“Speechless” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
LA
“Speechless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've been to many excellent restaurants, and consider myself a foodie (not in a snobby way - I simply love good food).

I was very fortunate to secure a lst-minute reservation when there was a cancellation.

The food is not only extraordinary, but a true experience. The service and attention to detail are unparalleled. It's brilliance and art. I know it sounds overblown, but I really don't have the words to properly describe the experience properly.

There is a choice between 2 menus - 7 course and 11 course. I generally don't go for wine pairings, but I did, and was thrilled that I did as each wine was truly a perfect compliment to each dish.

I was given a tour of the kitchen; I've worked in a few restaurants over the years, and this is far and away the most spectacular I've ever seen. Not only did the tour feel social, but afforded me a glimpse into the intensely creative process and attention to detail that goes on at what is commonly referred to as the number 2 restaurant in the world.

The service was impeccable. Each dish was presented with a full description of the ingredients, preparation, and suggestions on how best to enjoy. The team was truly incredible.

As I departed I was thanked personally by 2 of the 3 brothers..... Unreal!

Can Roca raised the bar on every experience I've had (and will have). If you have the opportunity (or can make a special trip), I can't recommend it enough.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
Los Angeles
“Oh so that’s what it takes to be #2 in the world...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

OK. So I’ve eaten in well-regarded restaurants for years. Enjoyable for the most part. However, until I had the experience of a “tasting” menu at El Celler de Can Roca, I really didn’t have an appreciation of what it takes to be #2 in the world. I can’t even imagine what’s happening in the kitchens at #1.

First of all, I had the privilege of touring the kitchen with the gracious gentlemen, Chef Joan Roca. It was quite an experience. All I remember is a series of sparkling stainless steel mini kitchens for specific purposes and a bevy of chefs busily preparing the magnificent menus. There was a large “backroom” where the very special touches were being added to the foods. I’m not talking a sprig of parsley here or a just squirt of a reduction, I’m talking art.

Your server is your willing guide to the treasures you are about to eat...and drink. Each course of the tasting menu is paired with the perfect wine. I won’t bore you with the details but from the tiny canapes, each representing a place in the world, where Chef Roca spent time...to the bonsai olive tree with dangling carmelized olives...to the sole with five outrageously good sauces,,,to the desserts, it was breathtaking and beyond delicious. Even the serving dishes matched the course. Each unique and different. The meal ends with a visit from a grand dessert cart (after you’ve had two desserts, by the way) filled with lovely petite delicacies. Your choice is put on a mirrored serving dish.

Before leaving we were given a tour of the impressive wine cellar...a separate building with tiny alcoves to help you understand the circumstances surrounding the growth and character of wines from different regions. I must say that it was a memorable day in this lovely gastronomic paradise. I can’t tell you what it cost since it was part of my wonderful, personalized tour of Catalonia with Spain Taste; however, whatever the price, the experience was truly priceless.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Gastronomic Brilliance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We visited here as part of our food and drink tour of Spain and France and have to say the whole experience was excellent. The service is efficient and attentive, however unlike other michelin resturants it wasnt intrusive. Each dish was explained and the ideas behind it and then you were left to enjoy the flavours and creations. We both had the feast course which is 9 courses of sheer delight. The ideas and inspirations are amazing and the execuion of the dishes was brilliant. They dont rely on all the show and dry ice etc that other places we have eaten do. They rely on the quality of the produce and the creativity of the dish. Our favourite course had to be the white asparagus and truffle ice cream. Totally devine and worth going back for that. Other dlight were the lamb with seetbreads, doesnt sound nice but was delicious, the pork belly and the fish.

You do have to book well in advance though, we did 9 months prior and we got one of the last few tables!

Overall a fantastic experience, relaxed attentive service and superb food and not as expensive as you would think. We paid 430 euro's for the feast course, bottle of wine and a large brandy. They even give complimentary cava out on arrival!!

If your a food lover then this is a definate must.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Incredible flavours, fabulous dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked this some 8 months ago. I was worried that it would be another 'stuffy' dining experience in a Michelin-starred restaurant. Well, it wasn't. Far from it. The restaurant itself is very sleek. The service is great without being too pompous ( which i hate).We went for the 'Feast' menu with matching wines. If you are going to eat in a restaurant like this, you might as well go for the full treatment. The flavours combinations were incredible. If I had to pick on anything it would be fact that our waitress did not really know which part of the Iberian suckling pig was in our plate. In a place such as this, you really need to know your stuff. Josep Roca, front of the house and one of the 3 brothers to run this restaurant, gave us a quick tour of e kitchen afterwards. This for me was a 10 out of 10.

Ormskirk
“An A to Z of an amazing meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

A amazing. Look it up in the dictionary. Amazing.
B best meal ever. Fact. Also booking...well in advance...
C chilled atmosphere - even a pleb like me was welcome
D delicious, natch...every mouthful
E elegant...food, building, staff , service...everything about the evening
F flashbacks...it's over a month now, and I'm still remembering mouthfuls
G grateful they allowed me in, received me with such hospitality and blinded me with the food
H how the hell have they done that?
I love this place
Mmmmmm
N non-intimidating for ordinary gastronauts -no need to overdress
O outstanding in terms of food, service, venue, value for money; once a life time (minimum)
P privileged to eat here and to see the kitchens before service...one advantage to being 20 minutes early...
Q quirkiness...especially the architecture of the dining area
R relaxed atmosphere and repeat - please...
S service is outstanding...and I need a sous-vide
T treat yourself...this is (see A)
U unique...again, dictionary definition
V very good value for money; if this place was local, I would live off tripe and onions to eat there every 6 months
W welcoming, warm...and the wines....
X x-factor? Oh yes...
Y yeah, I would give my eye teeth to eat there again
Z zzzz-the best night's sleep I've had for ages afterwards...