“Much better than a tourist trap but not quite top-notch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Biblioteca Gourmande Restaurant

La Biblioteca Gourmande Restaurant
Carrer Junta de Comerc 28, 08001 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval)
+34 934 12 62 21
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
La Biblioteca Gourmande Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,802 of 6,910 Restaurants in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Spanish, Fusion, Tapas, Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Raval
Description: La Biblioteca is placed in the old city center very close to the famous Boqueria Market and 5 minutes away from Les Rambles. Our gastronomic proposal is home style catalan/mediterranean cooking, half portions & tapas, with refined techniques. Almost all of our ingredients are seasonal & from local producers, farmers and fisherman's.
Rheine, Germany
“Much better than a tourist trap but not quite top-notch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The service was friendly and attentive here, the food was creative and varied, but the portions were miniscule for the prices and the steak I had as a main course was tough. The wine menu was fairly extensive and the dessert was outstanding. On the evening we were there it was quiet and relaxed and quite a relief from the tourist bustle a few streets over. Overall a pleasant, though not outstanding, evening.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“A Good Restaurant (Not Great)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

La Biblioteca has warm charming atmosphere in a great space. This is a good spot for a romantic evening. The wine list was impressive and while the appetizers we ordered were creative and delicious neither my girlfriend or I was really that impressed with our main course. We were on vacation so this is only based one one visit.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Barcelona, Spain
“Terrible experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Very disappointing! We felt robbed in our own city.

We were three people and ordered a bottle of wine,a cheese plate, a portion of iberian chorizo and bread to share.
The portions were quite big which was a nice surprise... until the bill came: without telling us in advance they charged us two portions of cheese, three of chorizo and five of bread!!! Almost 100 euros... Incredible! We complained and they told us it was a misunderstanding: this is impossible since we are all speaking the same language and this never happens in other restaurants. Waiters always need to ask you in advance if they believe that what you ordered is not enough.

Please avoid this place! They are trying to deceive customers!

Visited March 2013
Guillem O, Owner at La Biblioteca Gourmande Restaurant, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

My name is Guillem Oliva and I’m the owner of the restaurant. We had the opportunity to talk about this incident last Saturday, and I can see that my appologies were not enough.
YES, WE DID MADE A MISTAKE, even if we spoke the same language. But I made the biggest mistake because I let the new business manager take the order of your table alone, I should been there, by her side to help her. She is such a great professional, she likes so much her job...( yourself recognized that the service was one of the best in the city) that today when we read your words she got very upset.
I feel that I failed her, I was not by her side at her very first order.
I do not have nothing much to say than appologyze ourself again for this mistake, we will learn from it and hope it will not happen again.

I think that it will help you understand how we really try our best with a small detail: when we gave you the first bill, we didn’t know about OUR MISTAKE, but we decided to only charge 2 cheese assortiment instead of 3 because I could see that you were pretty young, may be students and I thought that it was too high for you. For me is a pleasure to see young people enjoying food and wine. So even if you did not realized, we tryed very hard to take care of you from the moment you entered, until the moment you left the restaurant and I hold the door oppened for you and I said: “Bona nit i disculpeu un cop mes” good night and excuse us once again.
Amstelveen
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This fairly new restaurant serves nice food with a touch of creativity for a reasonable price.
If you like Spanish wines, order the Red Bierzo wine.

Visited February 2013
Barcelona
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I used to love this place, but am never returning now. To be fair the food is very tasty and service is good, but paying 20+ euros for 3 shrimps is a joke even if they tasted well (normal).

Its too bad, but seems the place has converted into a turist trap.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere