“Carry on Abroad at the El Cid knocking shop” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 38 hotels in Sitges
Darwen, United Kingdom
“Carry on Abroad at the El Cid knocking shop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was the most cruisy Gay Hotel ever! My friends grindr was pinging away most of the time! The place is dated and needs updating. Maybe some people would call it rustic but it looked like a throwback to the 70s or 80s. I could imagine Judith Chalmers avec orange face popping out from beyond the stone arches in the lounge at any point!. Wifi was shaky to say the least. The room was on the small side and the shower room tiny! Having air-con in the room was a blessing as it only dropped to 27c on average at night. Maid service was good. Make sure you get a safety deposit box as you never know who is about. There is more pickpocketing crime and theft in Sitges and Barcelona now than there was when I last visited in 2006 sadly. Breakfast was ok and served until midday which was good. The staff were generally friendly and Tony the Manager is worth his weight in gold - very professional and experienced. The hotel is in a great location for the train station, bus services, restaurants and the gay scene is just 5 minutes walk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for posting a review, it's really appreciated.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us

363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is the second time I have stopped at this hotel and have previously stayed at its sister hotel, The Galeon and, once again cannot fault the hotel or the staff. My sister and I stayed for a week in May 2012 and this year I visited with my Dad. My sister was so impressed with the hotel last year that she and her boyfriend also stayed there this year during the same week as us!

The Hotel is basic, but spotlessly clean. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and happy to help. The food is fresh and plentiful. The pool is small but there is never a shortage of sunbeds.

The El Cid is only a few minutes walk from the train station (saving £40 on transfers) and the Mon Bus from the airport also passes within a few minutes walk on the main road. The main town and the Promenade are 5 minutes away, but you would hardly even know judging by the lack of noise!

We had a room overlooking the main road this year (we were overlooking the side street last year) and yes, whilst the road was fairly noisy, with the patio door shut, there was silence! The window shutters and blackout curtain did their job keeping the sun out and keeping the room cool - so much so that the first morning we slept in until lunch as we couldn't tell it was morning! Keeping the door shut does make the room warm (outside temperatures of 30+), but a simple nod to Reception and the air-conditioning was on!

I cannot fault the staff and the facilities at the El Cid - the Wifi is free and fast, the location is excellent, the accommodation is spotless and cleaned daily.

We will definitely be returning next year!

Well done again to all at the Hotel El Cid - ¡ sigan con el excelente trabajo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main road if you want to sit out on the balcony quietly or keep the door open...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay. It's lovely to get return guests, I am glad you found everything as good as the last time - consistency is extremely important from a service perspective. We will keep on working hard to ensure we are delivering the very best, we're proud of what we do.
Hope we can welcome you back a next time!
Best wishes,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed at el CID mid June this years changes to the hotel with the reception being moved means there was always some one to serve at bar the rooms over the pool all now have fridges and huge beds like the ones in gallion with the air conditioning and the the walkin power showers the hotel had come a long way and all helped to make our stay fantastic as normal the whole place is looked after by the amazing tony nothing is a problem and after 12 years of going to el CID the place just wouldn't be the same with out him thank u tony for making the holiday perfect and to all your staff see you end of September Martin and Derek

• Stayed June 2013
What a lovely review, thank you so much for your thoughts. We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will keep on working hard to ensure we are delivering the very best, we're proud of what we do. Hope we can welcome you back a next time!
Best wishes,
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I loved this hotel! It's main benefit is the location. Less than 10 mins from the train station and the beach and less than 5 mins to the town centre. Despite this we had no traffic or bar noise in our hotel so was a great to use as a base. The staff were incredibly helpful with good english - we arrived a bit early and they held our bags and asked if we wanted to freshen up or have a shower (they have a locked storage room that they hold bags in, and another small room you can take a shower in). The room itself was pretty basic but come on people, this is a one star hotel! It had clean comfortable beds, a clean bathroom, free air-conditioning and a large balcony - everything you need as we were never planning to spend much time in the room when not sleeping. The breakfast was a much higher standard and wider variety than I expected, and best of all it was served until midday! Perfect for a lie-in after a late night. There is free wi-fi in the reception area and lots of sofas and chairs to sit in while you're online. The pool was good but as the hotel is so close to the beach we only visited it once. This is the perfect hotel for a no-frills central location, I loved it and would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Go for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it is greatly appreciated.
We're also pleased that your holiday in our beautiful country went so well and we were happy to be able to contribute to that.
Thank you for your company and we would love to see you return sometime.
Blyth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have just come back from my first visit to Sitges. I was looking for somewhere cheap but not nasty. I decided to go for the El Cid as it gets great reviews on here and seemed ideal for me as I was visiting alone. I arrived by using the Mon Bus which drops you off just down the road. If you take the train, the station is also very close by. The staff were pleasant and took me through everything I needed to know.

My room was nice, I had opted for a double with a balcony. I was facing the main street but three floors up so there wasn't really any problems with noise. Anyway the double glazing drowned out any noise that might have irritated me. I have to be honest I'm not the type to usually make it for breakfast with being out late on holidays. I did try the breakfast once and there is a big selection of cereals, meats, breads, fruit, coffee and tea etc. Breakfast is served until 12pm which is convenient.

I thought it was a nice touch that when the room was cleaned the air con was put on and the curtains were closed to ensure the room was nice and cool for my return. Clean towels were provided and other amenities. My only small downfall which is just my opinion is that there is no Wi-Fi in the rooms. It is available in the communal areas downstairs. It's not too much of a problem as plenty of bars and restaurants offer it and/or you can just go downstairs to use it. It's just those times you can't be bothered. Then again it's a good value hotel so you may expect to not get little extras like this.

Overall I found the hotel good value, clean, friendly and is within throwing distance of all the shops, restaurants and bars. The beach is literally a couple of minutes walk away. Like many others I am not sure why the El Cid is only one star? Maybe it keeps the prices down so that's a good thing. I would stay here again and will recommend the El Cid to friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your wonderful review and for taking the time to post it, it's very much appreciated!
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Sitges.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I have had many friends stay here and had always been on their rooms. I would normally stay in the galleon but we though wed try here for a change. Considering we booked this hotel last August 2012 we ended up in what had to be the worst room ever. There was a ver small wardrobe which wasn't sufficient enough for two people so we had to keep most of our stuff in out cases there just wasn't room for anything.when we opened our windows we wer lookin Down onto a very small what the guy at reception called a patio which if u did go out to it you couldn't have swung a cat it was so depressing that we Neva went to the room only to get changed and sleep because it got us down and fed up. The bathroom well only was I can explain its is if u wer sittin on the toilet u could wash ur hands in the sink at the same time and also wash ur feet in the shower that's how small and uncomfortable it's was. This room should be rented out for single occupancy definetly not double or triple for that matter.the breakfast was great so was the wifi and the pool and the staff it was just that room so people just be careful that u don't end up in one of these rooms like we did. We didn't complain cause the fact we were only stayin for a few days but if it hadve been longer we definetly would have.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your candid comments in regards to your stay. I am somewhat dis heartened to hear of your surprise at the negative points. We regret so much that our hotel didn´t be able to get your expectations.
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

As usual another perfect stay at El Cid...
The staff are always helpful, pleasant and approachable.
Accomodation cannot be faulted and I look forward to another stay at this unique, homely and highly recommended premises.

I am always so sad to leave!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
We wish you could have stayed longer too! We're very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind remarks. All the very best.

Been to Hotel El Cid? Share your experiences!