“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Have been fortunate to visit The Rock twice during July
The Hotel of preference on The Rock certainly is The Eliott , its location is perfect , close to all the Bars , restaurants and shops , and convenient for work
Throughout the booking and reservation process for both visits helpful staff dealt with all requests
Lynn in Reservation Department was very helpful
Whilst the fabric of the building is a little tired , the rooms are large with great views over Gibraltar
Rooms clean and with ample facilities for use during the stay
The roof top pool was great at the end of a working day

Looking forward to returning in the future

Room Tip: West facing rooms on 6th r 7th floor are the best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear WayneG,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review .
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will pass on your comment to Lynn, who is always delighted to help make our customers stay a good one.

With kind regards, Mary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

this was our first time at the eliott hotel always stayed at the rock,okay we stayed in a junior suite
which was very nice ,infact my wife said can we go back in September so have booked for 9 days
in sept back in the j/suite.,it is well located in gib ,found the staff very good the house keeping staff was excellent the room was done to perfection.would recommend this hotel in our view for anyone looking for a good holiday

A&H Radford

Room Tip: it is worth going for a junior suite our was on the sixth floor a great view of the rock from the ba...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Radham007,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We all look forward to seeing you in September !!!!!

Windsor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed on for a three night special break and requested a high room, we were a alllocated third floor and when asked if any alternative staff didnt seem to want to discuss any further. Was generally pleased room was reasonable size and bathroom ok. However there seemed to be a rationing of toilet paper and clean towels which had to be requested from reception. The beds were nice and comfortable and although the pool was smaller than expected. Our room was cleaned each day but dirty marks in the bathroom remained during our stay so cleaning was not thorough.

My father liked to sit on the terrace outside in the cool as he was unable to walk very far, it was disapointing to have to look at rows and rows of empty derelict buildings outside the hotel to both sides and a building site at the end of the road, so no points for outlook or sitting on the terrace im afraid ! Its a real shame as the top of the high street was 2 minutes away and about 15-20 mins walk to the square.

The restaurant manager obviously works very hard to maintain excellent standards at breakfast, we didnt try the evening menu but breakfast was lovely, hot and a good variiety, served between 7 and 10 gives a chance of a lie in.

I didnt find any of the staff particulary friendly and none seemed very happy either, having worked in a hotel myself didnt see anyone go the extra mile for customer service.

Another issue every time i tried to return to my room by lift in the day i had waits of up to 15 mins as managers and staff seemed to hold discussions in the lifts on a regular basis holding customers up ! On three occasions i found myself in with staff/managers having debates ! The staff really dont seem happy and its a shame as it does reflect on the level of service received in an otherwise good hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mumofonelovelyboy,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted you enjoyed our breakfast, I do apologise that you felt the staff were not happy and did not go that extra mile for you during your stay.
Our staff are all here quiet a long time now and we strive to give an excellent service to our customers, I will be discussing your comments with each department.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed in the hotel whilst working in Gib for a few days. Room directly above the main entrance was noisy very noisy. Only eat breakfast, which was good with stunning views over the bay.
Staff friendly enough and bar staff were well mannered. Would use it again as overall it is a good hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear mikec-edinburgh,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here (1st floor) for 3 days on short family break. Location on main pedestrian street about 15 min walk from airport. Very clean establishment and really hard to find fault. Pool area is a little less inviting than web pics suggest but view over rock and the bay are great. Likewise view from breakfast room is spectacular and I have to compliment the quality of the breakfast. The chef(s) clearly takes pride in their work.Some of the staff could behave in a more customer friendly manner. (This observation relates not just to the hotel but several places I visited in Gib). Some people were most helpful yet others were a bit abrupt and did not seem to care.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up MAY get a better view. Found no issues with noise on lower floor as indicated elsewh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guerdner,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our breakfast and the great views from the restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Great location close to Main Street. The hotel is nicely furnished, clean and the room was comfortable, although it was very noisy. I could clearly hear the man in the next room coughing (poor man coughed all night) and the doors to other rooms seemed to bang loudly (and often!)

The service was not very helpful with one of the reception staff being quite off-hand (one was lovely). The barman did not ask my husband what kind of beer he wanted, just poured, and also put unwanted ice and water into a Scotch. Some training for the staff in attention to detail might be worthwhile.

We thought the breakfast quite expensive so chose to explore the many options in Main Street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Judb,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I do apologise for one of our receptionist not providing you with a good service, I will be speaking with my reception team re your comment.
Also we are training new bar staff at the moment and I am sorry for the service you received in the bar during your stay.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again shortly.

Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed for one night at the end of a week sailing. I was looking forward to a bit of comfort and wasn't disappointed. I arrived early, 10am ever hopeful that my room was ready. I was told that it would be another hour (still impressive) but I could leave my luggage in a locked room at reception. I found the public areas to be clean and spacious and my room very comfortable. I only ate breakfast which was plentiful and varied. The staff were all very helpful and service good. If I was coming back to stay in Gibraltar this hotel would definitely be in my list of choices.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear JohnCass,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!