“Great choice by Spanish Trails” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Late Night
Somerset, New Jersey
“Great choice by Spanish Trails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We were brought to this restaurant by Charles of Spanish trails and it was delicious..from the ingredients to make our own Pan con Tomate, to the mixed grill, fish and other meals served on the grill, to the desserts. the wines were great too! All and all a very special meal in the beautiful town of Girona!

Visited June 2012

El Dorado Hills, CA
“A Very Enjoyable Lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We also stopped here for lunch with our tour to Girona with Spanish Trails Day Tours. Spanish Trails has selected a perfect choice for their guests. It is charming and casual, with wooden tables and checkered cloths and a large grill in the center of the restaurant where you can watch and smell all the delicious choices being prepared. No English menus here - and maybe no Spanish ones either! We were the only tourists in the restaurant.

The meal begins with you making your own Pan Con Tomate. All the ingredients are left on the table for you to prepare and adjust according to your own tastes. Lots of fun. Start by rubbing a garlic clove on the bread if you like, then take a tomato out of the bowl, cut in half, and rub firmly back and forth on the bread to capture the juice and pulp. Then drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and eat. Delicious! Also a wonderful Catalan version of aioli is brought to the table to dip your bread into, and some small bowls of olives.

I began with the Gazpacho and it was excellent. For my main course I selected the mixed grill plate which included chicken, veal ribs, sausage and a roasted potato. My husband ate lighter and had a goat cheese salad (the cheese is made in-house) and an appetizer portion of cannelloni and enjoyed his equally as well.

The restaurant automatically serves a lovely cold red wine but my husband wanted white and they brought a bottle of that as well. Dessert and coffee followed – and all of this was contained in the cost of our day tour with Spanish Trails. Exceptional value all totaled.

This restaurant felt authentic and I would recommend it to anyone staying in Girona – and again commend Spanish Trails for choosing this luncheon spot for their tour guests.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Galway
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This restaurant has a visible grill where food is cooked. Other diners seemed to be locals, watching large TV screen showing a soccer game( Barcelona playing) We ordered duck and veal steak , requesting they be well done. For the bread- we received toast. The duck and veal were rare. The dessert was very basic. We had a bottle of wine and the whole meal was 80 eu-bad value . Would neither return or recommend it.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mountain View, Arkansas
“One of our favorite meals during our week in Spain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

My wife and I stopped in for lunch at L'argada on our tour to Girona on Spanish Trails Day Tours with two other couples. With the assistance of our tour guide we ordered our meals, several items of which were grilled. We started with tomato bread, which was the best that we had on our trip to Spain because it was crispy. We rubbed our own garlic and tomato on the bread.

We saw that they had calcots, so Derek our guide, ordered some for us. Eating the calcots was a highlight of my lunch. Dipping the peeled calcots into the romesco sauce and then holding it up to lower it into your mouth was part of the fun. They were delicious.

I had the grilled sausage and grilled vegetables for my entree and a baked apple for dessert. My wife and I agreed that this was one of our favorite meals on our week in Spain. The menu del dia was very good at L'argada.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Strongsville, Ohio
“Delicious food prepared over hard-oak briquettes..unusual treat for me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I ate here with a group of five people on a tour visiting Girona and Figueres, and the food was quite delicious, ranging from the large appetizer plate to the excellent Creme Catalun for dessert. The restaurant was filled with the pleasant odor of the oak used for grilling the food, and my main course was a local fish somewhat similar to hake, although there were many bones. The service by the two attractive waitresses and the owner was very prompt; it helped that we had a native-born guide to help explain the menu and the food to us; without him we would have probably gone elsewhere! I enjoyed the experience very much!

• Visited November 2011