“Mind-blowing” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
London
“Mind-blowing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was a 50th birthday treat from my wife, and had to be booked so far in advance that it was closer to my 51st, but it was well worth the wait. The feast may sound excessive at 14 courses, plus wine, but the courses are not big and the intricacy, delicacy and quality of each course made each one a delight. The service is relaxed but attentive, the room has a great atmosphere and a lot of glass with trees outside lit up to give a feeling of being outside. I would put this up there as one of the very best, and possibly the best. Plus, Girona is a very agreeable place to spend a weekend.

• Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“An Otherworldly experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I made reservations to eat lunch at El Celler de Can Roca 5 months before we went through email. This was before the restaurant was named the #1 in the world, at that point it was #2. It may take longer to get a reservation now. The experience was definitely something I have never gone through before, it was very interesting, well thought out and the service was remarkable. We choose the Festival menu, which consisted of 14 courses plus appetizers that were on top of that. Overall we must have been served 17-18 different dishes. We started at 1:30pm and were there until 5:30pm, so overall a very long meal. The taster menu was much shorter however we decided that we would go with the feast menu in order to really get the most out of our experience. The servers were very attentive. They were very friendly, took the time to explain each dish, and there was not much of a wait time between each course. The food was not only delicious but a work of art, the presentation thought out just as much as taste. For a completely new experience with food, I would definitely recommend a visit to El Celler de Can Roca if you are in Spain.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“World beater if you're a foodish eater.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Moi ? Not yer typical diner for the Can. In gastro terms, I drag my knuckles along the ground behind me as I go ( lurve Pizza Express ! ), but when my chum announced he'd got a table ( in fact a private room ) on a cancellation at the World's best restaurant, it has to be done.

We went for the € 155 tasting menu and I have to say received exemplary service, constant attention, fast moving menu and highly informative wine commentary. If one can say such things, looking back, it really did represent pretty good value. My favourite was the sole with olive oil, fennel, bergamot, orange, pine nuts and green olives. That was to me the impact of the Can, introducing or emphasising flavours that appealed from nowhere - e.g. bergamot, the stuff that seems to give Earl Grey some of its taste. Only mild rebuke - the plate of petit fours that finished the meal weren't great.

For me its back to Pizza Express, but if you get the chance, do the Can !

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Let down by imperfect service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I had been looking forward to this dinner for months and so it was a big shame that i had a bit of a cold on the night.

We chose the tasting menu (now €155 pp plus wine) and i cannot imagine how anyone can eat the much larger €190 pp plus wine ceast menu!

The amuse bouche were beautifully presented as were all of the dishes.

My main issues with our dinner were 1. The saltiness of several dishes - far too much for my palette (even with a taste-dulling cold) and 2. The service.

The service was really let down by two main things - a waiter smashed a glass, bits of which landed on my husband and his chair and we were overcharged €40 due to waiter transposing numbers in the bill.

We got an apology and a cash payment to rectify the overcharge but these things really should not happen to spoil a special dinner at the "best" restaurant in the world!

The food was all beautifully

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When we visited in was number 5 but I can see why it is now number one. Service levels outstanding - wine list the longest I have seen (it is three volumes with its own trolley), aperitifs and little tasters before our main degustation service were an unexpected pleasant surprise.
Amazing value and food, the cigar flavoured ice cream dessert was amazing. Can't wait to go back but I guess the prices will have gone up and booking will be much harder now.

• Visited October 2012