“Fantastic!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Fantastic!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Everything exceeded every expectation, fantastic! We had a great evening, more than wait a half year waiting!!

• Visited December 2013

• Polish first
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

The feast menu had no consistency and none of the dishes are to be remembered. However, I could see people loving it because they have to justify having spent over 300euros each including wine.

The service was poor, they brought me the wrong vintage for the wine I selected, the waiter could barely speak English and was incapable of describing any of the dishes.

Will not come back

Visited March 2014
scotland
“Add a dining experience at El Celler De Can Roca to your bucket list immediately!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

In early 2013 I began researching where I might take my lovely husband to celebrate a special birthday dinner later in the year. The obvious choice was the (then) World’s Best Restaurant. However, we happened to watch a documentary on television which highlighted this restaurant’s visit to a prestigious London hotel where guests were served live aunts. As I listened to my husband’s response - ‘Live aunts! Surely the gastronomic equivalent to Tracy Emin’s unmade bed!’- I decided, best in the world or not, this was not my husband’s idea of a divine dining experience. So I began reading about El Celler De Can Roca. Billed as traditional Catalan with a twist, I decided that this was more to my husband’s taste and I booked a table. Imagine how lucky I felt when, in the period between making the reservation and the timing of our meal, El Celler leapfrogged into top position on The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list!

There is always the worry that high expectations will result in disappointment when one visits such a highly acclaimed establishment, but disappointed we were not. From start to finish, this was one of the most memorable dining experiences we have encountered. The theatre began when we were presented with a paper globe which opened to reveal five delightful little canapés reflecting flavours from around the world (three for little old vegetarian me – my only miniscule criticism). Particular highlights included Mexico – a tantalising sphere of mole poblano and guacamole, and Morocco – crisp pastry filled with almond, rose, honey, saffron, ras el hanout and goat yogurt. The gastronomic delights continued to roll out for three tongue tingling, lip smacking hours. Stand out offerings included the truffled bombon and the boletus edulis’s brioche. My vegetable stock with sprouts, flowers, leaves and fruits was as visually stunning as it tasted, and my husband still fondly recalls his red mullet stuffed with liver, served with fish broth, potato gnocchi, orange, chervil and saffron. The paired wines were sensational and we were happily intoxicated (by wine and delight!) at the end of our memorable meal.

The cherry on top came in the form of the humble and affable Joan Roca, who visited our table to enquire if we were enjoying our meal. We noticed him chat amiably with the waiting staff as well as the guests. And it was this, the total and utter lack of ego, coupled with the efficient yet unstuffy or unobtrusive service, combined with some of the most imaginative food we have ever eaten, that made this a truly memorable experience. At El Celler De Can Roca the food speaks for itself. Yes, it is expensive, but not when you compare it to some other fine dining establishments around the world.

Add a dining experience here to your bucket list immediately!!

• Visited October 2013
Medellin
“Simply the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Frankly one of the most memorable meals of my life. We took a cab from Barcelona and the long ride and expensive fair was 100% worth it. This place is magical, it really is. I will never forget starting our evening in the bar sipping on cava, a whimsical presentation of caramelized stuffed olives brought to our table, dangling from a small, hand crafted tree.

All of the courses in the tasting menu were amazingly conceptualized, beautifully presented, well executed and bursting with flavor. Everything is inventive, creative, new flavors, new techniques. Great variety from one course to the next. The wine pairings were divine. I am not a huge red wine drinker, although I love wine and appreciate good reds, and was really impressed with the special focus on local sherrys and white wines; all the wine pairings were spot on.

We met all three of the Roca brothers upon our visit which made things feel all the more special and I even purchased one of Jordi Roca's parfumes after our amazing meal. I still have some left and every time I spray that tantalizing mist on myself, it transports me to that magical evening. Yes, the bill is hefty but it's worth it, totally worth it. It's not just a dinner or a special meal, it's a gastronomic experience.

If I had to get really nit-picky, the only slightly negative critique would be the stiffness of the service. Although they never missed a beat and were essentially flawless with everything, I personally prefer a little more charisma and personality from the service staff but I admit that service style goes accordingly with the restaurant.

All in all a ridiculously memorable and delicious experience! 110% recommended!!

• Visited November 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Sensational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I made our booking for Can Roca in March of 2013 before the restaurant awards were announced. Whew, if I’d left it a month a Saturday night booking in February this year would be impossible.

We have enjoyed the delights of the highly talented Roca brothers before, lunch in 2010 and at that time were able to get a table with 3 weeks notice even though it held “number two” then. Things have changed!

We were so excited about this evening. We had planned a holiday around it (skiing in Baquiera Beret and finishing with a night in Girona) for a wedding anniversary. To ski in the morning and dine at El Celler de Can Roca that same night……one of the best days of my life.

We rocked up on the dot at 9pm. The restaurant was beautifully lit, it is a stunning setting anyway however the night light sets it of magnificently. There was the usual mix of casual and more formal dress being worn. In Spain things are so relaxed. You are as welcome in jeans as you are in a suit. This relaxed take on life means you actually ENJOY a night at a high end place rather than feeling stifled by stuffiness and formality.

I have to make first mention about the olive tree. When I had the olives in 2010 they were a bit sweet for me, not great balance and wasn’t going to waste precious stomach space but tried on encouragement from Andy and geez, we knew we were in for a night. They are now spectacular. They’ve been tweaked I’m sure of it. The boys mean business.

We went for the Menu Festival as we had tried a number of dishes already on their classic menu. On reflection I think this decision made the night even more exceptional.

What was to follow was course after course of complete perfection. COMPLETE PERFECTION. Oh did I mention complete perfection?? We were gob smacked. The seafood dishes were sublime. The cured mackerel in particular was a taste, texture and visual sensation. The white asparagus with truffle looked the plainest on the menu but by god did it pack a flavour punch.

The portion sizes of the Festival Menu were judged impeccably. Even I managed to finish almost every mouthful and I can be a teeny bit of a wimp when it comes to 20 course menus! It’s hard to imagine how gorgeous and light each course was. Elegant feminine food with a sensational mix of flavour and texture.

Timing too was spot on. We have felt rushed in the past with changeover of food happing so quickly it’s confusing and filling. Not here. Everything was so fluid. Service was faultless.

Jordi’s desserts were the standout for me on my last visit and so I was making sure I had room in my tummy for every last bit. I was blown away.

I can’t describe everything, it’s crazy to attempt that but I can say we had the most fun, and satisfying meal in our lives. Every one of our senses were taken care of and I feel privileged to have experienced this level of dining and atmosphere.

Oh and Andy bought me two bottles of Jordi’s lemon purfume. It is delicious – just like his desserts perfectly judged balanced.

We stumbled out at 0130am into the taxi with a lifetime memory under our belts.

• Visited February 2014