C unit was very old fashioned and didn't keep the room cool. The carpet had stains on it and the tiles were cracked.

Also:
- The wifi kept coming and going, I had to get a new code from reception every day...it was like a guessing game to see which code would work!
- The pool area was awful, no towels or sun loungers.
- One of the lifts was out of service for more than 24hrs causing major delays getting up and down to the rooms.

The good:
- Some of the waiters were nice and polite
- Water pressure in the shower was excellent
- Breakfast was OK

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank ciaradoaln
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Ciaradoaln,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I do apologise for the key cards not working for your room, we did have a problem with the card machine. We also had some power cuts across Gibraltar and it left us with some problems with our lift.
We are doing a total refurbishment this year and I am sure your will enjoy the finished product.
We have purchased some more sun loungers for around the pool.
The WI-FI codes are changed each day and I am sorry you were not made aware of this.
I have spoken with my Reception Manager re your check in and I can assure you this is not our normal standard of service.
Ciara, I would like to offer you an upgrade to a suite on your next visit to Gibraltar and to experience our professional service.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

After reading such good reviews on this hotel and looking at the photos both myself and my wife looked forward to spending 6 nights here...How wrong we were..In uk i would rate this at very best a 2 star..rooms look and feel very run down..cracked tiles in bathroom..the pictures of the roof top pool are very misleading as pool is only about 10m if that and with only about 10 loungers thst are reserved by people leaving towels on them leaving nothing to stay in the hotel for...the electronic room cards are a standing joke with everyone we spoke to could spend over 10mins trying to get in yr room. During the 5 power cuts we had in the week we stayed the ONLY way to get from any floors is via a back staircase that has ladders, boxes and lots of other items stacked in it..supposed to be kept clear as a so called fire escape! The wifi is also very hit and miss. There are much better hotels. Also be aware it us not mentioned but if you have mobility problems thus hotel is in an elevated position and you have to walk up some steep roads and paths to get to it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Philljonrs
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Philljonrs,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I do apologise for the power cuts, but it was totally out of our control as it was the whole of Gibraltar and a problem at the generating station.
Also when we have a power cut we cannot programme the door key cards and again I am sorry you had problems with them.
You are correct we do not have enough sun loungers by the pool, and we have now bought some more.
I was shocked at your comment re our emergency stair ways as they are clear at all times.
We are doing a total refurbishment this year and I think you will enjoy the finished product.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to stay with us and I would like to offer you an upgrade to a suite on your return visit.

Wickford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Excellent location for this hotel. Standard of accommodation also befits its rating. Level of service sometimes lets it down, although maybe this is as a result of the more relaxed attitude taken to life in Gibraltar.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Wickford Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Thank you for your comments which we really appreciate.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was recommended this hotel by a friend who stays in Gibraltar regularly, good choice! My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our week here. I tried to e-mail a request for a sea facing room, that didn't appear to have worked, but luckily on asking at reception for a high up sea facing room we got 603, pretty fine it was too. the view is very special and there's lots to see happening out on the water, lots of ships moored, and coming and going. It is a little noisy but real noise like ships horns when it is foggy, not party noise. I liked the hotel, clean and quite smart, the rooms are great, big enough for a week and well serviced on a daily basis. Breakfast is great, huge choice of whatever you could want, and when the weather is nice you can sit by the pool, very lovely. We didn't eat any other meals in the hotel or use the main bar. The pool side bar is good, although it wasn't open every day, prices are, I thought, very reasonable, pool towels are available either at the pool bar or at reception. All of the staff that we came across were friendly and efficient and all were happy to pass the time of day, the pool bar staff were great, happy to bring drinks to the table. The hotel is very well situated, a ten minute stroll to Casemates Square and a little bit further to the cable car, it's just minutes from a big selection of bars and cafes. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody travelling to Gibraltar for a holiday.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are great, as mentioned in other reviews, they do get hot, but well worth it, the a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian B
Ian B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us.
thank you for all your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Turned up for lunch in the bar burgers and sandwich for group of four Waiter took order one of the group ordered a burger specifically without mayo.It took them an age to get the food to the table and all the burgers had mayo which was incorrect .Waiter took the offending burger away and said it would be sorted .It never was and we complained. The staff appeared to give not a blind fig and seemingly could not communicate with each other .Best bet is go somewhere else for bar snacks .

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Tim H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I do apologise for the less than satisfactory service you received when you arrived for lunch on our Veranda Terrace. I can assure you that is not our normal standard of service. We are training new bar staff at the moment and I will certainly be going through your review with my Food and Beverage Manager.
Tim, I would like to offer you an upgrade to a suite on your return visit to Gibraltar.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We have just returned from a long weekend in Gibraltar.(11-14 July). It was our 5th visit and we have stayed at the Calleta and mostly with friends who live in Gibraltar there. This time we decided to stay at the Eliott as we wanted to relax and re-charge our batteries.
We requested a high floor room with views over the Straights. On arrival we were allocated 701...perfect.
The room was very clean and the bed comfortable...clean towels everyday and a well stocked tea/coffee tray.We ordered room service and this arrived promptly
Breakfast was very good and plenty of staff to clear the tables and replenish the food.

We requested a late check out on Monday as our flight was an evening flight, the young lady on reception didn't think this was possible
as the hotel was at full capacity, but said that they could store our bags and that they would provide us with towels and a hairdryer so that we could shower in the gym.
A little while later I was talking to the reception manager who was up helping with breakfast and mentioned this to him. Within half an hour we were told that we had a late check out...perfect !!! (and at no extra cost).

My husband had stayed at the Eliott several years previously , when we checked into our room there were chocolates for us and a small card welcoming us back !
all staff were very polite and helpful.

The pool area is very pleasant with tables and chairs with canopies...on a higher level there is a sunbathing terrace which has spectacular views.
My only gripe being that there aren't enough sunbeds (12 in all) and that there is room for at least half a dozen more. Yes, some people were up there early to put towels out to reserve their beds, but its just as nice to sit next to the pool. The bar man at the pool bar was very good and there were towels there too.

The Eliott is very well situated and is pretty close to everything...a ten minute stroll down to Casemates Square where there are restaurants and bars.

We didn't eat dinner at the hotel, but finished off every evening sitting outside with a nice coffee and glass of wine. On Saturday night there was a singer who was very good too.

We plan to return to Gibraltar as soon as possible and WILL be booking to stay at The Eliott...we think of Gibraltar as almost like being home, so therefore the Eliott is our 2nd home.

Thankyou to ALL staff who have made our recent stay perfect

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 5th floor as you will have views. If you want a view over the Straights the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank jkmcdonald
Dear Jkmcdonald,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
I am delighted you had a great stay and that you enjoyed the chocolates.
We look forward to your 6th visit to us and we hope it will be soon.

With kind regards, Mary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibraltar
Sunborn Gibraltar
AC Hotel La Linea by Marriott
#1 of 6 in La Linea de la Concepcion
4.0 of 5 stars 485 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!