“Noisy, dear, but correct when wearing ear plugs” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Calipolis

Save Saved
You added Hotel Calipolis to your Saves list
Hotel Calipolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Sofia 2-6 | Paseo Martimo s/n, 08870 Sitges, Spain   |
Ranked #15 of 38 hotels in Sitges
Paris, France
“Noisy, dear, but correct when wearing ear plugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel saved me from the Terramar. Rather expensive, and reception staff a bit too formal and not willing to discuss rates, but all in all correct. Nice bathroom, but street noise and noise from other rooms as well so I ended up byuing some ear plugs, which was a good investment. The floor surface in the rooms are made of ceramic tiles, and they did not have any tissue on the rear ends of the furniture. So every time somebody in the neighboring rooms moved a chair, or the cleaning staff did their work, it sounded like an earthquake. But with ear plugs you're saved!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Overall, I liked my six-night stay at Calipolis. I disagree with the need for renovation some other reviewers mention as I thought the place was very clean and maintained. I booked a reservation over Expedia. I usually never do this as I prefer to deal with hotels directly. Expedia had my reservation as booked. When I arrived at the hotel after traveling all day from the US, the front desk had no record of my reservation. With a little research I was good to go and this involved me e-mailing the Expedia confirm to the desk manager. I was set up on the 7th floor room 727. By standards the room was small, but nicely decorated, basic and clean. The bathroom was fresh and clean. The balcony of the room was twice the size of the actual room itself and overlooked the sea and city. My room service every day was very good, including the refresh of the minibar. Noise level was ok, with most of the noise I experienced coming from floors above moving balcony furniture. The walls are not totally soundproofed and only one night I heard voices from the adjacent room (why I travel with 33db earplugs). Overall I would say it was what I expected, no disappointments, friendly staff and average value for what I paid. I would recommend this hotel as it's a 5 minute walk to the center and opposite the main beach. Location is perfect.

Room Tip: Definitely request a higher floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This was my fourth stay in this hotel and it's starting to look like this hotel would be in a dire need of renovation. The overall decor and surfaces are beging to look really old and tired. Not to mention the bathrooms that are never dry and are like steamrooms for the rest of the stay right after the first shower.

The double bed in the delux sea view room had a huge crack in the middle of the bed so if you want to sleep close to the one close to your heart you'll have to settle with half of the bed.

+ be sure to leave tip for the room's cleaner to get the service you need.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel Calipolis for a week in mid June in a Junior Suite and then a Suite. They were similar except the Suite had a separate bedroom. The reason we switched is simply that we extended our stay because we loved Sitges so much and had met new friends there, and the Junior Suite wasn't available.
Both rooms were facing the beach with lovely balconies. The rooms themselves were a little tired and we expected this based on photos. The bed wasn't the most comfortable and the couch in the Suite looked like it was from the 80's. The rooms were generally clean and staff were always friendly. Management had been kind enough to organise a car for us from Barcelona Airport before we left Australia.
We tried the breakfast twice and it was nice.
The key to this hotel was its location. It was directly across the road from the gay beach and an easy walk to the restaurants and bars. It would be great if management started a refurbishment of the hotel and modernised this place, because it would attract even more people.

This link is a video we took of the view from our balcony:

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have recently stayed at the Hotel Calipolis and am writing to speak to the excellent attention and administrative effort from the Director de Alojamiento, Edgar Labadia. This fine gentleman was truly thorough and fair with a business matter from my recent stay in Sitges. I would highly recommend the Hotel Calioplis for many reasons and would state that all the guests are better served by the attention to detail and business prowess of Edgar. His attention to the customer needs is beyond reproach.

James B, Toronto ON

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Great location and awesome views of ocean and great restaurants only second from hotel. Room is very uncomfortable, bed is like a rock and room is not very clean. Bed cover has stains on it....really gross. This is definitely not a 4-star!

• Stayed September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I just spent a 5-day break in Sitges at the Calipolis, where I've stayed twice before and even gave an excellent review last year. Unfortunately, my stay here this third time will be my last owing to the fact that I splurged for a suite and was given a room that distinctly smelled of sewage (627). The hotel clerks were aware of the problem ("It's because of the rain," they explained). I was shocked that they knowingly put guests in a room with a sewage problem, which wasn't the case in all rooms, including a friend's suite on another floor. I had put up with the smell until I lost patience, at which time they offered me a suite on a lower floor that reeked of smoke! ("Yes, it does" admitted one of the desk attendants who came to show us the room. Third try, we were put in a second floor suite with limited views. No problems here, though with partial beach views, it wasn't what I paid for.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Calipolis? Share your experiences!