“3rd time at Calipolis” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Calipolis

Save Saved
You added Hotel Calipolis to your Saves list
Hotel Calipolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Sofia 2-6 | Paseo Martimo s/n, 08870 Sitges, Spain   |
Ranked #15 of 38 hotels in Sitges
New York, NY
“3rd time at Calipolis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is the third year in a row I have stated here. I must say, they have done a nice renovation. I am in room 435, which faces the mountains. My first two visits I had ocean views. I decided to save some money and take a mountain view room. It is perfectly fine. The room is more updated than I remember the last two visits in 2012 and 2011. The bath and shower are both very nice. Seems that they haven't quite figured out the soundproofing yet, though. The lads in the room above me wore high heels and I could hear her clacking around at all hours. Otherwise, it is a really nice hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We came to check the hotel before we decided to stay here ,cause the critics on Tripadvisers are quite different !Staff from front desk show us the 3rd floor junior suite , we liked it but the view wasn't good, that's why we booked the junior suite 4 days later and requested higher floor!
The staff knew us cause he showed us the room already , and the hotel assigned the 6th floor junior suite with the view we loved!! Was really happy ! So great !
Then it comes the most unpleasant experience ever had during the last 20 years traveling experiences !
While we entered the room unpacked all the luggages and prepare to enjoy the ocean view with a drink , the fridge wasn't function, then we sat on the nice big balcony and the nice solar awning system doesn't work at all ! ( from the web it mentioned about the great solar awning system in the junior suite and suite )
Then after talking to the front desk clerk ( Eduardo ) quite friendly to explain its defect but will repair first thing tomorrow morning , or we change to 2nd floor a suite ( surely we knew the view 4 days before we checked in and we dont like it ! ) or a standard room at 7th or 8th floor, ( surely we want to have bigger and better room,also really don't want to pack again!! ) then we just kind of waiting inside the room until sunset then sat at the balcony due to the really strong sun you can't sit there with the rooftops open !
Next morning the engineer people come also very friendly telling they could only solve the problem of the balcony blinds but not the solar awning system ( the roof ) then I called after 2 hours to the front desk ( 13:00) and they said they don't know!? ( yes very interesting answer ) have to wait manager came back , after 2 1/2 hours ( 15:37 ) the manager Mr. Edgar Labadia finally called , the horror story begins
First thing he try to explain there is no body know when the company will come to repair due to this company doesn't only work for them ! Then I said there is nothing you can do? I really want to enjoy the balcony ! He said: No , Nothing ! And try to implied he gave us a complimentary breakfast already yesterday plus a Cava ! But I tried to tell him we really love to stay at the balcony reading and chilling instead of staying 10 mins then need to go inside the room ! Then it comes : I tried to offer you a suite at 2nd floor and you don't want , or a standard room at higher floor you don't want , what do you want ? I tried to explain ( which I mentioned before the reason ) he answered me : oh really ? Really ? I will move if I were you , it's you want to choose the higher floor suite , you shouldn't choose 628 right from the beginning !
Yes, you didn't read wrong , that's exactly the manager Mr.Edgar Labadiaof the hotel blaming the guests shouldn't choose higher floor suite from the beginning , (actually i didnt choose the room, they assign to us without checking the room before they sell ) my jaw was really open widely and telling him I won't accept this kind of attitude and also keep questioning me like a prisoner ! Then he goes on with:Really?Really ? this kind of way to deny my feelings plus telling me : "Our guests are always happy" as if we are the only one so different from others ! I told him I will write my critics at trip advisor and other forums then he said: go ahead, but you better write the truth ! Yes, that's what he said and thats what I am doing now , I addressed him with Mr or Manager and he said you most of the time ! It is so hard to believe a hotel manager so disrespectful and mean to the customers ,we feel so insulted ! And we pay more just want to stay at a junior suite !! I am not even mention about the service here, no one greets you at all at the lobby as if you are not exist . We travelers go for holidays most of the time just want to enjoy the time also the money we paid for the value ! If you pay the money for a junior suite then you got blamed don't choose a 2nd floor suite ( he called upgrade actually the cut is not nice compare to junior suite ) or higher floor standard room, what exactly is the hospitality business offered? Don't even mentioned about the threaten way and arrogant questioning way to the customer ! That really frightened us ! Spending nearly 250 USD ( 172€ ) per night for the junior suite just want to enjoy the view and balcony and it seems not possible!
I try to be really calm and polite telling this manager that I have no intention talking to him any longer cause I don't need this kind of threaten and demanding arrogant attitude , surely he agreed and hung up the phone !
I wait for one more day to see if the management do anything , and no news from anyone and surely nobody repair the roof !
The holiday at this hotel is totally ruined !!
If you want to have a nice view with good condition, be lucky , if you are not lucky , be aware of this manager with a way of arrogant attitude and threats !
Never return and definitely a No Go!
Try the others much better one and cheaper with great service such as
Hotel Platjador

• Stayed October 2013
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights in late September. I had a "mountain view" ("vista de montana") room which faced inland. The room was large and comfortable. There was an excellent breakfast buffet which had everything from smoked salmon to yogurt until 10am each morning. The hotel is located right on Calle de la Ribera which is the road along the beach front (malecon) esplanade. There are so many good restaurants right along Calle de la Ribera and a few blocks inland. Plus great shopping and sightseeing.

Room Tip: If you plan to spend time in your room (reading, relaxing) I would suggest getting a room with the b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sherborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Calipolis is in a great location , we found the staff all very friendly and spoke very good English . Rooms were clean and spacious. Although pool is small ,it was quite adequate for quick dip and cool off ,with the beautiful beach just across the road a large pool is not needed.
Breakfast was delicious with a huge variety to choose from .
Our experience was an all together good one but I would agree that some noise can be heard at night from the street.
However, I would still highly recommend the Calipolis and hope to return next year

Room Tip: Sea view are best choice -although we had side sea view which was fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

6th year attending Sitges and have tried a number of hotels. I thought i would try this hotel after mixed reviews. I will try and give a fair review. The staff are polite and speak good English. The hotel is in a good location however for a further 5 minute walk you will find better hotels. The room was clean and the bathroom was to a good standard however the rooms are very basic and not to a 4 star standard. No iron available and there is a charge for the ironing service. The pool is like a bath tub and is ice cold. It is very noisey with very thin walls. The rooms start getting cleaned at approximately 0830 so forget a lay in. Better hotels to stay in are Medium hotel or Antermare for similar cost but better quality and more luxury.

• Stayed September 2013
Heathrow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Mixed feelings about this hotel. If you don't get a sea view room it's not worth paying a premium to stay. The location is fantastic rooms very clean and spacious. Very good choice at breakfast although the hot food was a little cold especially the scrambled egg. Service at the hotel is very hit and miss. Bar staff disinterested and level of service clearly effected by there mood. No iron and iron boards due to health and safety ! Booked via booking.com a double room which we then had to pay a supplement as it was double occupancy. After much arguing and insisting on seeing the manager this was reduced but still annoying. I would stay again but not worth it if you don't get a room to enjoy the view.

• Stayed August 2013
Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Ignore some of the reports. The Hotel staff are excellent all speak English. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was lovely very modern and large with huge balcony overlooking the sea.I will agree that there is a lot of noise from other rooms but i spoke to the reception about it and they were pleased that we had raised the problem.Perfect for walking around to see this wonderful town with fabulous bars and restaurants will be coming back.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on first floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Calipolis? Share your experiences!