“Disappointing - find somewhere more central!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hesperia Peregrino

You added Hesperia Peregrino to your Saves list
Hesperia Peregrino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda. Rosalia de Castro s/n, 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - find somewhere more central!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here after finishing our Camino to enjoy a bit of luxury. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations. Firstly, the exterior of the hotel is off-putting as it looks like it's seen better days but once you get into the lobby it's a lot nicer. However, when we got up to our room we were surprised by the size of the bed - it looked small for a double, but reception assured us that it was indeed a double. NH hotels offer you 'fancy' things such as pillow menus etc but I think in this case they have missed out on a lot of basic details. For example, there was a patch of mould on the bathroom ceiling and when I went to get into the bath I realised how small the tub actually was! I couldn't stretch out my legs and I'm only 1m 59! I'd like to see someone tall try to have a bath in there! Basically, instead of spending money on different pillows I think they should invest in the basics like a standard size bath tub and a decent size bed!
After checking out the room we went down to the outdoor pool which was very pleasant and the gardens looked good too although we only caught a glimpse of them.
The next morning before leaving we decided to try the breakfast buffet. In hindsight I wish we'd gone out for breakfast. It's true that they do have a good selection of food but, as other reviewers have said, the juices aren't fresh and some of the meats/cheeses looked like they'd been left out for a while. However, this wasn't the main problem with breakfast. On each table they place small cards telling you that you can order eggs and bacon etc. I decided to order some poached eggs and did so in Spanish. Unfortunately, the translations into English on the other side of the card were either in a different order or completely different so I had asked for boiled eggs instead of poached eggs. In my opinion all translations like this should match up with their counterparts as foreigners often like to practise their languages on holiday. In fact, poached eggs was not even an option on the Spanish side of the card, probably why I chose something that sounded like it could be a poached egg, huevos pasados por agua - literally 'eggs passed through water'! When I alerted the restaurant manager to this and the fact that I had got boiled eggs not poached eggs she was rude and was very quick to tell me that it was my mistake because of the language and to correct my Spanish, but despite this she could change my order if I wanted, even though it wasn't her fault. I like boiled eggs so I was happy to eat them but when I cracked them open they were hard inside. When I had asked her for the eggs initially I made it clear that I wanted them soft and runny but I got the total opposite! I think she had a bit of an attitude problem and is certainly not a reflection of other hotel staff we encountered with whom I dealt in Spanish without incident.
In summary I'd recommend looking for a different hotel in Santiago. This one is not very central and it's not worth the extra walk to stay there! More like a 3* hotel than a 4* one.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mid Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located being some 10 mins from both the railway station and the historic city centre.
The room I had was very large and comfortable with a balcony overlooking the pool, it's a shame they didn't provide a chair so that you could actually use it!
The breakfast was good and the evening buffet good value if somewhat basic; my only complaint was the lack of a bar area to relax in after a long day travelling - they do have a bar on the groind floor but on both evenings we were there it was closed and we had to make do with a cafe on the first floor with no comfortable seating and infrequent service (you had to try and catch a passing member of staff to come and serve you)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here in May for 5 Nights & had a wonderful stay. Excellent Value for money - Very Comfortable. Rooms cleaned every day . Staff extremely helpful. Location is perfect just about a 10 min stroll to the Centre. The Breakfast was fantastic. On our first day there we had walked almost 25km & were very tired after. So we decided to try the €9.99 Carvery Dinner in the hotel. We didn't expect that it would be great for that price but we were very pleasantly surprised as it was Fantastic. So good we ate there on 2 other evenings. The only critism was that I had booked a hotel specifically for the swimming Pool but it was not available for use. Apparently they were waiting for the green light from the Council. Also there was no Hotel Book showing all the facilities of the hotel. Only Bloombers & BBC World news available on the TV Channels
I would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Get a room with a Balcony overlooking the Pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
La Paz, Bolivia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It is not surprising that NH Hesperia Peregrino ranks low in this listing: it is not the best choice for Santiago de Compostela. Not only is a bit outside the old town, but also it does not offer the three things you might be looking for: a good breakfast, a nice view from your window, and room comfort. Rooms are not bad, they seem to have been refurbished not long ago, but when I arrived items in the mini bar were warm instead of cold (it was changed when I complained) and the TV programme offered few choices. NH builds a whole fuzz about natural and healthy breakfasts (kiwi and cereals), but the truth is that not even fruits juices are fresh, most come from a tetra pack box. After staying in a couple of NH hotels recently I'm convinced they just add the NH logo to the hotels they buy, but they have no standards of quality and maintenance, and they do not train their staff.

Room Tip: Check mini bar and all items before unpacking
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Pontevedra, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at this four star hotel for a week. The location was good, it was walking distance to the old town and the cathedral. The hotel was clean and well presented although the outside when you arrive is not what I would expect of a four star hotel. the building facade is a bit dirty and cheap looking, however inside is much nicer. I was disappointed that there was not much entertainment inside the hotel, no spa or gym. But my biggest complaint is the food. The breakfast buffet is the best meal served there. The lunch buffet and dinner room service is absolutely awful and you would be much better eating outside. The room service is certainly not cheap but the quality is terrible. I ordered a chicken salad on the first night and the chicken was burnt on the outside and raw inside. They did take it off the bill when I complained but the receptionist I spoke to was not hospitable nor bothered about it and I actually had to say that I would like it removed from the bill. I also ordered a carbonara one night which was a big plate of overcooked pasta with a drizzle of cream and ham. Another time I ordered a ciabatta pizza which was clearly microwaved and was cold in the middle. I ate in the hotel because I was there on business and did not want to eat dinner out. All I can say is that this hotel did not win four stars due in any part to its food which is not at all up to the standard of a four star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

It's a comfortable hotel on a bus route about 15 mins walk from Cathedral and centre.
If you have a few blisters after Camino 15 mins is a long walk back and forward so choose somewhere more central.
Don't be put off by the poor exterior it's nicer inside.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
val di sole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

the position is very good, because you can walk almost anywhere in the city, you can reach the center in 5-10 min walk. And also at night there are a lot of pubs and disco in the neighborhood.
They have very nice rooms, the beds are confortable, the place is very clean and the food is quite ok. The best thing was breakfast: they bring a lot of biologic food, a variety of fresh juices, cereals, yoghurt, cheese, eggs, and many many other things... it was a pleasure waking up after a night of party and having such a rich breakfast!! :) the staff was also friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hesperia Peregrino? Share your experiences!