“Lips a-smacko at Paco's” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Barcelona, Spain
“Lips a-smacko at Paco's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

A very good atmosphere at this fabulous tapas restaurant located in L'Eixample area. It's popular with locals and tourists alike, though it is not located near any major tourist hotspots (thankfully - otherwise you'd never get a seat). We are expats living in Barcelona and came here at the recommendation of a Catalan friend. It's the kind of place where coming with a local would probably enhance the experience considerably, allowing you to perhaps venture out from the more usual tapas choices. We turned up seconds after opening at 1 pm on a Monday and when they asked us for our reservation, we thought they weren't serious - that was until half an hour later when the place was packed like a tin of anchovies and we realised reserving would have been a very good idea.

It is super-clean and decorated in expensive neutrals, high tables and chairs, with attentive waiters who could perhaps explain some of the dishes a little more willingly - especially if you're speaking Spanish to them - but overall no complaints with the service. The tables around the bar area are quite closely packed but there are hooks under them for handbags and as long as you are careful, you won't be knocked into when a waiter zooms past with wonderful-smelling dishes for the table beyond.

So onto the menu. There is a blackboard with daily specials which they rotate (the specials, not the blackboard!) and so you have the pleasure of seeing what's on offer on days and weeks to come and can make your return visit plans accordingly. Today happened to be a pork with mushroom casserole, served with bread, which we chose along with some more standard dishes.

We also enjoyed the pan con tomate, which smelled as good as it tasted, and the patatas bravas with the restaurant's own play on the traditional sauce which happened to be so laden with garlic, I couldn't finish mine. The asparagus was cooked to perfection and we also had two traditional puddings and a sorbet, which were enjoyable but nothing out of the ordinary.

The bill came to 42 euro for us - not the cheapest lunch, considering all the menus del dia in Barcelona, but a meal to be savoured in nice surroundings.

So the conclusion? We would definitely return and are already looking forward to the next time we can tantalise our taste buds. Reserve your table and enjoy excellent tapas a la Paco!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Catalan bar/restaurant for lone travelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Very well-loved local place, where I ate 3 times. Menus in 3 languages, and helpful waiters. I reccomend sittig at the bar, where you can see food and lively waiter/patron interactions - with the all-male, friendly and humoous staff. Not lonely at all. I never reserved, but usually waited just 5 minutes(nights at 9 PM.)Food was origial, very new for me( try grilled rabbit rib chops in (great) olive oil with garlic. Or tiny calamares in sauce. Or grilled seasonal vegetables in olive oil with Catalan sauce. Great wine choices - I like Spanih red wine anyway I never paid over €20 for 3 tapas plus glass/wine, but I did sit next to an attractive local couple who ate their way through the menu and 2 bottles of wine and had a bill over €120.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Just so so!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stopped here to enjoy a few tapas for a Saturday lunch. This is a very popular restaurant for the locals. We waited about 15 minutes for a seat at the bar, which I recommend. The food was okay. We had Bravidas, Fried Artichoke and Tomato Bread. My husband ordered a glass of sangria, but the waiter brought him a pitcher rather than a glass. As I don't like Sangria, it was a bit much. When we mentioned to our hotel concierge about the pitcher of Sangria, he was surprised a nice place like Paco Meralgo would do something like that. He said that was more common for the restaurants along the Ramblas, not a nice restaurant at Paco Meralgo. I do not typically complain about service in my reviews, but from the host to the servers, we just didn't feel the warm friendly energy, which is so common in Barcelona. We only planned on ordering about 2 - 3 tapas, as we were heading to another nearby restaurant (Atapa-it……check it out!), and the wait staff seemed so put off by our limited order. I would definitely not go back to this restaurant as the food was just okay and the employees just didn't seem to be enjoying their jobs. Barcelona is such a beautiful city and there are so many other wonderful restaurants to enjoy….such as Ciudad Condal. I hope this helps!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We passed by this place after a quick lunch and got hypnotized by a lady who was eating a dish of fried anchovies. I told my partner that would be our next lunch.
Unfortunately, that day after, there were no anchovies in the menu but the rest of the food was fantastic.
We order local white wine and around 10 small dishes. Not cheap food, but the quality is indeed superb. Fish is extremely fresh. Quality of olive oil is clearly not low.
I highly recommend this place, whose customers are only locals. Service fast and professional.
Despite the atmosphere of a bar it is a restaurant. Therefore, reservation is a must.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Excellent Tappas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a quality restaurant frequented by locals, its not cheap, but the food is extremely tasty, I had some small lobster which was exquisitely sweet

Visited January 2014