“Great food served with passion” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Con Gracia

Con Gracia
Martinez de la Rosa 8, 08012 Barcelona, Spain (Gracia)
+34 932 38 02 01
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Con Gracia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 6,970 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: International, Mediterranean, Spanish, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gracia
Description: At Con Gracia, chef Jordi Delfa offers his diners three carefully selected tasting menus using Mediterranean ingredients with subtle Asian influences. The Traditional menu offers a selection of five well executed dishes, while the Surprise menu, also consisting of five dishes, is designed to reveal the typical flavours of Con Gracia. The third menu (Expresion) aims to totally seduce diners with the sumptuous pleasures of Con Gracia's cuisine. The restaurant changes its menus every 2-3 months.
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Great food served with passion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We ate at con Gracia the day we arrived in Barcelona simply because it was the only day we could get a reservation at this tiny restaurant on the edge of the Gracia district (Hence the name, I assume). We were of course attracted by its rating and previous reviews, and were not disappointed. We had the "Traditional" menu, along with the wine tasting option, which offered a different wine recommended by the staff with each course
What can I say? Every mouthful was exquisite, starting with appetisers then fois gras pâté, followed by prawns, cod with tapenade and perfectly cooked rack of lamb, and ending with a perfect chocolate fondant, plus coffee and petit fours. All the wines were interesting and worked beautifully with the food , making the whole experience near perfect and up there with one and two star Michelin food I have eaten (and better then some who are allegedly of that standard)
We chatted to the owner over our coffee and were very impressed by his passion for what he, his chef (Irishman Paul Treacy) and his staff are trying to do with this restaurant, and his commitment to value of money. Is it good value? Well, it depends what you are prepared to pay and benchmarks elsewhere. A seven course tasting menu plus a different wine with each course plus a glass of cava ( outrageously priced at 3.50 a glass) plus a couple of other extras came to 196 euro, or £173. In New York I have paid more for something not as good, in England I have paid double for a supposed Michelin 2 star meal not in the same league, including wines which were overpriced to the point of larceny.
My only criticism (not really a criticism at all, since entirely my fault, for not booking earlier) is that the restaurant could not fit us in for a return trip to try the "Surprise" menu even though I called in the vain hope that they might have had a cancellation. No such luck
Unless you are on a tight budget, eat here when in Barcelona. And book early!

• Greek first
  • Polish first
“Not just simply great food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I firmly believe that the sign of a truly great restaurant is that not only does the food need to be excellent but the theatre of the experience needs to match. Con Gracia is such a restaurant.

Given the choice between the two tasting menus, my wife and I opted for the ‘surprise’ option. A very accurate description because you don’t have the faintest idea what will be brought to you next. You needn’t worry, everything that is brought to you is of exceptional quality, tastes divine and accompanies the perfectly matched wines.

What we weren’t quite prepared for was the great sense of humour of the gentlemen serving us (I suspect he was probably the owner). He had both my wife and I in hysterics which made the evening even more enjoyable.

All in all this restaurant ticks all the boxes. If you consider yourself to be a ‘foody’ then get booking once you have finished reading this review. Chop, chop!

Tromso, Norway
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We went to Con Gracia to celebrate our 25th aniversary as it was rated as Barcelonas #1 restaurant here at Tripadvisor. We selected the surprice meny with matched wines which turned out to be a good selection. However the steak which came as the main course didn't quite follow the quality of the rest of the courses. It was not as tender as one could expect and even if it was supposed to be medium/rare cooked it came out quite dry.
However the total experience was really nice, the service was splendid and we would definitely come back another time but we would make sure to not order the steak again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Bedfordshire
“As good as the reviews say...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This restaurant presents a great all round food and wine experience. Service was perfect and knowledgeable without being intrusive, food excellent and the wines just delicious. We had a lovely evening and couldn't fault it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Not just a meal but a dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a 50th birthday celebration after reading the very positive reviews on trip advisor. No wonder the reviews are positive. I would defy anyone but the most miserable person to enjoy a night at this restaurant. The staff are wonderful - even greeting us on first name terms on arrival (after some email correspondence) and making us feel very welcome and special for the whole evening - even when they were busy later on. What to say about the food? With some courses - words are hardly enough - the dishes were so amazing and even prompted my partner to state that the tuna sashimi dish was his favourite - he hates tuna!!!! Neither of us could fault anything we had to eat at all. These wonderful things included oils, breads and a spice dip (there's a little quiz re what spices are in it which annoyed me all night until they told me!), tomato water shots, miso soup with foie gras, the tuna, duck, cod, chocolate cake - all matched with amazing wines. One of the wines was a Chardonnay, which I was previously averse to but have decided to give another go because of this visit to con gracia. Watch out for the nippy little flower prior to the dessert course! If you love good food and great service do not miss this restaurant. Catherine, Dunfermline, Scotland

Visited June 2013