“Nice little hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Costa Vella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santiago de Compostela
Hotel Costa Vella
You added Hotel Costa Vella to your Saves list
Rua Porta de Pena 17, 15704 Santiago de Compostela, Spain   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
“Nice little hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a lovely old building has super staff and is in a great location.It also has a nice little garden and terrace.The breakfast was superb and nothing was too much trouble.I would say however that it was quite noisy, the bed was too small and the bathroom needed an upgrade.Was good value for money though.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is well located. It is very close to all the main sights (the cathedral is less than five minutes away on foot) yet despite this, the area were it is situated is quiet and peaceful. There are plenty of good restaurants in its vicinity. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They will gladly answer any question or make recommendations regarding sightseeing and dinning. My room was very clean and the bed quite comfortable. I stayed for four nights and I also found the price to be a good value. I would definitely gladly return again to this hotel if I come back to Santiago de Compostela

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. We had a return visit this year in April to finish the Camino and I want to stay again. Beautiful hotel with wonderful terrace and garden, breakfast is fantastic and the staff are the most helpful in the world. Nothing is too much trouble and Roberto and Jose are among the best hotel hosts you'll ever find. They helped us with everything and made us feel so welcome. A definite gold star for Costa Vella.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at the Costa Vella for 5 nights at Easter and couldn't have been made more welcome. Roberto and Xavier were fantastic hosts and did everything they could to make us feel as if we were staying with family. Unfortunately they couldn't do anything about the torrential rain, but recommended lovely restaurants close to the hotel so that we didn't have to get too wet!

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the garden and the view if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just cant fit in here in my review all the good things about this hotel. It was certainly one of the nicest hotels i have stayed in. Beautiful building with lovely terrace garden in the old town of Santiago overlooking the cathedral. Staff were so friendly and helfull, and nothing was any bother. Breakfast was wounderfull and when we had tea/ coffee later on we were told that they complementary. Very good price also. A very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Do ask for aroom off the street
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Killarney, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had planned to stay at Costa Vella and booked three different rooms at the time of booking as they were not able to give me a room for the three nights. However, they very kindly booked us into their sister hotel Hotel Altair ( which was lovely). I spent some time at this hotel and loved the cosiness of the place. The lovely garden at the back where one could sip a glass of wine or have a coffee and the lovely balcony( in from the rain) where we felt relaxed and taken care of.
The owners are so attentive and the staff friendly. I plan to return for a long weekend to soak up the ambience of this lovely hotel located at a quiet part of the old city.

Room Tip: All rooms were exceptional - clean and comfortable
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice in summer for several nights each time. It's the best hotel I have ever stayed in becuase the staff are amazing. I found Spaniards in general to be welcoming and genuinely helpful but the staff here were above and beyond anyone else I had encountered during my travels in Spain. Right from the time of booking I knew I was on a winner. Roberto wrote to me with photos and descriptions of all the room options to allow me to pick the room I wanted. When I arrived unexpectedly the first time without a booking it wasn't a problem and I was given the ground floor twin room opposite reception. They apologised and said it might be noisy next to reception but I didn't find it too bad, I usually sleep with earplugs in when I stay in hotels anyway. The second room I had was a single room (double bed) on the first floor. Unlike the first room it was at the front of the hotel and faced the street, and was quite noisy overnight becuase of roadworks which were happening. I would sleep with the window shut because of this but then found that the room became unbearably hot and stuffy. Not the hotel's fault, but something to consider if you are able to pick your room.

Continental breakfast ison offer at a small extra charge and is well worth it. You can choose whether to have it in the bar, in beautiful courtyard garden outside (which is always full of people in the summer afternoons and evenings drinking amongst the plants and flowers) or in the upstairs breakfast room which was my preferred spot becuase I just loved looking out over the stunning view of parts of Santiago de Compostela. Although it's not a buffet you won't be able to eat more than they bring you! They keep topping up your bread, croissants, cheese, tomato, yoghurt, fruit, jams, juice, tea and coffee until you can't fit anymore in!

The hotel provides free wi-fi and for those who have nothing to access it on they loan their guest laptop which you can use in the bar or in the library upstairs. Bowls of wrapped, boiled sweets are in each room which I thought was a lovely touch.

The hotel is a 5-7 minute walk from the cathedral, if that. There is a small grocers across the road where you can buy drinks, snacks, fruit, toiletries. A world of bars and restaurants abound as do churches and, of course, pilgrims who have arrived after journeying along the Way of St James.

Nothing is a problem for this family run hotel. I cannot recommend it more highly. I won't stay anywhere else if/when I return to Santiago de Compostela.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have fantastic views and don't face the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Costa Vella? Share your experiences!