“Best Hotel In Gibraltar” 5 of 5 stars

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Governors Parade, Gibraltar   |
Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Gibraltar
Gandia, Spain
“Best Hotel In Gibraltar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Excellent hotel in the heart of Gibraltar just a short walk from Main Street. We found this to be a very welcoming hotel and check in was quick and simple. The room was perhaps a little dated compared to more modern hotels but of a satisfactory standard. No mini bar was found but TV was supplied as was a great view of the harbour from the large double opening windows with a tiny balcony. We ate in the bar where we found an excellent choice of well cooked meals at a reasonable price. The hotel was clean, airy and spacious with a friendly atmousphere throughout. The breakfasts were supurb! An excellent choice of both hot (and I mean hot!) and cold selections and with good waiter service. Only minor problems were encountered such as no minibar but also wifi was charged for. This I feel should be provided as standard in all hotels. However, we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a harbour view room if possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Bill T,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your lovely comments.
We appreciate all feedback from our customers.
Bill, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

842 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Wigan, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I visit gibraltar annually in feb on business, staying at the Eliot. The location is probably the best in the city. The pool and sun deck views are outstanding. The verendah bar on Saturday night had very easy going entertainment aka Sinatra , jazz tv., great stuff. Rooms and service as usual top notch. Hacked off that you have to pay to have access to tv now... Think that's a bit cheeky. Twenty quids not on.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ian William H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and thank you for your lovely comments, which we always appreciate.
The charge your were concerned about on the TV's is the in house movies package.
We are at the moment upgrading to digital TV and when it is completed we will have 20 free TV stations to choose from.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the O'Callaghan Elliot over Christmas. We paid a premium for a room with a sea view then discovered that other guests who booked much later got similar rooms for almost half the price. The room was excellent and well serviced. We had a communicating door with our friends which was very useful, BUT DO NOT EAT CHRISTMAS DINNER THERE. There Spanish cook (no way was he a chef) knew nothing about roasting and serving any meat let alone turkey, did not provide ANY gravy or enough veg and was clueless when it came to dessert. ALL the staff just didn't want to be there and couldn't wait to get rid of us so that they could go home. It was an expensive meal and we were compensated on complaining but we feel it is only fair to warn future guests. Stay there by all means, it is otherwise a good hotel, but do not eat t there. "Disappointed at Christmas"

Room Tip: sixth or seventh floor overlooking sea
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Artemis66,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us over Christmas.
We in the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel strive to ensure that all of our customers receive friendly, efficient service in comfortable surroundings. It is clear from reading your review during your meal this did not happen and for this I am sorry. I have spoken with my team re the issues raised in your review. Relevent procedures have been implemented to ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future.
I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel as I am confident that you will notice a marked improvement.

With Kind regards, Mary
Bexley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in January for 4 nights as a short break for his birthday.

Firstly the good...the location is great - a very short walk to main street and the bars and restaurants - although a note for anybody going in January as we did, Gibraltar closes early - the bars by the hotel finishing food at 7pm weekdays and 4pm/5pm at the weekend but I'm sure in the summer the main street is open for much longer and I don't blame the traders for not working as long during the winter months.

The room was good and very comfortable and no matter what time we left in the morning the room was cleaned and restocked.

Now the not so good....the reception who "greeted" us was abrupt and I won't go into details about what he said to me but I felt he was actually rude. The reception area itself is in need of decoration and I've since seen the reviewer who mentioned the clocks - they had been taken down and all that remained were dirty marks on the wall behind the desk. So all in all my first impression of the hotel wasn't great and that does tend to cloud your judgement of the rest of the stay.

Breakfast was another poor area. The waiters were less than helpful and acted like they wanted to be anywhere but the restaurant. Officially breakfast was available until 10:30. We arrived most mornings around 9:15/9:30 and that seemed to be past the time when the buffet would be restocked - one morning about 10 people were fighting over the one sausage left!!

My husband says I can't write this as I didn't mention it at the time but our first trip to breakfast actually put me off eating at the hotel - a small thing perhaps - but there was green mould over the top slice of bread supplied for toast and when I tried the rest it was exceptionally dried and stale - so no toast for us.

So all in all a mixed experience. I don't know if we would return to Gibraltar as we covered all of the sights and places to see but if we did I'm not sure if I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Lesley E,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory service you received during your stay with us.
I have carried out a thorough investigation of the issues you raised in your review and they have been the subject of my meeting s with staff and management.
Our wall clocks were being fixed as they were losing time.
We here in the O’Callaghan Eliott Hotel strive to insure that all of our customers receive friendly, efficient service in comfortable surroundings.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon to the O’Callaghan Eliott Hotel.

Timbuktu, Tombouctou, Mali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Fantastic hotel. Ideally situated and catered for our every need. Highly recommended. The staff were very helpful and helped us with places to go and see etc. Bar very clean and tidy and nice food. Will without a doubt be going back to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Kev C,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff very helpful.
we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I don't usually write reviews as I like to give places an opportunity by emailing the manager directly which I did last week and almost a week later have not had the courtesy of a reply. The Eliott could be so much better but no one appears to really care. I stayed last week (I'm a regular visitor) on the first floor which was noisy, I could hear music from the bar late at night. The hotel had problems with its water pipes, which meant water buckets behind reception. My biggest gripe however as a regular business visitor to Gibraltar that this "business hotel" charges its customers for internet access (very archaic) and to add insult to injury its hugely expensive. My home high speed fibre optic broad band is cheaper for a month that the Eliott is for a few hours!! Come on O'Callaghan Hotels you have a great location for your hotel you just need to up your game.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mary K, General Manager at O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Flyer 1960.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Please accept my apologies as I have not received any emails re your concerns.
Yes we did have a water leak from a burst pipe as we were fitting a new one, and I do apologise for the disruption this may have caused during your stay with us.
Please email me directly when you are returning to Gibraltar and I can offer you an upgrade to a suite.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A 2 night stay this week. Overall, a positive experience. The Room was very clean and quiet, even though my room was next to the lift shaft. I found the breakfast was very tasty and there was a decent choice of food on offer. The hotel is in a very good location.

The fixtures and fittings in the Hotel are quite dated and it didn't really live up to what i was expecting given the price i had paid.

A couple of things that really struck me as 'odd' about this hotel - I am hoping the hotel management see this review..

The first thing I noticed when i walked in off the street, and when forming my first impressions of the hotel, was that the 6 clocks on the wall behind reception - showing the time in 6 different cities around the world, were all out of sync with one another. It cannot be 25 past the hour in one city and 10 past the hour in another. All of them showed different readings past/to the hour at any given time. I highlighted this to the reception staff and was informed the batteries needed changing, presumably an easy job, but nothing had been done 2 days later when i left. The other thing that I really noticed was that the restaurant - located on the 8th floor with superb views over the town, harbour, and bay - only the glass in the windows was completely obscured by severe condensation so it want possible to see anything.

2 seemingly small things but they really detracted from the otherwise positive experience of staying here. I cant be the only one to have noticed!

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dan_NorthLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast. Yes our clocks were broken and needed more attention than a change of battery.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With kind regards, Mary

Been to O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel? Share your experiences!