“Good dishes, but priced too high” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Picnic Restaurant

Picnic Restaurant
1 Carrer del Comerc, 08003 Barcelona, Spain (El Born / La Ribera)
+34935 116 661
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Born / La Ribera
Barcelona, Spain
“Good dishes, but priced too high”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

There isn't a single local authentic dish on the menu of Picnic, but that's okay, because people go there for brunch and their expat/tourist/foreigner menu. Everything I've had has been quite tasty and I would recommend it on that alone. The problem is the prices. They've had a few favorable reviews since opening and the prices have steadily crept upwards to a point of bordering on ridiculous. Two people might be able to get away from there with spending 30€ on brunch, but that's without drinks and not really being full.

Their other big problem is that while they have a pile of staff, their attentiveness isn't top notch with ordering and getting the bill both taking a rather undue amount of time. A suggestion to Picnic: lose some of the staff, drop the prices a euro or two and be continually full and successful all the time--as a local, I'd love that. Otherwise, there isn't much reason for me to go there as I can find these dishes in any decent sized town in the United States and for a great deal less.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston
“Best breakfast we had in Barcelona”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm hard-pressed to give a place like this five stars just because I loved my meal. That's misleading for a modest restaurant that does what it does at a superior level. But I have to agree that this was an oasis, especially for an American. The chef/owner is Australian, and it was a real treat to find this place.

We were there only for breakfast, and we were delighted to find pancakes (with creme fraiche and marinated pear) and french toast (with grilled bananas) on the menu. We also ordered a side of the quinoa hash browns, which I recommend! What an inventive little place. The coffee was the best I had the whole trip: real American coffee (although it was actually Italian beans, I was told)!

I don't know what exact style you would call this restaurant, but it pleased my American palate greatly while still seeming exotic. It was a good break from the Spanish/Catalan food or from the tourist restaurants that attempted to cater to Americans and were so mediocre. Picnic is its own, rare thing in Barcelona. I only wish we had discovered it earlier in our trip so we could have tried dinner there.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Good brunch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We went for brunch and really enjoyed it. The pulled pork sandwich was great, and eggs benedict too. Not too big portions though.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sligo, Ireland
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

First of all let me say, that we run our own cafe in Ireland, and as a result can be quite . But not with Picnic! It was just so perfect! We celebrated a 30th bday there on NYE. It was so inspiring from the food to the decor. Being served seadfood bisque in a jar was outstanding, our lamb was sooooo succulent I still don't know how they did it. With amazing live music and wild flowers everywhere it was the kind of place I want to own! Service, food and style is brilliant. Highly recomend!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“an oasis in the midst of Barcelona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were pleasantly suprised when we decided to take a break from our adventures in Barcelona and set our sites on the quaint downtown restaraunt Picnic. The staff welcomed us with open arms and seated us promptly. The eclectic neuvo menu offered a mouth watering array of fresh foods from around the world with a Spanish twist. The staff recommended a sparkling rose wine from the region which complemented the food perfectly - great choice! What really impressed us was that the owners stopped by our table to ask how things were and chatted with us for a while.
We will definitely put Picnic on our itinerary when we visit Barcelona again.
Kudos!!!!
Rubens and Steve from NY

P.S. Several locals told us that the Sunday brunch at Picnic is a big hit.

• Visited September 2012