“fantastic food (definitely book in advance!)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pla

Pla
C/ Bellafila, 5, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic))
+34 934 12 65 52
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #239 of 6,675 Restaurants in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: Warm, intimate, cosy, it offers cuisine inspiredby the Mediterranean but without leaving outinfluences from other cultures.A young and carefree service and an innovative cuisine where,salads, meats, fish and vegetarian options make up a constantlychanging menu thus making it difficult for you to chooseyour favourite dish.
Brussels, Belgium
“fantastic food (definitely book in advance!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Made a reservation here a bit last minute (and during Barcelona's huge end of summer Merce festival!) and they only had one table available. We arrived on time, had to wait about 20 min (they were very busy), but glad we did. My soup of the day (cold cauliflower soup with citrus, lobster, greens, roe, and several other delicious things I cannot remember) and salmorejo (a thick, soup-ish appetizer, but it was very large so I am glad I ordered it as my entree) were amazing. I especially loved the salmorejo - the traditional version is made with bread, tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, and other ingredients, while this one was beet-based, and had roe and chunks of tuna tartare. Beautiful presentation, amazing flavors - definitely the best meal experience during our 2-week vacation in Spain.
My husband's curry pork entree and pan con tomate and Iberian ham appetizers, and his Creme Catalan (creme brulee) dessert were, likewise, fresh, tasty, and beautifully presented.
The restaurant has a lovely ambiance - in a way modern (with slides/views of Barcelona being continuously projected onto one of the walls) but not overly so, such that you feel comfortable and not like being in a modern art show room.
I did not have room for dessert but their options (in addition to my husband's creme brulee, which came with whipped cream, roasted bananas, and crumbled amaretto cookies) looked amazing - there were probably over 15 other choices.
Don't miss this one! If we had more time, I would have liked to try their tapas bar not too far from the restaurant. next time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Cute little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Pla is a unique restaurant, it has character and the food combination is interesting. The highlight of the meal was the foie starter with pear and sorbet, the octopus main with seaweed was also delicious. The special of lemon fish was a bit over cooked though, as was the lamb. These could be improved. The desserts were good. The staff were very nice. It was a very busy restaurant so make sure you book.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Ate at bar, but still impressed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I can only give a half review of pla because I showed up without a reservation and had to sit at the bar. This is my fault as I had already read that it would be packed. However, I really wanted to try the food so we sat at the bar. Service was slow as it was manic so I'm not sure if I can blame the staff, but if they were so busy maybe they should have told us to try elsewhere. The food was really good, inventive, pretty to look at and different. But where it won on inginuity and prettiness of appearance, it slightly lacked on flavour and finesse. My wife had a small bone in the salmon and there was nothing with my steak except over-salted greens and mushrooms. This wasn't cheap either so to pay a lot for pretty food that didn't quite deliver was a bit annoying. However, I would try again as it is so nearly there and I should have made a reservation. It's a great place but not quite amazing yet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was an absolutely gorgeous place to eat. I came here for my birthday in April and I wasn't disappointed as we had oriignally read about this in the Lonely Planet guide.

You have to book in advance as it gets very busy and they don't take bookings on the internet and so you have to call them.

My spanish is pretty non existent, other than to say "do you speak English?", but that was not a problem when calling!!

The service in the restaurant is amazing and the waiter we had could not do enough to please us.

The food itself is excellent and if I was to return to Barcelona, I would definitely go again!

Visited April 2013
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Delicious food, charming atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was one of the best meals we had in Barcelona. Everything from the food, the service and the atmosphere was terrific.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere