“Homely hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Herradura

You added Hotel Herradura to your Saves list
Hotel Herradura
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda. Xoan Carlos I - Alameda, 15701 Santiago de Compostela, Spain   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Monaghan, Ireland
“Homely hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here after completing our Camino and found it to be perfect for our needs after being on the road for several days. The staff were more than friendly and helpful and the attention to detail made us feel special. The hotel is quite small but that just adds to the feeling of home, it's impeccably clean and the turn down service in the evenings is a lovely surprise. The hotel is just 7 minutes walk from the Cathedral and has a lovely park behind it. The menu, while limited is beautifully presented and freshly prepared. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, whatever your reason for being in Santiago. I look forward to returning again and again for weekends away. Great city, great hotel.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to get a room with a little enclosed balcony. Perfect for reading or just relax...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

finally, a hotel that is welcoming to Pilgrim's/ Americans. the staff has been very accommodating , helpful, friendly, and willing to try to speak English. they offer a good breakfast that's includes many different items hot and cold, in a nice location out of the direct traffic of the city central but still close, nice bed , lots of TV channels, clean bathroom with many little bathroom amenities, and a nice balcony. I give this place a 4 1/2 out of 5.

• Stayed September 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night at the end of a 1-week language course at the university of Santiago.

From the first welcome to (literally) waving me off in a taxi at 05:30 in the morning, the staff were friendly and ultra-helpful.

The hotel is fairly small, situated with its back to the Alameda park. It is five minutes at most from the pedestrianised old city, which is a delight with its arcaded streets and many squares, and also close to the more modern shopping streets. Being outside the pedestrianised area means a taxi can bring you to the front door.

I had a double room to myself for c.£50. It was a little tight but with everything of high quality, and welcome aircon. Based on the floorplan it looked like this was one of the smaller rooms, so may be not representative. In the bathroom the shower was tricky to get into. There was no mini-bar and as far as I could see only Spanish and Galician stations on the TV. There is a lift. The decor is traditional rather than trendy, but not old-fashioned and anyway it suited me fine.

I wanted to eat tapas for my evening meal, which are not typical of Galicia where larger helpings are normal. The guy at the front desk explained this and marked out a couple of nearby recommended places which buck the trend and do serve tapas.

I had to check out very early for a Madrid flight, so did not have breakfast (although it was offered, at 05:15 - many bigger hotels can't manage that). The breakfast area looked small but clean and high quality.

Judged purely on physical characteristics I might have rated this hotel at three stars, but the good standard of the furnishings and fittings, the reasonable price, the location and above all the excellent staff mean it deserves four.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back, larger at the front - I would suggest getting in touch with the hotel if...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Rothesay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was our ending point on our Camino walk. This hotel had a great check in . Nice rooms.
They had a turn down service at night that I thought was awesome. I would recommend this as a nice place to stay.

The location was very convenient for us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brentwood Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I spent last night at this hotel and what a gem.I had spent 9 days walking The camino.I was on my own and feeling a bit tired and the hotel receptionists were from Heaven.A beer was produced and then another.A taxi was booked for my trip to the airport and then a good meal was booked.The rooms were very clean and the breakfasts were good.The management should give the staff a rise in pay as they deserve it- i will return-Mike Fitzgerald

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Centrally located between the university campus, and the old and the new town (all 5 minutes away at most), Herradura is a lovely, relatively inexpensive option if you want somewhere clean, friendly and well-located. The rooms are nicely decorated, and the hotel has a small bar serving light breakfast (toast, croissant, tea and coffee, juice) and is also available for snacks/beers 24h a day. Wireless is free and there is a rapid laundry service, and many of the staff speak English.

A big thumbs up :)

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed 4 nights and were delighted with the excellent standards of service, cleanliness and food. The hotel team were so friendly and exceeded our expectations eg it was by birthday during my stay (they found that out from my passport details) and there was a lovely bottle of Cava on ice waiting for us when we returned from our day out. We received excellent advise on where to visit in Santiago and nearby Galicia coastal locations. The hotel is in a great location, the rooms were spacious and immaculately clean. The hotel team made our stay such a delight that I was motivated to buy them the biggest box of chololates the nearby Carrefour had for sale!! I have no hesitation in recommending the Herradura!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel overlooking the park.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Herradura? Share your experiences!