“Literally Impossible To Skip Dessert” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Espai sucre

Espai sucre
Princesa 53, 08003 Barcelona, Spain (El Born / La Ribera)
+34 932681630
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,601 of 6,867 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Dessert
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Born / La Ribera
Description: The creators of the dessert restaurant school Espaisucre pride themselves on presenting this establishment as the only dessert restaurant in the world. Dessert lovers will find a modern and welcoming ambience where they can enjoy one of the menus that offer a range of interesting options. They offer a short menu of three desserts, a chocolate menu, a long menu of 5 desserts and two different tasting menus, which range between 30 and 55 Euros. Typical desserts include ?Idiazábal? cake with cherries, beet and black beer, or extra virgin olive oil cake with white peaches, green olives and San Simón cheese.
New York City, New York
“Literally Impossible To Skip Dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

A truly unique experience. A bit of molecular gastronomy with insanely vibrant flavors. Extra virgin olive oil cake, white peach, green olive and "San Simón" is impossible to resist, and the Chocolate, prune, oak, rum, tobacco dish is beguiling, even for those who don't like coffee and a cigarette at the end of their meals. There are a few tasting menus, but whatever you order, try the Goat "cheesecake" with raspberries, red pepper and ginger. I added it a la carte to my dessert tasting menu and it may have been the best thing I ate there. A little pricey, but it's not like you're eating there every day! Treat yourself!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tienen, Belgium
“À great experience !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Yesterday we went to Espai Sucre once again. Last year we went to the restaurant and it wa excellent ! This year we went for the new Tapas formula.
Chef Ricard was very helpfull and we took the typical Espai Sucre tapas with pairing wines. Once again à great experience !
Go there and let Chef Ricard please you with his selection or if you like something salty inbetween take the full menu, you won't regret it !!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Unexpected and brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I booked reservations on-line based off my guide book because I had always wanted to do an all dessert menu. Turns out this was the best meal we had in Barcelona. Do not eat dinner before going as it is not needed. Service was excellent and attentive. He did a great job of explaining the components of each dish that we tasted. The creativity is off the scale. The raspberry, goat cheese and roasted red pepper was amazing. My only hesitation was you pick one menu per person, there is no a la carte. I selected the cheese course, my husband did the tasting menu 1, and they did bring out extras of his savory dishes for me, and than began our dessert selections at the same time. Dishes I wasn't sure I would like I ended up loving. They also brought us out an extra dish which was a butter cake with lemon and basil, delish. For what we got I thought the price was very reasonable.

ny,ny
“Sweet & unusual dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Quite an experience. A small restaurant where everything is "dessert" - but you go there for dinner. There are 5 different tasting menus to choose from, two of which have savory/protein items. My husband had one of those. I had the big dessert menu - included 5 courses with all types of flavors to them. All of it was delicious and different. Even though it was not my husband's favorite restaurant overall (Moo was), his favorite dish in all of Barcelona was a octopus on the tasting menu, served on a cake soaked in wine. I am sure I am not describing it well, but he loved it. Unbeknown to us, they also serve "dessert tapas" in the back if you want to go for just dessert and not do a tasting menu. That is an option but the dinner is such a unique and tasty experience that I recommend going for the full meal.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Berlin, Germany
“Unique Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Espai sucre offers a unique dining experience. It combines state-of-the-art cooking techniques with creative, yet always enjoyable and easily-accessible, dishes. If you haven't tried "molecular" or modernist cuisine before, this will be a revelation. You do not need to be an expert on food to enjoy Espai sucre, you just need to come with an open mind, try the different flavors that are presented to you, see how they interact with each other and the matching wines that are offered.
Different menues are offered: 3-course (about 30€) and 5 course (about 50€). Among them are "all-dessert-menues" - something which is, as far as I am aware, unique in the world, and of course a must if you love desserts. Matching wines will be served for about 10 respectively 15€. They are chosen to compliment the food perfectly and from among the best producers of the world - the price is a steal and you should definitely take it.
Speaking of prices: Espai sucre is more expensive than your average paella-joint in Barcelona. But the quality of the food and the overall dining experience you will get for the about 70€ (40€ for a small menu) per person is incredible.
Restaurants like these are hard to find. Go there for an experience you won't soon forget.

• Visited June 2012