“Great value & location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #476 of 722 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Perth, Australia
“Great value & location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This hostel feels more like a large apartment being shared by many people. There is a central common area and terrace, which can be very noisy at night and heard from the dorm rooms. This was fine for me as i can sleep through anything but for light sleepers would be a problem. The wifi was reliable and there was a computer for free use too. The location was excellent, right near a metro and close to La Rambla's. I was in a large dorm and it was definitely on the cramped side with little room to store personal belongings. However, I was very happy with the value for money.

Make sure you know the address of the place before you go though, as it is not well signposted!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Business
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights at Rambla's Home in March 2010. It was in a fantastic location very close to the metro and right in the middle of great restaurants and shopping. We had a private room and shared the washrooms with everyone else. We had a cute little balcony that would be great in warmer weather.
The room was fairly clean, the walls could definitely use a very good scrub. One suggestion I have would be to have mirrors in all the rooms so people could get ready in their rooms rather than taking up time in the washroom. It's hard to blow dry your hair with no mirror! haha
The continental breakfast was only white toast, some jam and cereal. It would be nice to include more such as maybe a banana, yogurt or cheese.
Staff was very friendly and helpful with any questions.
All in all it was a pleasant stay and a great price!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Stayed at Ramblas home in august for about a week with a girlfriend. we found the place quite clean, the rooms where small and at one point we had 8 people in the same room (it was the co-ed room) for it us it wasnt a problem, the people we met there were great :). The kitchen was always available and clean. the washrooms where decent. the showers a bit old, but they served their function. Internet was available as well, which is always good. We felt comfortable and safe throughout our stay. In all we had a good time there...actually better than I expected! the hostel staff were really helpful and nice. I'd probably go back if I was travelling on a budget.

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

I stayed in the 10 person girls room for two nights and booked because I waited until the last minute and saw good reviews.
Pros: All girls room made me feel more comfortable. Sheets and towels were provided. Community computer available in lounge for use. Very warm, pretty clean, etc. Close to Casa Batlló and Casa Amatller so very centrally located. I felt safe with the location. Also, they provided lockers for you to put your stuff in, and I could fit my duffel and more in there, so plenty of room. Most people I encountered were friendly, so the atmosphere was OK too.
Cons: First of all, although they claim smoking is not allowed, people are allowed to smoke by the window in the lounge, which basically becomes the whole lounge and while it’s not a smoke-filled den, it is still noticeable. Towels provided aren’t exactly the cleanest. There is a charge to use the laundry facilities. Another thing is I guess they shut off the water overnight or something and when I got up early the water ran out in the middle of me brushing my teeth! I went to rinse and there was no more water. Finally had to wake up someone to get him to turn it on and after spurting a bit, brownish yellow water came out for a bit! Gross. Let it run and it will come out clear, but it was still unsettling. Finally at least this dorm room was way over crowded. They definitely should have more room for people.
For 20€ a night it was OK, but by paying a little more I’ve gotten much better deals, so I would recommend shelling out a little more to get the privacy if that’s your thing. I wouldn’t really recommend this unless you were in a similar situation where you were on a budget and with few other options.
Tip: Beds are assigned/picked on a first come first serve basis, so if you want a bottom bunk which is more convenient try to get there early.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of water, smoking
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rambla's Home? Share your experiences!