“Veggie Delight...Don't miss!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Sesamo

Restaurante Sesamo
Sant Antoni Abat, 52, 08001 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)
+34 934416411
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Restaurante Sesamo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #119 of 6,373 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Tapas, Vegan, Vegetarian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: El Raval
Singapore, Singapore
“Veggie Delight...Don't miss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Decided to go here based on reviews we had read and here we are raving about the food two weeks later. This place is fantastic! Don't be misled by it's offbeat location and low key appearance, the food will blow you away. We had drinks, tapas, mains and desserts and each course was outstanding. We had some unique dishes which seem odd on the menu BUT were an absolute delight - smoked watermelon gazpacho, gnocchi with beetroot sauce (kids LOVED it), pumpkin pie and rice balls with pesto. The service was great and the waiter (and the owner too) are more than happy to make recommendations. Would love to go back here the next time we are in Barcelona. MUST GO!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Greek first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian tapas to die for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

As a vegetarian, eating in Spain can be a bit tricky. My carnivorous boyfriend has no problem, but I have found myself living on (albeit delicious) cheese, patatas bravas, and tomato bread. My (also veggie) brother recommended this place, and we asked our hotel to book us a table for the same evening -- confusing the woman behind the desk into thinking that our name (and the name of booking) was Sesamo. On arrival, we were impressed by the modern, cosy decor -- particularly the drawing of a monster on the wall. But most of all we were impressed by the food. It's rare that a meat-eater enjoys veggie food, but my boyfriend loved it too. We had the tasting menu, which is brilliant value at 25 euros for 7 courses plus dessert (and actually, we were given 8!), as well as two glasses of wine each and a bottle of water. Highlights were watermelon gazpacho, a melt in the mouth mushroom croquette, a delicious (and surprising) aubergine curry similar to that my partner's Sri Lankan mum cooks, and the softest beetroot and gorgonzola gnocchi. My brother recommended the gin and tonics on offer -- and we were not disappointed: one with star anise, another with rosemary and olives. Some of the best vegetarian food I've had -- an absolutely wonderful meal.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winnipeg
“great vegetarian tapas bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Great selection of vegetarian tapas! It was nice to find this restaurant, as all other restaurant tapas include meat in one form or another. Loved the beet root gnocchi and the arancini :) Highly recommend this restaurant. Make reservations, as the restaurant is quite small.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Wonderful food !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We came to Sesamo a little after 7 pm and were the first people there. After reading reviews about tasting menus we decided to order it. Everything was so delicious and my kids (who don't eat mushrooms and hate eggplant) were in love with food, even dishes made mainly of those ingredients!!!! And you will be full at the end even though the plates are small. Definitely coming back. The chef is from Argentina, but all of his creations are from around the world!!! Love it!!!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“I think I'm going to have dreams about this restaurant...forever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We came to Barcelona as a group of four vegetarians, so we'd made an effort to find out about good vegetarian-only places beforehand, and Sesamo was a name that kept cropping up. On the last night of the trip we finally made it here (note that it's only open on an evening - don't do what we did at first and turn up at 3pm, absolutely starving) and we were surprised to find that it's a little bit fancier than we were expecting from the outside, and therefore slightly more pricey, but what the hell, we were on holiday!

There was a menu board outside advertising a 'tasting menu' in which we'd get seven tapas plates, a dessert to share, and two drinks for 25 euros. We figured that was a pretty good deal, and oh my god, it really, really was. The lovely waitress explained to us that the chef would choose the plates for us, but took on board our requests for certain foods to be left out. Our first dish arrived within minutes - a smoked watermelon gazpacho that sounds odd, but was absolutely AMAZING!

The rest of the dishes came out one by one, which isn't like many other tapas places where they are all served at once, but it gave us the chance to actually enjoy them rather than rushing them down before the food could go cold. It also meant that by the time the last plate arrived we were stuffed! I can't remember the exact details of each dish but among them were mushroom croquettes, tomato bread with baked cheese and cheese-stuffed gnocchi with a beetroot sauce, and the desserts were tiramisu and another delicious fruity pudding that I can't remember. Whatever, I was at least a couple of glasses of cava deep and too busy stuffing my face with happiness...

Of all the veggie places we ate at in Barcelona - actually, of all the places I've eaten ANYWHERE - Sesamo had the most incredible food, hands down. I wish other restaurants would realise that veggie food can be this imaginative and delicious! We're also pretty sure that we had an extra dish and a glass of booze each thrown in for free, as when the bill arrived we had been charged far less than we expected. It's probably a good thing that Sesamo is in Barcelona and not England, otherwise I'd be extremely fat. And poor.

• Visited June 2014