“The only place I could find 1 week before MWC, cheap, fair value for money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residencia Universitaria San Marius

You added Residencia Universitaria San Marius to your Saves list
Residencia Universitaria San Marius
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Muntaner, 507, 08022 Barcelona, Spain   |
Ranked #534 of 722 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Munich, Germany
“The only place I could find 1 week before MWC, cheap, fair value for money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

The year I realized I have to go to MWC very late. So all hotels in the price range recommended by my employer were full. I could only find something above 500 euro per night or below 50 euro per night.

I've chosen this hotel from the later, paying attention to location and quality. I've paid 210 euros for the stay, while most of my colleagues were paying more for a single night. I had to pay in advance in cache though.

Location is good - it took me 20 minutes to walk to MWC venue when I wanted to have a walk, and taxi there was around 5 euros. Despite of it's place is called "student residence", it was not noisy, I slept well all 6 nights. May be I was just too tired to notice the noise after meetings and booth duty on MWC.

I would not say it was a bad experience. Staff did not speak English but using international words, gestures and smiles it was possible to communicate. It was tricky to get in to check in but I managed. Everything was clean enough. There was free wifi in my room, and there was a fridge. Having a fridge was handy because on Sunday and Monday I was too tired to go out for dinner and just bought some food in a nearby supermarket.

If you are limited in money or if there is no where else to go like in my case with this MWC, I would certainly recommend this place to stay. It is very basic, but price is cheap too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

i am writing this at the residencia as i speak. my arrival experience was so poor that i thought i would write this as soon as possible so that they either sort out the reservations system and advertise truthfully or someone considering booking has second thoughts and doesnt.

i booked for a sister tostel and ended up here. i only found out that i had been moved as i emailed and asked for details of where the nearest metro station was and if there was a night bus that passed nearby as i was arriving quite late.

i could have very easily arrived and gone to the residence where i was booked up and had to take a taxi to here.

i am travelling with a one year old - as the hostel was advised on booking. i regularly travel with her so it is not normally a problem. it could however have been even worse last night if i had had to bundle her into a taxi or try to walk to the residence with all my luggage and her stroller.

there is only a microwave to heat up food and no sink in the canteen area and NO COOKING FACILITIES.

there is a fridge in the room.

the bedroom had NO TV as they had advertised.

i booked a double room for single person use (kids go free anyway)
and ended up with a single bed for myself and my little girl to share.

you have to pay on arrival and i had expected to pay by card - but the machine wasnt working so i couldnt.

not very happpy - if i had booked this residencia it might have been okay as i am quiteused to "roughing it" - but i didnt - the hostel i booked looked lovely online and offered lots of facilities.

this one doesnt and there is also only one computer (which i am on at 7am to ensure i get a spot) so i can email booking . com and complain!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Belgrade
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

I was staying couple of nights in San Marius 2 Hostel at
Trav. de Gracia street and it was complete disaster! First of all, the lady that runs this place still dont talk english or any other language than Catallonian, rooms are dirty, its very noisy cause there are lots of young students partying all night, she cannot even give me correct pass for wifi, she did not receive my reservation from barcelona30 agency so there was problems from the start. Also, you have to pay only in cash. Location was not so good, because its far away from nearest metro station, at least 20 min. walking.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Residencia Universitaria San Marius? Share your experiences!