“Fabulous both times” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe De L'Academia

Cafe De L'Academia
Placa St Just, Lledo 1, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic))
93-319-8253
Improve this listing
Ranked #176 of 6,679 Restaurants in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
US
“Fabulous both times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I tried this restaurant one afternoon, and upon leaving, my husband made immediate plans for our return. Between the 2 of us over 2 visits, we tried 3 starters, three mains, and one of the bottles recommended at the bottom of the menu. All was lovely, and my husband loved his main so much, he had it both times. I tired 2 different meals and was pleased both times. The first was essentially amazing comfort food, and the second was perfectly cooked lamb. The pairings (pear with one, apple tart with the guinea fowl) are perfectly matched. As we don't like sweet wines, we had the granache blend and were quite happy with it. I most definitely recommend this place!

London, United Kingdom
“Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose this place due to the recommendation of a friend and the guidebook, and it lived up to all expectations. The place has a really good atmosphere, friendly service and lovely food! I started with the "little Bouillabaisse", very good, just the right amount with some big juicy prawns. For my main I had duck confit, that really was amazing. Loved it, a little pricey so maybe save it for a special occasion.

Edina, Minnesota
“Expensive, mediocre food but nice service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This resturant was recommended in many guide books as a good place to go. Unfortunately, our experience was not especially good. The food was not hot when served (although the plate was) and the fish was not especially tasty in a city known for its fish. The price was twice what we paid in other, better places. The service was attentive but not intrusive and was the best part of the experience. I would say stay away and find something better (like The Market Hotel resturant--it is great).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“The Real Deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

A tour guide recommended this place to us and it was our favorite spot by far. It is located in the Gothic section of town on the edge of a quaint Plaza. The building is old so you feel as if you went back in time. The restaurant does not have many tables which adds to the character of the place. The food was outstanding and the service was great. The owner/manager spoke to us about the history of the restaurant and recommended some of his favorite dishes. We really enjoyed the overall experience here. If you’re looking for authentic food, great ambiance and quiet location… try this place!

• Visited February 2013
York, United Kingdom
“A nice spot for lunch in the Gothic area...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Ventured here for lunch after reading some good reviews online. Nicely positioned near an old church in the Gothic area of the city. Arrived just after 3pm to find the restaurant nicely bustling and were shown to our table very swiftly. Tables and chairs reminded me of an 'old school style' with good quality yet simple table linens. We both opted for the menu del dia priced at €14.30 pp which included olives and extremely soft, fresh wholemeal bread as a cover, a bottle of mineral water to share, a starter of fresh spaghetti in garlic and olive oil, main of freshly poached Dorado with boiled potatoes cooked in an onion sauce and to finish a vanilla infused creamy flan. The Dorado was quite simply cooked to perfection and the other courses were tasty too. I loved the style of the restaurant including dark woods and moody lighting. There were only locals dining when we visited. There was a nice bar with tall stools where some clients were eating rather than at the tables. Glass of house red €4.20. Service was very efficient by both waiting staff. Little English spoken however for me that added to the quaintness. Would be happy to recommend although if I had to choose for lunch I'd opt for Arcano over Cafe de l'Academia.

• Visited February 2013